• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC: Atlanta Hawks: J.J. willing to play for less money in New York?

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard says the Knicks will meet with J.J. in Los Angeles soon after free agency opens at midnight Thursday.

That’s no surprise since New York is one of a handful of teams with the cap space to offer J.J. a max deal and it’s always been speculated J.J. would look at the Knicks because of his his strong relationship with coach Mike D’Antoni from their Phoenix days. Until now I’d always heard New York wasn’t very interested in Johnson, but apparently that’s not the case. Broussard says the Knicks think J.J. can sell LeBron on teaming up in New York, which seems to be kind of an odd arrangement.

The most interesting part of Broussard’s story is that he reports Johnson is willing to take less money from the Knicks, who can’t pay him as much as the Hawks due to salary-cap rules. According to Broussard, J.J. believes he can make up the roughly $25 million difference through endorsements and stock shares in Madison Square Garden. If the Hawks resign themselves …

View the full article

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly I don't think anybody including Joe knows where he is going to go. People can speculate all they want but if he really thinks New York is the better place for him to go, best of luck to him because somebody as mentally weak as Joe Johnson is going to be eaten alive by that fan base and media when he struggles in the playoffs.

Sign & Trade; get something instead of nothing.

Problem is New York has NOTHING to trade back to us. Neither does Miami, and The Nets aren't giving up Devin Harris or Lopez. Best thing we could get is a trade exception,

I don't believe Joe is willing to take less money. This should be the biggest contract in his career, and he won't get another chance at a contract like this 3 or 4 years down the road. If anything, it would be LBJ who would take the pay cut because he could easily regain the money with bigger endorsement offers from playing in NY.

• Premium Member

Sign & Trade; get something instead of nothing.

I don't think you understand: if Joe is willing to play for less money then he does not need to do a sign and trade. Which means our worst fears of losing Joe for literally nothing, not even a second rounder that the ASG could sell next year, would come true.

I would doubt Joe is just going to commit to a lesser deal without exploring the sign and trade option with the Hawks. His agent should be fired if he lets him sign a deal for 20 or 30 million less with a team like the Knicks without giving the Hawks a shot at a sign and trade.

I would doubt Joe is just going to commit to a lesser deal without exploring the sign and trade option with the Hawks. His agent should be fired if he lets him sign a deal for 20 or 30 million less with a team like the Knicks without giving the Hawks a shot at a sign and trade.

The only team that would entertain giving JJ 6 years and $119 mill is a sign a trade are the teams that Bosh, Stoudemire, & James pass on.

James, Bosh, & Stoudemire are signing 5 year $92 mill deals.....not S&T 6 year $119 mill deals.

Edited by coachx

No, his agent should be shot if he can't manage a way to find Joe endorsement deals. He could probably make a whole game check by just showing up to some kid's bar mitzvah yet alone all the other major businesses.

Problem is New York has NOTHING to trade back to us. Neither does Miami, and The Nets aren't giving up Devin Harris or Lopez. Best thing we could get is a trade exception,

Wilson Chandler would be the guy if NY wants to do it...that is about it.

Edited by Buzzard

Broussard said this? He is a dope.

Notice he talks about "stock options", thats a clear violation of the CBA. Specifically, its Circumvention and the NBA has already gone out of its way to dismiss this possibility that the Knicks could offer stock in MSG.

Get ready for horrible reporting coming from ESPN for the next 2 weeks. Its good to see MC is quick on dismissing Broussard's report on stock options. We lucked out getting him as a beat writer, I thought it would be hard to replace Sekou (he had good locker room connections). But MC gets the facts right and produces nice articles that deal with the CBA. To me, that easily trumps Sekou.

• Moderators

Broussard said this? He is a dope.

Notice he talks about "stock options", thats a clear violation of the CBA. Specifically, its Circumvention and the NBA has already gone out of its way to dismiss this possibility that the Knicks could offer stock in MSG.

The suggestion that such "stock option financing" talk came from Joe "E.F. Hutton" Johnson made me LOL.

~lw3

• Moderators

Frankly I don't think anybody including Joe knows where he is going to go. People can speculate all they want but if he really thinks New York is the better place for him to go, best of luck to him because somebody as mentally weak as Joe Johnson is going to be eaten alive by that fan base and media when he struggles in the playoffs.

a5e7a3047ac216d3c6cb64_large.jpg

?

~lw3

Wrong....dead wrong. Any player that is signable by the knicks that was on their roster last year is signable and tradeable to us in them taking on JJ. On that list is:

Tracy McGrady

David Lee

Al Harrington

Chris Duhon

Eddie House

Sergio Rodriguez

JR Giddens

Jonathan Bender

Any and or all of those players could be signed and returned to us in signing and trading JJ to the Knicks. The incentive to the Knicks is that in signing and trading for JJ they can give him the extra year and insure his signing. The Player they sign and trade to us would do it because it would increase what we could off them to play for a winner. If JJ is signed for 17 million, we can take back up to that amount in signing and trading him away. David Lee and Chris Duhon for a total of 10 million would look really nice to get for JJ walking. Yes that is possible. I wrote a lengthy writeup about this about 5 days ago.

Wrong....dead wrong. Any player that is signable by the knicks that was on their roster last year is signable and tradeable to us in them taking on JJ. On that list is:

Tracy McGrady

David Lee

Al Harrington

Chris Duhon

Eddie House

Sergio Rodriguez

JR Giddens

Jonathan Bender

Any and or all of those players could be signed and returned to us in signing and trading JJ to the Knicks. The incentive to the Knicks is that in signing and trading for JJ they can give him the extra year and insure his signing. The Player they sign and trade to us would do it because it would increase what we could off them to play for a winner. If JJ is signed for 17 million, we can take back up to that amount in signing and trading him away. David Lee and Chris Duhon for a total of 10 million would look really nice to get for JJ walking. Yes that is possible. I wrote a lengthy writeup about this about 5 days ago.

That is good insight. I would love Lee and Duhon.

This is going to be one of the most interesting offseasons in years.

Tracy McGrady

David Lee

Al Harrington

Chris Duhon

Eddie House

Sergio Rodriguez

JR Giddens

Jonathan Bender

I hate free agency just because I have to read things like this. I want you to go and find me all the dbl SNTs you can over the last five years. None is what you will find and none is what will happen again next season.

Lee BTW is not going anywhere. NY has his birds rights and he will be in their lineup right beside Amare if that is how Amare plays it.