• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ is Cuban's first target

Final_quest

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/joe-johnson-to-get-the-maverick-hard-sel.html

Owner Mark Cuban is heading to Los Angeles with the hope of setting up a face-to-face meeting with free-agent Joe Johnson soon after the free-agent gates open Wednesday night.

An NBA source said Cuban will have his plane fully gassed for quick trips to several other spots, too. But he will start with Johnson, while president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson begins free agency by making sure he's in Dirk Nowitzki's neighborhood by 11:01 p.m. Wednesday.

The Mavericks are hoping to pull off a sign and trade for at least one marquee free agent to pair with Nowitzki. It is believed Cuban has positioned the Mavericks on the short list of teams that will get a chance to make sales pitches to LeBron James . There also have been reports that Dwyane Wade will meet with the Mavericks - if the Heat are unable to recruit James and/or Chris Bosh to Miami.

The Mavericks have only one avenue to acquire one of the best free agents - through a sign and trade. They do not have salary cap room, even with Nowitzki opting out. So if Cleveland or Toronto or Atlanta doesn't want to lose their star free agents without receiving compensation, the Mavericks would have a chance of being in the conversation.

--Eddie Sefko

http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/joe-johnson-to-get-the-maverick-hard-sel.html

Owner Mark Cuban is heading to Los Angeles with the hope of setting up a face-to-face meeting with free-agent Joe Johnson soon after the free-agent gates open Wednesday night.

An NBA source said Cuban will have his plane fully gassed for quick trips to several other spots, too. But he will start with Johnson, while president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson begins free agency by making sure he's in Dirk Nowitzki's neighborhood by 11:01 p.m. Wednesday.

The Mavericks are hoping to pull off a sign and trade for at least one marquee free agent to pair with Nowitzki. It is believed Cuban has positioned the Mavericks on the short list of teams that will get a chance to make sales pitches to LeBron James . There also have been reports that Dwyane Wade will meet with the Mavericks - if the Heat are unable to recruit James and/or Chris Bosh to Miami.

The Mavericks have only one avenue to acquire one of the best free agents - through a sign and trade. They do not have salary cap room, even with Nowitzki opting out. So if Cleveland or Toronto or Atlanta doesn't want to lose their star free agents without receiving compensation, the Mavericks would have a chance of being in the conversation.

--Eddie Sefko

I sure hope this is true. Dallas is the best team for JJ to work with as far as our interests are concerned. If we are committed to working with the players we have and staying in the playoffs then Dallas is our best bet.

Joe for Damp/Roddy B is the most ideal trade. We get a young, upcoming player at a need position and an incredibly valuable trade asset.

• Like 2

Joe for Damp/Roddy B is the most ideal trade. We get a young, upcoming player at a need position and an incredibly valuable trade asset.

f*** that noise, Roddy B is no guarantee and Dampier is toast. If anything we would acquire Caron Butler in the SnT PLUS Roddy B.

I would actually like to see what Houston has to offer along side Kevin Martin....

• Like 1

I sure hope this is true. Dallas is the best team for JJ to work with as far as our interests are concerned. If we are committed to working with the players we have and staying in the playoffs then Dallas is our best bet.

Those are the 2 pieces I would want too if JJ wants out. Plus it gets him to the Western Conference.

I wonder what we could convert Dampier's non-guaranteed contract into ? I bet we could better then Butler if we are little patient with Dampier's non guaranteed deal. As the season develops there is alwayse a dissapointing team, or 2, that ends up having a fire sale. It was the Wiz last year giving away Haywood, Jamison, & Butler.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I've said it before I'll say it again: there is no way they would trade Roddy B. The fans and Cuban both were clamoring for him to get more playing time last season and they want to see him play. It is much more likely our cheap ownership would settle for Dampier's non guaranteed contract and filler. Then they simply cut Dampier and are off the hook for his contract.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've said it before I'll say it again: there is no way they would trade Roddy B. The fans and Cuban both were clamoring for him to get more playing time last season and they want to see him play. It is much more likely our cheap ownership would settle for Dampier's non guaranteed contract and filler. Then they simply cut Dampier and are off the hook for his contract.

