• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you think Sund has a secret candidate?

HawkItus

One thing Sund has been able to do is keep his cards pretty close to his vest. No one knew about Crawford before it happened. So is it possible, we don't know of a candidate who might very well be in the lead for this thing? And if so, who is a guy from left field that makes sense that we might be overlooking?

Matter of fact the ASG(excluding Billy Knight) is pretty good at this. No one had Sund as the guy before we pretty much had a deal in place.

• Premium Member

I just want it to have some pop. We have to energize the fan base. Nothing can ever move forward unless we give this team an identity.

Not only that, but it will send a message to the players that the organization is serious about winning. It's time for this franchise to grow up...

• Moderators

I just want it to have some pop. We have to energize the fan base. Nothing can ever move forward unless we give this team an identity.

I just want them to get it right. Mike Smith and Thomas Dimitroff had very little "pop" when they were hired but they were winners. For that matter, Bill Bellicheck had no real "pop" when hired by the Pats.

In contrast, guys like Rick Pitino in Boston, Larry Brown in NY, Isiah Thomas in Indy, etc. had plenty of sizzle but not much steak.

• Like 1

There may be, but I honestly don't think it's going to be anybody that's going to "wow" us. It'll be someone's assistant.

I keep seeing fans mentioning the wow factor when it comes to this hire, and my question is what coach out there that is available has that wow factor?

I got news for you guys. There aren't any. The NBA may have fewer really good head coaches than any of the other professional sports. There are really only 3, maybe 4, great head coaches in the NBA, period. I got news for you. You aren't going to wake up tomorrow morning, one week from now, or one month from now and read on the ESPN scroll by that the Atlanta Hawks have hired Phil Jackson/Larry Brown/Jerry Sloan to be their head coach. To me, when you say wow factor, that's what I envision. Those are really the only coaches in the NBA that I would honestly say WOW over. You could probably make a case for Greg Popovich to be included.

Where's the wow factor in hiring Avery Johnson? Byron Scott? Jeff Van Gundy?

I'm sure there would be a wow factor if the team hired a former star player to be the head coach, but how many star players have become star head coaches? Phil Jackson was a reserve player and CBA head coach before finally getting an opportunity to be an assistant coach with the Bulls under Doug Collins. Jerry Sloan worked as a scout and an assistant before getting his first job, where he went 94-121 in less than 3 seasons. He then bounced around as a scout and CBA coach before getting the call to coach the Jazz in 1988.

• Moderators

Its Charlie Murphy !

http://www.pr.com/upload/article_attachment_1197691885.jpg

He even dresses the part !

Nah... I'm going with Prince. He's proven to be such a superior basketball mind! :)

(DJ beat me to it!)

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

One thing Sund has been able to do is keep his cards pretty close to his vest. No one knew about Crawford before it happened. So is it possible, we don't know of a candidate who might very well be in the lead for this thing? And if so, who is a guy from left field that makes sense that we might be overlooking?

Matter of fact the ASG(excluding Billy Knight) is pretty good at this. No one had Sund as the guy before we pretty much had a deal in place.

Yeah, I think Doc Rivers is going to opt out of his contract at the end of the year and come and coach the Hawks.

Yeah, I think Doc Rivers is going to opt out of his contract at the end of the year and come and coach the Hawks.

Is he bringing Tom Thibideau with him, because without Tom, Boston would have been eliminated early in the playoffs.

• Moderators

LOL man what if that happen 4real.....talk about some ATL chaos that will go down!!!!!!!! I wouldn't even be able to take the hawks serious LMAO.

Playa Haters get into Philips half-price...

~lw3

It would be cool if they hade a selection show to announce the coach instead of a boring press conference. .... And the new coach of the Atlanta Hawks for the 2010 -2011 season is ......................suspense.......................... BILLY KNIGHT. :bye1:

Doc Rivers can't opt out of his contract at the end of the year to coach anywhere else. He can retire, but that is different.

• Moderators

How about a former Mavs assistant who led a team to the NBA Finals?

Of course, I'm talking about Lt. Frank Drebin Del Harris.

AJC: "Surely, Del, you can't be serious about wanting to be a head coach again, after your ordeal with the Nets?"

HARRIS: "I am serious. And please..."

~lw3

• Premium Member

I keep seeing fans mentioning the wow factor when it comes to this hire, and my question is what coach out there that is available has that wow factor?

I got news for you guys. There aren't any. The NBA may have fewer really good head coaches than any of the other professional sports. There are really only 3, maybe 4, great head coaches in the NBA, period. I got news for you. You aren't going to wake up tomorrow morning, one week from now, or one month from now and read on the ESPN scroll by that the Atlanta Hawks have hired Phil Jackson/Larry Brown/Jerry Sloan to be their head coach. To me, when you say wow factor, that's what I envision. Those are really the only coaches in the NBA that I would honestly say WOW over. You could probably make a case for Greg Popovich to be included.

Where's the wow factor in hiring Avery Johnson? Byron Scott? Jeff Van Gundy?

I'm sure there would be a wow factor if the team hired a former star player to be the head coach, but how many star players have become star head coaches? Phil Jackson was a reserve player and CBA head coach before finally getting an opportunity to be an assistant coach with the Bulls under Doug Collins. Jerry Sloan worked as a scout and an assistant before getting his first job, where he went 94-121 in less than 3 seasons. He then bounced around as a scout and CBA coach before getting the call to coach the Jazz in 1988.

Not as in "wow, what a great coach." More like, "Wow these guys are serious about winning." I know that there are good or even great coaches waiting in the wings all over the league. The problem is, that's exactly like saying there are good or even great players waiting to be drafted. We sat through 10 years of watching a coaches grow, only to give them excuse after excuse for every short coming.

Playoff guarantees...

Static rotations...

Overused ISOs...

Bad attitudes...

Undisciplined offense (and defense)...

I mean the list goes on and on... Do we REALLY want to sit through that again? REALLY!? This has nothing to do with bringing a championship coach into the picture. It is about bringing an established head coach. We have been dealing with unproven coaching talent and we haven't had a real coach in over a decade. I would like for the ASG to send a message to the players and the fans, but I'm expecting them to take the cheap route. So again, I'd like to say, "WOW" when they actually do announce the new head coach, but I'm sure it will be an underwhelming announcement that we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Blah.

Edited by Wretch