• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Those who want Casey to be our next head coach, explain to me why?

JTB

Everything I hear of Casey sounds like Woody or in Diesel words woody 2.0! I see some of you are actually hyped on Casey.............suprisingly! An I just want somebody to tell me some positive things about why you are so hyped on us possibly getting him! I mean Im going to tell the truth I know only what I read of the guy and like I said he sounds like Woody and I didn't have a prob with woody but I dont want the same type of coach we just had!

Some things you Casey lovers may be able to clear up for me that i read on him:

-he's a defense mind coach, that's good and all. i have no prob with that

-he doesnt have a offensive mind set! now i have a huge prob with that considering woody didnt have a offensive mind either!

-he hasnt really coached that long, to me this just means we are getting another inexperinced head coach.

Now those who want Casey or have no problem with him coaching here tell me some positives of Casey because I mainly hear negatives from the majority of the board about him coaching here.

• Like 1

seriously 9 times out of 10 when u get a new coach, u get an inexperienced coach because almost any experienced coach worth a damn wouldn't be available, and the experienced coaches that are available, are available for a reason. i'm sick of hearing this I don't want an inexperienced coach nonsense, what choices do u have? every great experienced coach was inexperienced at one point in time himself. Who knows who will luck out with the next Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan or Greg Popavich?

Everything I hear of Casey sounds like Woody or in Diesel words woody 2.0! I see some of you are actually hyped on Casey.............suprisingly! An I just want somebody to tell me some positive things about why you are so hyped on us possibly getting him! I mean Im going to tell the truth I know only what I read of the guy and like I said he sounds like Woody and I didn't have a prob with woody but I dont want the same type of coach we just had!

Some things you Casey lovers may be able to clear up for me that i read on him:

-he's a defense mind coach, that's good and all. i have no prob with that

-he doesnt have a offensive mind set! now i have a huge prob with that considering woody didnt have a offensive mind either!

-he hasnt really coached that long, to me this just means we are getting another inexperinced head coach.

Now those who want Casey or have no problem with him coaching here tell me some positives of Casey because I mainly hear negatives from the majority of the board about him coaching here.

Unlike Mike Woodson, Dwayne Casey actually produced results as a defensive coach. Our problem, except against Orlando, was never really scoring points. If I remember correctly we had one of the better offenses this season.

Unlike Mike Woodson, Dwayne Casey actually produced results as a defensive coach. Our problem, except against Orlando, was never really scoring points. If I remember correctly we had one of the better offenses this season.

ok he's a better defensive coach. we can agree on that, it being that woody's defense goets exposed but the reason we rank so high in offense had to do with johnson and crawford being able to create shots themselves so basically running isos the whole year but woody came to find out that isos dont work in the playoffs look at the cavs thats why they are sitting at home like us. dont let that ranking fool you! I know we were ranked number 3 and all but we dont have a offense scheme and it's proven you need one in the playoffs. isos just wont get it! Can Casey change our offense and make it productive in the playoffs? Better question can Casey change the offense completely cause without JJ assuming he leaves we only have one other player which is crawford that can create for himself and i can almost gurantee we wont have a high ranked offense with just crawford running isos by himself. we need to have a offensive gameplan wheather jj stays or goes!

seriously 9 times out of 10 when u get a new coach, u get an inexperienced coach because almost any experienced coach worth a damn wouldn't be available, and the experienced coaches that are available, are available for a reason. i'm sick of hearing this I don't want an inexperienced coach nonsense, what choices do u have? every great experienced coach was inexperienced at one point in time himself. Who knows who will luck out with the next Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan or Greg Popavich?

ok but there are coaches out there this year that are worth a damn , avery,mitchell,scott, and so on and we should be aiming at one of them because they are proven. now i agree with you about anybody could be the next phil, sloan or any other great coach but im asking you and evrery body else on this board do you really want to take that chance or would you rather get a coach who is proven to the game? me personally im done with experimenting new coaches! Im done watching this team lose and build back up every 4 years! I want ti win now! I want commited players as well as a committed proven coach that can make us better immediately. Maybe im the only one who feels like this........oh and thanks to who ever for the negative.lol

