• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Woodson Takes the 'High Road'

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/100517-mike-woodson-atlanta-hawks

this is from Monday, 17 May 2010

Sorry if already posted. I did a search for " Mike Woodson Takes the 'High Road" and got nothing.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/100517-mike-woodson-atlanta-hawks

this is from Monday, 17 May 2010

Sorry if already posted. I did a search for " Mike Woodson Takes the 'High Road" and got nothing.

This will be an interesting season. The next coach is definitely on the hot-seat from day one. The naysayers and cheap shot artists that have attacked Woodson, could be eating crow at the end of next season. I hope not, but I would not be surprised. I don't want to hear the crap that this is the new coach's first year in Atlanta, if we are not a better team than this year because our new coach will have a playoff team roster to work with

• Moderators

This will be an interesting season. The next coach is definitely on the hot-seat from day one. The naysayers and cheap shot artists that have attacked Woodson, could be eating crow at the end of next season. I hope not, but I would not be surprised. I don't want to hear the crap that this is the new coach's first year in Atlanta, if we are not a better team than this year because our new coach will have a playoff team roster to work with

If the next coach gets the same roster. If Joe is gone then there's no comparison unfortunately. Frankly though we heard excuses from Woody for years about how young the roster was, no bigs, no vets, no PG. I'm sure this interview isn't very complete but to me the high road would include thanking the Hawks for sticking by him for 6 years when the GM wanted to fire him.

• Moderators

He said the right things about thanking the organization and the players. He got a lot of rope and a much longer tenure than most coaches. The team improved over time under his direction. He wants a new job and so isn't going to publicly bash his former employer.

Nothing remarkable here.

There is nothing that could happen next year for anyone to eat crow for calling Woodson a bad coach. That's a fact that won't change even if the next coach is just as bad or worse.

• Premium Member

There is nothing that could happen next year for anyone to eat crow for calling Woodson a bad coach. That's a fact that won't change even if the next coach is just as bad or worse.

I'm just saying that if the new coach has the same roster and doesn't make it into the second round then the bashing will once again start. I agree that it was time for Woody to go, the thing that sticks in my crawl is there doesn't appear to be a championship coach out there to be hired. I would have liked to see Larry Brown here, but he is not available. So in the end did we just change for changes sake?

• Moderators

So in the end did we just change for changes sake?

The team collapsed and quit on Woody. There was a substantial risk that they tuned him out so that even a Woody 2.0 with a fresh voice would be a significantly better coaching hire at this stage in the game.

• Premium Member

A lot of that depends on JJ. If the new coach comes in with no JJ.. Do you expect him to do as well as Woodson did with JJ?

• Premium Member

i think Woody went from being the lowest paid coach to making $2M per. Hell I would have coached the team for $50K. I guaran-damn-te that had I been hired the Hawks would have won at least 2 games vs the magic. And I would have laid Smoove's butt out at half court if he pulled his complaining while not getting back on D bs with me.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Sometimes, it's about making change for the sake of change. Addition by subtraction. Etc. Etc. Unless you are really kicking *ss, and I mean 50+ games and STRONG showings in the 2nd round or ECFs, then you need to start tinkering - BEFORE you overhaul. This team needs a new direction so bad it ain't even funny.

The team collapsed and quit on Woody. There was a substantial risk that they tuned him out so that even a Woody 2.0 with a fresh voice would be a significantly better coaching hire at this stage in the game.

This makes to most sense to me yet AHF As PO'd as Woody had me most of the season. I don't think we really saw woody's potential. It is hard to coach when people don't listen to you. Yes that is his fault too. I just think he made a bad choice in befriending the players, it came back to haunt him in the end. It kept him from making the right decisions when it came to sitting JS down and putting an elbow in his neck for doing stupid stuff. It kept him from taking people out of the game when they needed to be taken out. It seemed to be no repercussions for wrong doings by the players. I think if he had the respect of the players and himself he would have been able to make better decisions. He then would have had the opportunity to become a better coach.

• Premium Member

This makes to most sense to me yet AHF As PO'd as Woody had me most of the season. I don't think we really saw woody's potential. It is hard to coach when people don't listen to you. Yes that is his fault too. I just think he made a bad choice in befriending the players, it came back to haunt him in the end. It kept him from making the right decisions when it came to sitting JS down and putting an elbow in his neck for doing stupid stuff. It kept him from taking people out of the game when they needed to be taken out. It seemed to be no repercussions for wrong doings by the players. I think if he had the respect of the players and himself he would have been able to make better decisions. He then would have had the opportunity to become a better coach.

That was was one of my biggest problems with Woody. I'm sure he let these guys have it before and after games. But, when you have basically no plan for offense and you don't manage players' boneheaded mistakes IN_GAME, then you're not helping the team grow.