• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Woody didn't listen to Drew at all?

GameTime

Thats the thing about this hire. The Drew supporters act like Drew has all this bball knowledge that he held back until the day he became a head coach. If thats true then he sold the Hawks short and didnt do his job the last 6 years. The Hawks gave this job to the lowest bidder.

Thats the thing about this hire. The Drew supporters act like Drew has all this bball knowledge that he held back until the day he became a head coach. If thats true then he sold the Hawks short and didnt do his job the last 6 years. The Hawks gave this job to the lowest bidder.

i been thinking this same thing and i honestly for some weird gut feeling thinks that larry drew does have alot of knowledge that he has been holding back but im not going to jump the gun and say it was completely his fault cause it does sound like woody never listened or took advice from his staff, woody kinda just did things on his own.

Think about this. Just about any assistant who goes against a stubborn head coach wont have a job. He has to implement what his coach tells him to. People need to realize they are not equals. Mike Woodson learned mostly under Larry Brown. His thing was trying to run the whole show and allowing assistants very little imput.. If I recall, didnt Drew try to leave early on in Woodsons tenure, but was denied by BK? That could very well lead u to believe that their concepts clashed abit. Im very curious with the direction he decides to go with the team (Get a true C?,new pg?Josh or AL?,is unleashing marvins potential possible, draft/trades)

People act as if it's so uncommon for an employee's ideas to not get through to their immediate superiors. If your boss has a certain way of doing things you can't just interject your ideas and have them implemented over his, that's an easy way to either get fired or demoted. All you can do in that situation is appeal to upper mangement and they certainly thought Drew valuable considering members prevented him from leaving and even looked to promote him in the past before this.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Exactly. We have no idea what kind of coach Drew is. The only thing we know for a fact is that Woodson obviously blew this guy off for years. Time will tell if Woodson knew what he was talking about or if it was another sign of how idiotic Woodson was in the first place.

:slap1:

You decide.

1- Woodson was open minded, asked for and recieved a lot of good advice from his assistant coaches.

2- Bull headed and stubborn. It's my way or no way. I'm the boss. I'll play who I want to play - for as many

minutes as I want them to play and I'll play favorites with the roster. I'll have my dog house for those I choose

to have in it. No one else will have any say about what or how I do things.

You decide which best describes our former head coach.

:question:

• Premium Member

You decide.

1- Woodson was open minded, asked for and recieved a lot of good advice from his assistant coaches.

2- Bull headed and stubborn. It's my way or no way. I'm the boss. I'll play who I want to play - for as many

minutes as I want them to play and I'll play favorites with the roster. I'll have my dog house for those I choose

There's also a third option: he received good advice and was too stubborn to act on it because it wasn't "his" idea. I only pray that's what we got now.

People act as if it's so uncommon for an employee's ideas to not get through to their immediate superiors. If your boss has a certain way of doing things you can't just interject your ideas and have them implemented over his, that's an easy way to either get fired or demoted. All you can do in that situation is appeal to upper mangement and they certainly thought Drew valuable considering members prevented him from leaving and even looked to promote him in the past before this.

Good point

You decide.

I'd have to choose option #2. I remember Woody saying something about how his staff wanted him to play his bench more and how he decided to do what he wanted instead.

For at least the last two years Woodson's staff said that he needed to play the bench more, and he ignored them. There is a Woody quote on this from the 07-08 playoff run when he essentially played 6 guys for the last 20 games.

I think Drew also worked a lot with the PGs, but that could just be me inserting ideas.

All said, this has the appearance of being a pathetic, cop-out hire.

At some point the ASG simply has to reform. They are just too poor to be owning a pro franchise, let alone two. The Hawks appear to win in spite of the owners. I've said it before and it bears repeating: the ASG make it really hard to be a fan of their teams. It's getting to the point where I feel like it's the ASG Hawks and Thrashers and not the ATL. That is not a good place to be.

Well, Mr. Drew, I hope you are the next great coach.