Edited by JTB

ok but there are coaches out there this year that are worth a damn , avery,mitchell,scott, and so on and we should be aiming at one of them because they are proven. now i agree with you about anybody could be the next phil, sloan or any other great coach but im asking you and evrery body else on this board do you really want to take that chance or would you rather get a coach who is proven to the game? me personally im done with experimenting new coaches! Im done watching this team lose and build back up every 4 years! I want ti win now! I want commited players as well as a committed proven coach that can make us better immediately. Maybe im the only one who feels like this........oh and thanks to who ever for the negative.lol

Its really easy to point out anyones negatives. This is suppose to be about "why Casey supporters want him" not "why you want a experienced coach". If the later is the topic you should change the title or create a new thread. I did not give you the negative but IMO this may be why you got it...thread creator going off topic is not exactly considered a positive by most.

Its really easy to point out anyones negatives. This is suppose to be about "why Casey supporters want him" not "why you want a experienced coach". If the later is the topic you should change the title or create a new thread. I did not give you the negative but IMO this may be why you got it...thread creator going off topic is not exactly considered a positive by most.

um he was simply just replying to my post, not going off topic

um he was simply just replying to my post, not going off topic

No I think he went completely off topic. He wanted people who support Casey to explain why. He clearly does not support Casey and just created a topic so he could get his point across concerning that. Thread should really be "Here is why I do not support Casey" or "Here is why I want a experienced coach" which is exactly how he is using this thread IMO.

He could really careless why anyone here supports him; this is just his backwards way of getting his own point across in what is clearly suppose to be "Supporters of Casey tell me why thread"

Well, the first thing that pops out to me is the fact that Dwane is a very strong defensive coach. He got results on a team that didn't have much talent at all. His big man rotation in Minnesota was Kevin Garnett, Mark Blount, and Craig Smith, who was a rookie. With that group of big men, Dwane had the 9th most efficient defense in basketball in 2005-2006, and through the first 40 games of 2007, that defense was also top 10. He got good defensive play out of the likes of Wally Szczerbiak and Ricky Davis, two players who never played a lick of defense prior to Dwane and haven't played any since Dwane.

The second thing that jumps out to me is that, no matter where he has been, his players have respected him and have enjoyed playing for him. Whether it was when he was an assistant in Seattle under George Karl, an assistant in Seattle under Nate McMillan, the head coach at Minnesota, or an assistant with Dallas, he is very well liked by his players and by people around the league.

The third thing that jumps out at me is that he is believes in discipline, but he isn't so overbearing that he takes all the fun out of the game. He knows when to punish players, and he has learned over his many years as an assistant that in the NBA, you don't have to focus on the smaller things like you do in college.

The fourth thing that jumps out at me is that his teams always play hard, and his teams generally overachieve. The true mark of a good coach is getting your team to play above its talent level. I don't think there is any question that his Minnesota teams overachieved, even though he had a losing record there.

Any limitations he may have as an offensive coach can be squared away by hiring a strong offensive assistant like Terry Stotts, who he might bring with him from Dallas.

Oh, and he's been an assistant coach in the NBA since 1994, so he isn't an inexperienced coach in the NBA.

No I think he went completely off topic. He wanted people who support Casey to explain why. He clearly does not support Casey and just created a topic so he could get his point across concerning that. Thread should really be "Here is why I do not support Casey" or "Here is why I want a experienced coach" which is exactly how he is using this thread IMO.

He could really careless why anyone here supports him; this is just his backwards way of getting his own point across in what is clearly suppose to be "Supporters of Casey tell me why thread"

no really i was responding to the comment made not trying to get off topic but since you think i got off topic lets get back on.......................................to all if you want casey to be our next head coach please tell me and this whole board why?

Well, the first thing that pops out to me is the fact that Dwane is a very strong defensive coach. He got results on a team that didn't have much talent at all. His big man rotation in Minnesota was Kevin Garnett, Mark Blount, and Craig Smith, who was a rookie. With that group of big men, Dwane had the 9th most efficient defense in basketball in 2005-2006, and through the first 40 games of 2007, that defense was also top 10. He got good defensive play out of the likes of Wally Szczerbiak and Ricky Davis, two players who never played a lick of defense prior to Dwane and haven't played any since Dwane.

