• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Suns acquire Childress in a S&T for 2012 2nd & 3 mil TPE

GameTime

I don't think that anyone really expected to keep Josh.

It's just the compensation that's rather sobering.

I agree that it sucks, but we only have ourselves to blame for thinking [as fans] that we could get more for him. Sund usually gets as much as he can in a trade and if this is all he could get then I'm going to assume that's the best we could have gotten for him.

This move is particularly depressing because its a solid deal, Chill isn't overpaid in this. But we caved in, and for what? A 2nd rounder and a TPE worth enough to get us...not sure of anyone decent for around $3 million. We even have a thread going somewhere on how you cannot get any vet for less than that.

What happens if we don't do this S&T? Chill might sign the QO, we reach a contract with Chill, we get a S&T with actual assets in return, or Chill goes back to Greece. I think all of those are preferable to this S&T.

But Chill is NOT signing a QO. That's the point. He's not coming back here, and will not sign a cheap QO just so we can deal him to someone else. He'll go right back to Greece and make more money. I personally have no problem with simply letting the dude walk, just to get his cap hold off the books. But we did at least get something of "value" for him.

If memory serves me correct, we acquired Flip Murray for less than 2 million ( not via trade, but he was a low salaried player ).

Or maybe if we had added Chillz salary (even if it had only been the 4.8 mil QO) it would have kept us from making another move that we're looking to make (such as using the MLE or a trade) that combined with Chillz would push over over the luxury tax and we'd have to pay dollar for dollar. I'd love if we had an ownership group that could afford to spend well into the luxury tax but being minus 1 owner in the group and with this economy sucking so hard that's not a reality.

Having to overpay to keep Joe didn't help here either but I have to say if the option was to lose Joe and keep Chillz and still have the MLE to spend or to sign Joe and still have the MLE to spend I'll go with signing Joe.

Exactly.

Where's Exodus at? I'm sure he's not shedding any tears about Chill being officially gone from the Hawks. Chill was a nice player. He was great to have for our running game. But since Chill has left, the Hawks have seen their win total increase by 16 games in 2 years. Chill obviously doesn't want to play here, so I'm cool with just letting him go. He was not signing that QO, just to make maybe 3 million of the 4.8 million after taxes.

I appreciate your optimism JTB.

But the only thing this TPE can be used for is to trade for a player with a salary ~3M.

Jamario Moon would be nice if CLE decided they hated him.

Otherwise, its of no use.

oh im getting it now, we are only getting 3mil! LOL I thought we were getting Chillz full value back which would have been 6mil........well, still i feel that Sund and the ASG has something up their sleeves! either we are getting shaq and or making a deal with the cavs (could be after brad miller though i have heard nothing) or they are trying to find out someway to get huge talent like CP3, other than that this trade with the suns wouldnt make sense cause im pretty sure the hawks know they can get more than this for chillz as far as players go, so theres a catch somewhere, has to be!

This move is particularly depressing because its a solid deal, Chill isn't overpaid in this. But we caved in, and for what? A 2nd rounder and a TPE worth enough to get us...not sure of anyone decent for around $3 million. We even have a thread going somewhere on how you cannot get any vet for less than that.

What happens if we don't do this S&T? Chill might sign the QO, we reach a contract with Chill, we get a S&T with actual assets in return, or Chill goes back to Greece. I think all of those are preferable to this S&T.

After my extensive 3 minute search, calculating that Sund said he wants vets, taking into account how many roster spots the ASG will actually fill, and looking for teams that actually want to cut payroll as of now, I have found two vets and one pseudo vet that would take up most of the TPE

Chris Wilcox: 3 mil

Dahntay Jones: 2.5 mil

Julian Wright: 2.8 mil

The 3 mill from our 31st pick should easily cover the tax on these guys after we spend our full MLE to actually upgrade the roster right? Right? Kill me please

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Based on what I'm reading from the Suns' writers/tweeters, my guess is that Childress is getting a "flat" contract. That'd be the only reason they're using $6.5M of their TPE to acquire him...

That makes sense when you consider how much he was due from Oly.

EDIT: It needs to be said that this relatively small return for Childress is related to the Hawks' overpaying of Joe. It left them with little leverage.

Edited by mrhonline

1. You're making the assumption that those reports are true in a time when 95% of what you read online is BS.

2. You're making the assumption that one of them would offer us something better than what we're getting from Phoenix.

Both could be true but either way they're both still assumptions that aren't based on anything that we can prove.

Well I know Sekou said last year that Mil offered a 2nd rounder and Kurt Thomas and the Hawks considered it a bad offer. If Phoenix cant offer more than the MLE why we do a s & t where we get almost nothing for compensation since we never see our 2nd rounders here in ATL. Why not just match an offer at the mle? We can always deal him or Marv later for an asset, a real asset.

You accept 2nd round picks for nut cases like Mike Beasley when you need to clear cap space for what Miami did. Hell that 2nd rounder is from the Twolves so it will be much better than one from Phoenix. I want to make it clear that Im only upset IF this is really the trade. I cant see ASG and Sund going through all that the last few years from drawing the line in the sand and so on just to happily send him packing for a 2nd round pick.

vices

The Phoenix Suns are responding to the free-agent departure of Amare Stoudemire with two trades, according to multiple media reports.