I recall hearing the same thing about Courtney Sims.

May not make THAT trade, but there IS a price tag on any given player.

It's just not accurate to say "there is no way."

I just don't see anyway they part with RB. Just three days ago on ESPN, they were talking about Jason Kidd starting some games on the bench so RB can get some starts and Kidd can get some rest as well. I'm not saying there is no way they trade him but I just don't see it.

• Premium Member

I recall hearing the same thing about Courtney Sims.

May not make THAT trade, but there IS a price tag on any given player.

It's just not accurate to say "there is no way."

C'mon now you know what I mean. If Cavs said sure we'll SnT Lebron but we demaned Roddy B back then his *ss is automatically gone to Cleveland. But for a deal like this? No, he's not going anywhere. What Seattle got back from the Rashard Lewis trade is a lot more closer to reality than what I've seen on this board the last few days.

Can't blame you for your pessimism. Surely, we would get something for Dampier. Maybe work out a 3 way.

If this trend continues, Jordan Crawford should be ready for the Mavs in about 5 yrs.

I'd take any combination of young prospects and draft picks from whomever, this is part of why I was really bummed by us passing on Whiteside. If Joe is gone, save the cap, build for the future. I'm not concerned about replacing Joe with older less talented players just for the sake of it. All the complaints of him falling off with age and being less productive yet people are clamoring for the older Butler or Salmons and injury prone Martin to replace him. The money to production ratio exists for those clowns too.

C'mon now you know what I mean. If Cavs said sure we'll SnT Lebron but we demaned Roddy B back then his *ss is automatically gone to Cleveland. But for a deal like this? No, he's not going anywhere. What Seattle got back from the Rashard Lewis trade is a lot more closer to reality than what I've seen on this board the last few days.

Orlando had cap, lots of it. That's been the debate around here. We have zero leverage losing Joe to a team that can already afford him but to a team that can't we have all the leverage in the world. If Dallas strikes out on every other free agent and Joe is their last remaining option they will change their stance. Cuban can waste Dirks last few championship worthy years waiting on Robo Bobo to become Deron Williams or he can get the already proven Joe. He made the same decision 3 seasons ago with Devin Harris.

I'd take any combination of young prospects and draft picks from whomever, this is part of why I was really bummed by us passing on Whiteside. If Joe is gone, save the cap, build for the future. I'm not concerned about replacing Joe with older less talented players just for the sake of it. All the complaints of him falling off with age and being less productive yet people are clamoring for the older Butler or Salmons and injury prone Martin to replace him. The money to production ratio exists for those clowns too.

Yes. If we are looking at losing JJ, which no one can guarantee he would be back, draft someone please. Start preparing for the future now. White would have been a good get as well. He is a PG/SG who could be great off the bench teamed with Teague, Bibby, Crawford, or Crawford. Even if JJ comes back, he is Bibbys possible repacement off the bench by next season.

Makes no sense to pass on your future, when you have no idea what the future is going to look like. If all we get back is filler and Damp, they will sign a vet with the MLE and say they did exactly what they said they would. Problem is, with the money they are saving by losing JJ, they could have easily kept the 2nd round pick and still offered a MLE.

Orlando had cap, lots of it. That's been the debate around here. We have zero leverage losing Joe to a team that can already afford him but to a team that can't we have all the leverage in the world. If Dallas strikes out on every other free agent and Joe is their last remaining option they will change their stance. Cuban can waste Dirks last few championship worthy years waiting on Robo Bobo to become Deron Williams or he can get the already proven Joe. He made the same decision 3 seasons ago with Devin Harris.

Cuban will do everything within reason to try and win again this season. He knows Dirk has maybe 3 to 5 above average productive years left. Win now or trade Dirk is really his two best options. And we all know he will not trade Dirk...