The second thing that jumps out to me is that, no matter where he has been, his players have respected him and have enjoyed playing for him. Whether it was when he was an assistant in Seattle under George Karl, an assistant in Seattle under Nate McMillan, the head coach at Minnesota, or an assistant with Dallas, he is very well liked by his players and by people around the league.

The third thing that jumps out at me is that he is believes in discipline, but he isn't so overbearing that he takes all the fun out of the game. He knows when to punish players, and he has learned over his many years as an assistant that in the NBA, you don't have to focus on the smaller things like you do in college.

The fourth thing that jumps out at me is that his teams always play hard, and his teams generally overachieve. The true mark of a good coach is getting your team to play above its talent level. I don't think there is any question that his Minnesota teams overachieved, even though he had a losing record there.

Any limitations he may have as an offensive coach can be squared away by hiring a strong offensive assistant like Terry Stotts, who he might bring with him from Dallas.

Oh, and he's been an assistant coach in the NBA since 1994, so he isn't an inexperienced coach in the NBA.

finally somebody answers my question with a very strong response. very good post if this is all true espicially him getting the most out of his players and the part if he brings terry slot who i know of, that would be great. your comments made me think of casey as a possibly ok coach if he brings this type of attitude and same coaching ways as well as terry slots with him then im all for it. again good post!

Edited by JTB

Im pretty sure mike Woodson was a defensive coach of an nba champion that won that title because of being a great defensive team. Now what did Casey do again, win 20 games with KG?

Im pretty sure mike Woodson was a defensive coach of an nba champion that won that title because of being a great defensive team. Now what did Casey do again, win 20 games with KG?

doing it as an assistant and doing as a head coach is different. He didn't control personel and subs. Here he loved to play inadequate defenders all game long and sit the decent defenders on the bench all game

• Like 1

I support Casey - and I am hoping the Bulls are considering him for their opening. I think he did a good job with the roster he had, but wasn't really given a chance. He gets nothing but high praise as an assistant and seems to be respected by and have a good relationship with the players.

• Premium Member

Disagree.

Woodson was the architect of that Detroit defense that shut down Shaq and Kobe and won a championship... What has Casey done to be considered better than that?

• Premium Member

finally somebody answers my question with a very strong response. very good post if this is all true espicially him getting the most out of his players and the part if he brings terry slot who i know of, that would be great. your comments made me think of casey as a possibly ok coach if he brings this type of attitude and same coaching ways as well as terry slots with him then im all for it. again good post!

I disagree with KB. I don't think his minny teams overacheived at all. We might not like the roster now... but he had 3 twenty point per game players...

Under Sanders/McHale, thatteam went 44-38.

In his hands.... 33-49....

This is part of why I call him Woody II. What follows is a section of the article written after he was fired.....

Last season, Casey never settled on a rotation of player use, which made it harder for some of them to relax in their roles. The Wolves frequently blew leads and found ways to lose close games (4-10 in games decided by three points or fewer, 1-5 in overtime). They missed the playoffs for a second consecutive year and, with position in the draft lottery at stake, backpedaled to a 33-49 record.

This season, Casey did establish a rotation. The team still can swoon -- three double-digit leads blown in a week in mid-December and a 25-point edge nearly squandered against Chicago -- but it began winning close games (4-4 by three points, 4-1 in OT). That made the current skid as stunning as the 7-1 start this month.

"We've got to come together," veteran guard Trenton Hassell said. "It's kind of obvious we haven't been playing together some games. When we play together, we're a great team. When we've got individuals going off in another direction, we're kind of easy to beat."

Woodson was the architect of that Detroit defense that shut down Shaq and Kobe and won a championship... What has Casey done to be considered better than that?

Isn't being a defensive assistant under Larry Brown like being a defensive assistant under Bill Belichick? The guy at the top is the one running the defense.

• Premium Member

There really good, experienced coaches ALWAYS available. The question is twofold:

A) Are you going to pay for them?

B) Will he fit with your team?

♦ 2. I’m starting to get the feeling that all of these “insiders” writing that Dwane Casey has the “inside track” to the Hawks’ job are just parroting each other. I know this: Sund, the main guy making the decision, isn’t talking to anybody. I’ll repeat what I’ve written before: I understand why Casey is a candidate — I just don’t know why some consider him such a dynamic candidate. My sense is he’s one name in the pool — nothing more, nothing less.

Jeff Shultz, I hope your right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!