• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Del Harris?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Well we lost out on one ex-Mavs assistant and ex-NBA Coach of the Year who led a team to an NBA Finals. So... how about another one?

Sure, Del is getting long in the tooth. But he quit New Jersey as an assistant last February because Thorn refused to let Kiki hand over the reigns, so the desire is still there to coach. If we really want "experienced" AND "proven" AND "teacher" without settling for Lenny Wilkens, this might be that dude.

If nothing more, as Quinn Buckner noted during this SI article on the Hawks' coaching search, Del may be a willing assistant to a young coach like Casey or M-Jax, as he was for Vinne Del Negro and Avery previously.

Just stealing snippets from Hoopedia because I'm too lazy...

During his time with the Mavericks, the team has posted an impressive 355-157 (.693) record. In three of the last four seasons, he has been voted as the top assistant coach in the league in the annual General Manager’s poll.

Harris is one of the most experienced coaches in the NBA, becoming the 20th coach to record over 500 wins. With 13-plus years as a head coach, he has compiled a 556-457 overall record with three different teams.

In his last eight full seasons, Harris’ clubs won over 400 games, including an impressive 218-110 record (.665) with the Los Angeles Lakers. During Harris’ first season with the Lakers in 1994-95, Los Angeles went from a lottery team the season before to a 48-win team that beat Seattle, the division winner, in the first round of the playoffs. That season Harris was named the NBA Coach of the Year.

Though known for his defensive philosophies, in his last three seasons in Los Angeles, the Lakers scored the most total points in the league. In 1997-98, the Lakers became only the third team in NBA history to lead the league in scoring while holding their opponents below 100 points per game. He joined Pat Riley as the only coach in L.A. franchise history to register three consecutive 50-plus wins in a season, including a 61-win season in 1997-98. ((ASIDE: I'm guessing Phil is there now))

Prior to joining the Lakers, Harris coached the Milwaukee Bucks, where he remains the only coach in their history to guide them to four consecutive playoff appearances in his first four seasons at the helm compiling a 191-154 overall record (.554).

Before assuming Milwaukee’s head coaching position in June of 1987, Harris served as the Bucks scout and assistant coach under then-Head Coach Don Nelson (1983-1987). Del landed his initial NBA job with the Houston Rockets in 1976, spending three years as an assistant coach under Tom Nissalke. The Rockets promoted Harris to head coach following Nissalke’s departure prior to the 1979-80 campaign.

Though Houston had never been to the playoffs two consecutive seasons, he led the Rockets to playoff berths his first three seasons, highlighted by a trip to the 1981 NBA Finals where Houston lost to the Boston Celtics in six games. The Rockets established a then-NBA record during their march to the Western Conference Championship that season, winning eight games on the road during the playoffs, including the decisive game over the defending champion Lakers at The Forum in the first round.

Harris has also developed many young players into All-Stars in the NBA. In four years at Los Angeles, he had five different players make the All-Star Team, four for the first time (Cedric Ceballos, Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel and Kobe Bryant).

He also worked with three-time NBA MVP Moses Malone at the Utah Stars and Houston Rockets in Malone’s developmental years.

~lw3

I don't think there is anyone who thinks Harris would not be an A+ assistant coach. He would be perfect in that role.

At his age being the head coach is probably too much. Having to "communicate" with the likes of Smoove for an entire season is too much for anyone that age.

Del would be fine by me, but I really wish they'd just get moving on this. I would think it's pretty critical to have a guy in place just about as soon as possible, just to give him time to adequately prepare for the upcoming draft and off-season, not to mention get to know and learn firsthand about the players on our current roster, and the draft is two weeks from today....

The clock is ticking, ASG. Get 'er done....

• Premium Member

Everybody knows how I feel about Harris. He is one of the best minds in the game and I would love it if he were in contention. I would love it if he was our coach. However, I'm preparing myself for either Drew or worst... Action Jackson.

I don't think there is anyone who thinks Harris would not be an A+ assistant coach. He would be perfect in that role.

At his age being the head coach is probably too much. Having to "communicate" with the likes of Smoove for an entire season is too much for anyone that age.

Lol post of the day