• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any chance losing Joe might be a blessing?

ATL_BALLER

Forgive me if this has been beaten to death in prior threads, but think about: depending on who replaces Joe (if anyone), it:

*Puts the onus on Josh, and especially Marvin, to really grow up and be accountable

*Let's us a play the more up-tempo game we've long coveted

*Frees us from being burdened with a potentially crippling contract in a couple of years (ok, so that's the ASG in me talking)

Sure, we'd may take a couple of steps back for a bit, but really, how much better are we expecting to be with him? Without him, we reopen the unknown - and the possibility of a higher ceiling.

[Honestly, I would love to keep Joe, however, I have been thinking it may be best if he leaves the Hawks. Some of the players have been constantly talking about locker room problems. Honestly, I think Joe was the main source of the problems. I don't know what happened after midseason, but something killed the team chemistry. So, to me, Joe's departure may be a blessing in disguise. Whatever team he is traded, we will beat the socks off them because they will be playing with heart.

[Honestly, I would love to keep Joe, however, I have been thinking it may be best if he leaves the Hawks. Some of the players have been constantly talking about locker room problems. Honestly, I think Joe was the main source of the problems. I don't know what happened after midseason, but something killed the team chemistry. So, to me, Joe's departure may be a blessing in disguise. Whatever team he is traded, we will beat the socks off them because they will be playing with heart.

Sentiments exactly. Never want to lose a 20/5/5 guy but Marvin does for some reason seem to play better without Joe. If Josh Smith takes a bigger role in the offense, if we get him more on the block more often and he becomes a 18-20 point per game scorer, I can't complain with that especially if he's doing so more efficiently by nature of the position and his improved shot selection.

To me if Larry Drew does indeed install a real offense, we may not skip a beat offensively because as good as Joe was, the isolation plays with him may hardly be more effective than ball movement plays without him

I think if we lose Joe, we still have a strong core. Al will emerge as the leader and a scorer;Josh, hopefully, will lose weight or tone up, so he can become more effective. Marvin and Jeff/Jamal will do what point guards as suppose to do. However, I need a big man. I love Al, but he needs help.

In short, no. JJ is far and away the best player on the team and to lose him will cause the team to go backwards in at least the short term. Worst case scenario is to become a consistently mediocre team as it substantially limits (although there are obvious exceptions) the franchises ability to upgrade since it won't have a high enough draft pick.

Worst case scenario is to become a consistently mediocre team as it substantially limits (although there are obvious exceptions) the franchises ability to upgrade since it won't have a high enough draft pick.

Assuming JJ walks, this is the big danger. Who LD designates as the go to guy next season is going to be huge. Do we have or can we get anyone worthy of this roll?

Here's the thing. If you look at Joe Johnson's numbers and compare them to Jamal Crawford's numbers throughout their career, they are almost identical players. Over their careers, both players have averaged 17.2 points per 36 minutes. Joe is a slightly better shooter over his career with a .528 TS% and .493 eFG% compared to Jamal's .524 TS% and .475 eFG%. They have essentially the same USG% with Joe posting a 23.3 and Jamal posting a 23.4. Joe's defensive rating is 110 where Jamal's is 111. Joe's PER is 15.3 whereas Jamal's is 15.4.

Based on the numbers, Atlanta will suffer very little drop off if any at all by making Jamal Crawford their starting shooting guard. The drop off occurs when you look at the depth. Atlanta will have no depth at shooting guard if Joe Johnson leaves. The top guy will likely be Mo Evans or whoever the Hawks draft at 24. Depending upon how much he is looking to get, John Salmons actually wouldn't be a bad rotational player to get while the rookie gets trained up.

I think the difference in depth could be made if the Hawks make a strong push and get Josh Childress back into the fold, or if they are somehow able to get Luol Deng in a sign and trade deal that sends Joe to Chicago.

If Joe walks for nothing Jamal Crawford instantly becomes our leading scorer, shot taker and go to guy. That sounds like a lottery team to me.

For the above reason, I think Crawford may need to go if JJ goes. Give one of our young guys the opportunity to take the lead, and see if they have what it takes. If Crawford becomes our leading scorer, we are headed toward mediocrity.

Here's the thing. If you look at Joe Johnson's numbers and compare them to Jamal Crawford's numbers throughout their career, they are almost identical players. Over their careers, both players have averaged 17.2 points per 36 minutes. Joe is a slightly better shooter over his career with a .528 TS% and .493 eFG% compared to Jamal's .524 TS% and .475 eFG%. They have essentially the same USG% with Joe posting a 23.3 and Jamal posting a 23.4. Joe's defensive rating is 110 where Jamal's is 111. Joe's PER is 15.3 whereas Jamal's is 15.4.

LOL @ your "defensive rating". Did you just make that up? JJ is a better defender than Crawford by a mile, which admittedly isn't saying much. JJ also gets roughly twice as many assists and rebounds.

If JJ walks for nothing we lose a 4 time all star and don't have the cap room for a comparable replacement.