• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

its official

JohnnyCASH

I actually did the trade checker on the same trade Tuesday but it didn't work. But switching Al Horford instead of Josh Smith it did. Being that Lebron is a SF he would fit in the rotation nicely. I don't like Lebron that much but I do like to win. In other words, it makes a whole lot of sense because Lebron would have his own team and he would still set up the Cavs organization nice because Al Horford is one hell of a player in his natural position and Crawford is to big time scorer in this league with a expiring contact. Good work man, I see you are actually thinking!!

Thanks...I like thinking BIG. And I hope Hawks management is too.

About what you said, I don't know how trade checker works for free agents, but I'm pretty sure that Al doesn't make enough money to get the trade done. LBJ will have a higher salary than he did last year so I think it will have to be J Smoove + Jamal for LBJ + filler.

Then, why are the Mavs in the discussion for LeBron...I thought you didn't need cap space if there's a sign and trade? Am I missing something here?

They are not but people talk about them like they are. Both the Mavs and whatever free agent plus their original team have to agree to whatever deal is proposed making it very difficult. You would have to offer enough valuable and pricey contracts to make the transaction both work and be acceptable by the opposing team, they can turn down or ask for too much of what you can offer.

as long as we get value back for joe i believe LD can turn the team around quickly swiftly bet Marvin has an all star season, LD seems like the type of guy who lets the kids be kids, but keep a strict leash on them so they understand a system of fundamental basketball thats what they preached everywhere he's been

Salim Was Still Good

I will never get behind a 6 year $120 million contract. JJ disappears too much in the playoffs for that...

I guess ASG decided to pay up for him. But good grief!

The playoffs? He's hardly visible during the regular season for long stretches as well. The Cult of Joe Johnson is an amazing media creation.

The article says,

The Atlanta Hawks were set to officially extend a six-year, approximately $120 million offer to retain free agent Joe Johnson at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, a person with knowledge of the offer told CBSSports.com.

Such an offer would constitute the maximum-salary contract that the Hawks can pay Johnson.

Translation: We heard from a guy that they could do it. It's not official per this article.

...He's hardly visible during the regular season for long stretches as well....

What assylum are you in floyd? and how often do you get the electro-shock treatments?

JJ was our MVP in a 53 win season...zzzzzzip....JJ was our MVP in a 53 win season.....zzzzzip...he was on the all-star team..zzzzip lol6.gif

What assylum are you in floyd? and how often do you get the electro-shock treatments?

JJ was our MVP in a 53 win season...zzzzzzip....JJ was our MVP in a 53 win season.....zzzzzip...he was on the all-star team..zzzzip lol6.gif

you're kidding right? Seriously, did we watch the same season? JJ scored 5.6 more points per game than Josh Smith but took 5.9 more shots to do it even though he made 129 more 3 pointers. That's terrible offensive efficiency. JJ only got 27 more assists as the main ball handler than a power forward. Josh grabbed 352 more rebounds, had 48 more steals, 168 more blocked shots. What season did you watch? It was Josh that had 2 putback dunks to win ballgames. It was Josh's defensive plays that turned around rallies by the other squads and it was Joe Johnson folding like a lawn chair in the 4th quarter that had the Hawks losing 4th quarter leads resulting in losses all season. Iso Joe was the culprit in countless losses this season. Don't believe me. Go back and read the board in March and April. Joe was at best co-mvp with Crawford, Horford and Smith.

30 times last season when you include the playoffs, Joe Johnson shot 40% or lower for a game. 6 of those he shot under 30%. He only played in 87 games total....30 times he shot 40% or lower. 35% of the time, your top shot taker is going to shoot less than 40% from the floor but is going to average only 3.5 Free Throws a game. Joe scored 1619 points last year on 1386 attempts for 1.17 points per attempt. By comparison, a real max player (Kobe) average 1.26 points per attempt. The reason, he gets to the line when he's not shooting well.

don't get me wrong. Joe Johnson is a good player but you don't pay players the max that are not the type that can lead you to a championship

don't get me wrong. Joe Johnson is a good player but you don't pay players the max that are not the type that can lead you to a championship

I think there are a lot of other players we could have done worse by over paying.... Joe isnt all that bad considering the trend of the last 10 years

Without Joe we aren't even sniffing 50 wins. He isn't even close to being worth 120 million, but who the heck else could we have signed that is better player than him?

ooh yea, i can see, we all saw that last year....the playoffs without joe, winning 4 in 11 games... that's like .3-- under 400 for sure.

Without Joe we aren't even sniffing 50 wins. He isn't even close to being worth 120 million, but who the heck else could we have signed that is better player than him?

I really fail to see why people have this opinion. The numbers just don't show this. He is actually third on the team behind Al and Josh in win shares and wins produced. The player the Hawks cannot do without is Al Horford, with Josh Smith a close second.

