• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jermaine O'Neal

GameTime

Aren't you the guy who recommended signing Iverson? Now you want to insist in signing another undersized center? Your genius suggestions are just too much...

I recommended signing AI under the basis that JJ was not resigned and we had Craw starting. We are not winning a championship and may not go to the playoffs with Craw starting.

But back to this thread.....

7'0 255 lbs is undersized? Dwight is 6'11 265 lbs is he undersized? Please show me this 7'6 350 lbs FA center we can get with the MLE.

• Like 1

The 2003 Eastern Allstar team presented by Gametime.

I tend to remember JO's playoff series performance more than most for how atrocious it was considering he was the starting center and 3rd option on that team. To save time, Zaza had a PER of 12.6 in the playoffs, slightly down from the 13 he posted in the regular season. JO had the biggest swing managing a PER of 2.5 down from his lofty reg season of 18.....how does that even happen?

The 2003 Eastern Allstar team presented by Gametime.

I tend to remember JO's playoff series performance more than most for how atrocious it was considering he was the starting center and 3rd option on that team. To save time, Zaza had a PER of 12.6 in the playoffs, slightly down from the 13 he posted in the regular season. JO had the biggest swing managing a PER of 2.5 down from his lofty reg season of 18.....how does that even happen?

We can't kid ourselves. Zaza gives maximum effort and you can't coach that but J.O. would be a huge upgrade especially if he is willing to play for the MLE. The only problem sis Zaza doesn't come cheap. He made nearly 5M this year (4.75M to be exact). He is getting a pretty penny.. If Zaza is going to be making near 5M we can't afford to have nearly 11M tied up in backup/part time starting Centers I will say that if I had to overpay for a backup Center, I would much rather overpay for J.O. Who could we get to take on Zaza at nearly 5M? I imagine their won't be many takers.

Edited by 99PROBL3MS

I recommended signing AI under the basis that JJ was not resigned and we had Craw starting. We are not winning a championship and may not go to the playoffs with Craw starting.

But back to this thread.....

7'0 255 lbs is undersized? Dwight is 6'11 265 lbs is he undersized? Please show me this 7'6 350 lbs FA center we can get with the MLE.

Even if Joe didn't resign, AI would be my last option. He hasn't shown any signs of commitment or determination with any team he's played for in the past couple of seasons. Why would coming to Atlanta be any different and make us championship contenders?

Now back to this thread....

JO isn't a legit 7 footer. He's listed as 6'11. Also, don't use Howard as an example, Dwight is a freak of nature. A more sizable comparison to him would be Horford, and he doesn't have much on Al.

We can't kid ourselves. Zaza gives maximum effort and you can't coach that but J.O. would be a huge upgrade especially if he is willing to play for the MLE. The only problem sis Zaza doesn't come cheap. He made nearly 5M this year (4.75M to be exact). He is getting a pretty penny.. If Zaza is going to be making near 5M we can't afford to have nearly 11M tied up in backup/part time starting Centers I will say that if I had to overpay for a backup Center, I would much rather overpay for J.O. Who could we get to take on Zaza at nearly 5M? I imagine their won't be many takers.

Zaza is getting paid right in line with any backup C in the league and he understands that he's just that, a backup. I don't know what mindset JO will come in with or know what skills he offers us. I mean everybody is down on Joe for his playoffs but he didn't fall anywhere as hard as JO did and that's what's sticking out to me the most about him right now. 20% shooting from your starting C? 21 points total over 5 games? Can't tell me Perk and Sheed did all that to him.

I understand that he is making what most backups do but 5M is 5M. I was just saying that if I had to pay a backup C 5M I would rather it be J.O. than Zaza. That isn't a slight to Zaza but just my honest opinion on how I value those players. As bad as he looked in the playoffs, I would take him over Zaza.

• Moderators

Hawks should offer the BAE and that's it. During the Hawks first-round funk I remember saying, "Well, it could be worse, we could have Jerm Daddy swinging and missing from 2 feet in front of the net." If we're really all about stepping up in the playoffs from here on out, then you don't go after the tallest and richest man on the floor going 9-for-44 over the course of 5 playoff games. Hope he saved up his $20+ million salary over the years because he's about to take quite a paycut.

That said, he'll get paid a little more than the MLE by a team like New York, looking to fill out its depleted rosters with anything around 7-feet tall that moves.

~lw3

Hawks should offer the BAE and that's it. During the Hawks first-round funk I remember saying, "Well, it could be worse, we could have Jerm Daddy swinging and missing from 2 feet in front of the net." If we're really all about stepping up in the playoffs from here on out, then you don't go after the tallest and richest man on the floor going 9-for-44 over the course of 5 playoff games. Hope he saved up his $20+ million salary over the years because he's about to take quite a paycut.

That said, he'll get paid a little more than the MLE by a team like New York, looking to fill out its depleted rosters with anything around 7-feet tall that moves.

~lw3

Jermaine will find a job. Post players are always in demand; and for 1/4 of the teams in the league Jermaine will be a huge BU upgrade. Even if it just for one or two years. Hell the Celtics could use him if Wallace really does retire.

I would be all for signing JO on the cheap, he is actually an average size for a center. There arnt that many 7'1 centers in the league right now that's actually dominant. And he wound give us what we need off the bench.

• Moderators

Here are three reasons not to be too excited about Jermaine O'Neal:

2007-08 6.7 rpg

2008-09 6.4 rpg

2009-10 6.9 rpg

Rebounds per 36 over that time? Roughly 8.3 rp36.

Zydrunas Ilguaskas rp36? 11.0, 10.0 and 9.3

Zaza dominates him. Basically, everyone can put up better rebounding numbers.

• Premium Member

I've been debating with myself about JO for a couple of months now... even before the season ended, I was thinking he could be a worthwhile target. After more study, the guy has has the occasional stand-out game, but my enthusiasm has slowed as I began watching his play more closely at the end of the season. He's not worth the MLE at this point, imo. His stats are diminishing, and moreover, the guy is just not a high-energy player. What he does have is a knack for finding a way on both ends of the floor to touch the ball a lot... more about his wisdom, such as how to take certain angles to the ball, than about his feet these days.