For at least the last two years Woodson's staff said that he needed to play the bench more, and he ignored them. There is a Woody quote on this from the 07-08 playoff run when he essentially played 6 guys for the last 20 games.

I think Drew also worked a lot with the PGs, but that could just be me inserting ideas.

All said, this has the appearance of being a pathetic, cop-out hire.

At some point the ASG simply has to reform. They are just too poor to be owning a pro franchise, let alone two. The Hawks appear to win in spite of the owners. I've said it before and it bears repeating: the ASG make it really hard to be a fan of their teams. It's getting to the point where I feel like it's the ASG Hawks and Thrashers and not the ATL. That is not a good place to be.

Well, Mr. Drew, I hope you are the next great coach.

Larry works a lot with guards, period. He has the Larry Drew Advanced Guard Academy. A lot of guards from the high school level all the way up to the NBA level have gone to his camps at this academy to get fundamental teaching from Larry. A few comments I have found:

"Larry Drew is a great NBA coach. He emphasizes guard skills playing with and without the ball and knowing where to find your spots. Coach refined my midrange game, using the backboard, and selling my ball fakes. If you are one of those players who thinks he knows everything, I suggest that you introduce yourself to Coach Drew. He will change your mind. Any serious player who works with him will understand his level of discipline and focus."

--Richard "Rip" Hamilton, Detroit Pistons

"Coach Drew helped me improve my perimeter game, especially my shooting skills, at New Jersey. I value him as a coach and teacher. He has played with and against some of the best guards in the history of the league, and he has helped coach many of the top players in the NBA. He is from the 'School of Hardknocks' and teaches young players the way the game is supposed to be played.

--Richard Jefferson, New Jersey Nets

"Coach Drew is a very passionate coach who knows the point guard position inside and out. He is a great teacher of fundamental skills which I think all youth should concentrate on. Any young player who has a chance to attend Coach Drew's camps will appreciate his ability to make players better."

--Baron Davis, Golden State Warriors

• Like 1

Larry works a lot with guards, period. He has the Larry Drew Advanced Guard Academy. A lot of guards from the high school level all the way up to the NBA level have gone to his camps at this academy to get fundamental teaching from Larry. A few comments I have found:

These quotes should be "pinned up" so everyone can read them

As coach of the Washington Wizards for two seasons, I was blessed to have Larry Drew on my coaching staff as one of my valued assistants. He was a terrific player at 3 levels--high school, college, and the NBA

--and now is a great teacher of the game. He excels in his work with perimeter players, especially the point guard position, teaching the skills necessary to play maybe the most important position in basketball. He is a terrific communicator, relates well to athletes of all ages, and has a PASSION that reveals his LOVE for the game...I highly recommend The Advanced Guard Academy.

--Doug Collins, TNT NBA Analyst

----------------------------------------------------

"Larry is one of the great guys of the NBA--a great player, coach, and friend. He is always part of the Lakers Family. I recommend him highly in his ability to coach players of all backgrounds."

--Earvin "Magic" Johnson, NBA Hall of Famer Los Angeles Lakers

"Coach Drew is someone any player and coach can learn from. He is a great skill development coach, especially with guards. I really enjoy his ability to teach the art of shooting. Unfortunately most youth and college players practice bad shooting habits. As a coach, I appreciate Coach Drew's efforts to teach discipline, fundamentals, and confidence to players of all levels."

--John Calipari, Head Coach University of Memphis

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I was certainly never a Woody fan, but lets remember. Woody accumulated a ton of loses early on in his career and just about the time the team started winning he was basically give a "no confidence" vote when they didn't extend him. I blame this on ownership/GM because it was only logical for Woody to have a "win at all costs, to heck with the future" attitude because he knew his future was on the edge anyway. Why develop for the future when the organization hasn't given him any love. Plus, every win he could get would make his resume look better if he was fired and had to go out job-shopping.

It was a major mistake by ownership having a coach whose personal motivation was different than what was best best for the future of the franchise. Woody probably felt "why sacrifice for the future if I'm not gonna be a part of it?'