The article says,

The Atlanta Hawks were set to officially extend a six-year, approximately $120 million offer to retain free agent Joe Johnson at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, a person with knowledge of the offer told CBSSports.com.

Such an offer would constitute the maximum-salary contract that the Hawks can pay Johnson.

Translation: We heard from a guy that they could do it. It's not official per this article.

Don't have the link, but a yahoo report by Adreian Wojnarowski at around 3:15 AM states the Hawks did indeed make the offer. Joe will still meet with a contingent from the Knicks that does not include Donnie Walsh, and he will also meet with Dallas and Houston to discuss looking at them in a sign and trade situation.

I would wait for confirmation from Michael Cunningham, but here is Adreian's article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Johnson-taking-Hawks-six-year-offer-?urn=nba,252807

If you're serious about winning, you have to resign Joe Johnson. And then you go after a real superstar so that Joe can be the sidekick. With Joe on board, a CP3 or a LBJ might entertain the thought of playing in Atlanta. W/out him on board, they wouldn't want to come here. And if you have to give Joe the full max in order to be able to do that, you do it. You do it w/out hesitation...a CP3 or LBJ in Atlanta will solve any financial problems the Hawks would have. Phillips would be packed everynight and we'd be on national tv at least a few times a week.

Is there any chance that management is entertaining the idea of trading Josh Smith + Jamal Crawford + picks for CP3 or LBJ (if Joe and management can convince him to come to Atlanta....if winning is his top priority, we have 2 all stars here already ready to help him w/ that). That could be a reason for drafting Jordan Crawford (who is basically Jamal Crawford right)? Am I over analyzing this and getting myself excited for no reason?

Wow, imagine a lineup of Bibby, Joe, LeBron, Horford, Shaq (?) or hell even Zaza until we can find something better (and some veteran out there would bite at the opportunity to play w/ Joe, LeBron, and Al. That would help move Al to the PF position like he wants. I have Bibby starting because I think LeBron or Joe would be primary ball handlers and Bibby's shooting would be deadly w/ those 2 out there. Once Teague is ready, you can insert him in.

Or even, CP3, Joe, Marvin, Al, ? .

• Premium Member

you're kidding right? Seriously, did we watch the same season? JJ scored 5.6 more points per game than Josh Smith but took 5.9 more shots to do it even though he made 129 more 3 pointers. That's terrible offensive efficiency. JJ only got 27 more assists as the main ball handler than a power forward. Josh grabbed 352 more rebounds, had 48 more steals, 168 more blocked shots. What season did you watch? It was Josh that had 2 putback dunks to win ballgames. It was Josh's defensive plays that turned around rallies by the other squads and it was Joe Johnson folding like a lawn chair in the 4th quarter that had the Hawks losing 4th quarter leads resulting in losses all season. Iso Joe was the culprit in countless losses this season. Don't believe me. Go back and read the board in March and April. Joe was at best co-mvp with Crawford, Horford and Smith.

30 times last season when you include the playoffs, Joe Johnson shot 40% or lower for a game. 6 of those he shot under 30%. He only played in 87 games total....30 times he shot 40% or lower. 35% of the time, your top shot taker is going to shoot less than 40% from the floor but is going to average only 3.5 Free Throws a game. Joe scored 1619 points last year on 1386 attempts for 1.17 points per attempt. By comparison, a real max player (Kobe) average 1.26 points per attempt. The reason, he gets to the line when he's not shooting well.

I don't have strong feelings either way, but the flaw in your comparison is that Josh Smith doesn't have defenses set up to stop him unless you mean when teams tempt him to shoot from outside by not covering him at all. In fact, when Josh is not inside, the opponents normally use his man to double Joe. I don't know if Joe is a "max player" but for us, I believe he is a player that we definitely want to keep or get something for.

• Premium Member

One more thing.

Kobe without Gasol had the Lakers picking 10th in the Draft.

Wade hasn't gotten the heat out of the first round of the playoffs.

Stoudamire without Nash is just a little better than Average.

Bosh in Toronto looks pretty terrible.

King James had Shaq and Jamison and couldn't beat the Celtics who we dominated this season.

This are your ubber elite max contract players. I'm not saying Joe is better than these guys or even equal, however, I think there needs to be some reality in this discussion.

• Like 2

This better not hinder our chance to keep Horford. We better extend Horford this offseason so we don't face another huge contract situation next offseason.

Rememer that is up to Horford.

Its wise of Horford to test free agency and make the Hawks match the best offer he can find. His is RFA so I am not sweating it AT ALL. The ASG & Sund resigned Smoove and MArvin when they were free agents........and they offered Chillz more then any other NBA team did. He hopped to Greece and now tjhe Greece team regrets they ever did it.