Sekou: Time running out for Woody?

niremetal

• Premium Member

Key lines for me:

The Hawks aren't guaranteed anything beyond their next 48 minutes of play, and neither is Woodson, whose contract ends the moment the Hawks' season does. But if Woodson is going out -- and after three straight losses in their Eastern Conference first-round series against the Milwaukee Bucks, the rumblings about his departure are stronger than ever -- he will go out his way.

Facing a close-out situation in Game 6 Friday night on the Bucks' home floor, Woodson insists he will stay the course. There will be no major change in the Hawks' defensive approach, no wrinkles in what they do on offense or in how they plan to deal with a team that has snatched the momentum in this series from the higher-seeded Hawks.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/sekou_smith/04/30/woodson/

Edited by niremetal

Well game freakin' over before Game Time (no pun intended). I can't believe Woody is THIS STUBBORN. I mean these are SIMPLE adjustments. Sekou pointed that out on 790.

Edit: Also from the article looks like Joe is acting as if him and Woody are the scapegoats. So It is looking like they will go out together.

Edited by GameTime

• Moderators

This is the first time I have seen an actual number associate with BK's efforts to fire Woodson:

[He survived an ugly dustup with his longtime friend Billy Knight, the man who hired him only to try to oust him on three different occasions before stepping down as general manager after the Hawks' playoff series against Boston three years ago.
Edited by AHF

Why would this surprise anyone. Woody has been this way forever. He DOESN'T ADJUST! He just hopes the Hawks can "play better". That's his plan.

The best we can hope is that he calls an appropriate timeout here and there.

If the Hawks approach this game the same way they have the past 3, it will be over by halftime.

• Moderators
Like Woodson, Hawks' captain and four-time All-Star Joe Johnson will be a free agent this summer, too. While there is no indication that his fate is tied to Woodson's, there is little chance one will return without the other.

What about this? I don't get it. So if Woody is gone then Joe is going too? I haven't heard that. I'd like to see what another coach could do with this roster.

• Premium Member

What about this? I don't get it. So if Woody is gone then Joe is going too? I haven't heard that. I'd like to see what another coach could do with this roster.

I'd like to see that too, but I think JJ likes the "freedom" that Woody's offensive "system" gives him. My hope is that once he realizes that no other team is going to give him that freedom either, he'll come back here with or without Woody.

That was Game Time actually reading what he wanted to into JJ's statement. Here is the quote from JJ. You make the decision on what he means.

"People like to blame you for everything that goes wrong but you have to get some of the credit, too, right?" Johnson said recently when asked about the tumultuous nature of both he and Woodson's careers with the Hawks. "We've won a lot of games around here the past few years and everybody has had a hand in that. From where we came from to now ... you can't just dismiss that."

To me . . . I think JJ is simply saying that no one person is to blame around here. And if you place the blame, you also have to give those same people credit for the success we've had as well.

That's how I interpret the statement.

• Premium Member
I think we’ve proven that when we move the ball, we are a good team, When we don’t, we are not as good. I’ve said it to , said it to our players, said it to the coaches, to my GM, to my 5-year old son.

Comments like these coming from an owner is troubling. This man has totally undermined his HC.

We have some of the worst fans in sports. JJ and Woody have done so much and all we do is bi***! the funny thing is most of the people complaining only started watching and going to games when the Hawks started winning. I bet my life that these same people will disappear again when this team goes back to winning 30 games.

but...

Woody brought most of this upon himself. He should have sat guys for not being more active on offense and he should have had Teague ready.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Comments like these coming from an owner is troubling. This man has totally undermined his HC.

We have some of the worst fans in sports. JJ and Woody have done so much and all we do is bi***! the funny thing is most of the people complaining only started watching and going to games when the Hawks started winning. I bet my life that these same people will disappear again when this team goes back to winning 30 games.

but...

Woody brought most of this upon himself. He should have sat guys for not being more active on offense and he should have had Teague ready.

Yeah, Woody has done a hellva lot. This team wouldn't win 20 games without his Iso's. I see some are already back to defending everyone in the franchise at any cost no matter how bad they suck.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

you know i have a roommate that has benn to a few basketball camps and what he said was the hawks make the basketball game so hard. when crawford first came in it was jumpshot city no one tried to post at all their was no ball movement everyone tried to back the ball in like their leader joe johnson does.

it also just pains me when i see witnower and kurt thomas putting in work on us two people that a lot of our posters said we didnt need. so another problem with this team is BASKETBALL IQ, BASKETBALL IQ, BASKETBALL IQ which is why you have to frown at woodson with folded arms.

so i would offer joe17 mill a yr. just to say thankyou takeit or leave it, then send woodson to the wwe to be a wrestling manager.