The Arizona Republic reported on its website Sunday night that the Suns are acquiring Toronto's Hedo Turkoglu and former Atlanta swingman Josh Childress in separate transactions that will dramatically change the look of a team that made a surprising run to last season's Western Conference finals.

The Suns, according to the Republic, have agreed to send guard Leandro Barbosa and forward Dwayne Jones to the Raptors for Turkoglu, who badly wants a move after a rough first season with Atlanta. The Raptors then plan to use the trade exception it created in their Chris Bosh sign-and-trade deal with Miami to acquire Boris Diaw from Charlotte, with Jones heading to the Bobcats.

Barbosa and Diaw are players who were brought to Phoenix by current Raptors president of basketball operatons Bryan Colangelo.

In the second deal, Phoenix will acquire Childress in a sign-and-trade with the Hawks, who still hold Childress' rights after the restricted free agent spent the last two seasons in Greece. The Republic reported that Childress has agreed to a five-year, $34 million contract with the Suns, who will use a portion of the trade exception created in Friday's Stoudemire sign-and-trade with New York to absorb Childress' contract.

The Hawks, who had no financial flexibility to even consider matching offers to Childress after signing Joe Johnson to a six-year deal worth nearly $120 million, will get a 2012 second-round pick from Phoenix to complete the transaction.

The moves are intriguing for a variety of reasons, starting with the fact that Turkoglu will serve as a very different starting power forward than Stoudemire, with ballhandling ability that could potentially lessen the wear-and-tear absorbed by Steve Nash in running the Suns' offense.

Another reason: Turkoglu is current client and Childress is a former client of longtime player agent Lon Babby, who appears destined to replace Steve Kerr as the Suns' new head of basketball operations.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported Saturday that Suns owner Robert Sarver -- increasingly interested in succeeding Kerr with a revamped structure that includes non-traditional personnel voices as well as traditional basketball executives -- is giving Babby strong consideration to lead the Suns' revamped basketball department.

Sources close to the situation told Stein on Sunday that Babby's hiring has been agreed in principle, with more hires to come to assist him.

Turkoglu wanted out of Toronto following a miserable debut season. It was the first year of a five-year, $53 million contract that Turkoglu received last summer after initially telling the Portland Trail Blazers that he'd sign with them.

The 10-year NBA veteran averaged 11.3 points last season on 40.9 percent shooting, his lowest scoring average and shooting percentage in six years. As recently as the 2007-08 season, Turkoglu won the NBA's Most Improved Player award by averaging 19.5 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.6 assists with Orlando, then helped the Magic reach the NBA Finals in 2009 by averaging 16.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and 4.9 assists.

According to the Republic, Turkoglu is waiving roughly $5 million of a trade bonus in his contract and reducing the guaranteed money in the final season -- which was worth $12 million in 2013-14 -- to facilitate his move to the Suns.

Childress had an NBA out in his contract with Greek power Olympiacos that he had to exercise by Thursday if he wanted to return to the States for next season. He signed a three-year, $20 million deal with the Greek team in 2008.

Drafted No. 6 overall in 2004, Childress averaged 11.1 points over four seasons with Atlanta, shooting 52.2 percent from the field and 36 percent on 3-pointers.

If Turkoglu starts, another recent Suns acquisition -- free-agent signee Hakim Warrick -- would likely join Childress, Channing Frye, Jared Dudley and Goran Dragic on Phoenix's second unit. In addition to Barbosa's departure, Phoenix is also expected to lose popular forward Louis Amundson this summer.

Information from ESPN.com Marc Stein was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5372405

Edited by JTB

EDIT: It needs to be said that this relatively small return for Childress is related to the Hawks' overpaying of Joe. It left them with little leverage.

That is true. They also had 3 days they could have sat on the offer before making a decision. They could have forced Childress to either sign an offer sheet or go back to Greece before working out the S/T details. Seems to me if he had already signed it the Hawks might have had more leverage.

But the only thing this TPE can be used for is to trade for a player with a salary ~3M.

Jamario Moon would be nice if CLE decided they hated him.

Otherwise, its of no use.

Nah, not really. It gives us somewhat flexibility. If we want to trade someone on our team for someone we want and the salaries don't match, I believe we can use our 3M TPE to try to match it.

After my extensive 3 minute search, calculating that Sund said he wants vets, taking into account how many roster spots the ASG will actually fill, and looking for teams that actually want to cut payroll as of now, I have found two vets and one pseudo vet that would take up most of the TPE

Chris Wilcox: 3 mil

Dahntay Jones: 2.5 mil

Julian Wright: 2.8 mil

The 3 mill from our 31st pick should easily cover the tax on these guys after we spend our full MLE to actually upgrade the roster right? Right? Kill me please

Dahntay Jones is intriguing. I remember his performance last year in the playoffs back when he was in Denver. His defense wasn't bad vs. Kobe at all. We need some perimeter defenders so I wouldn't mind the Hawks acquiring him.

the value of the TPE should be for the value of the final year of Childress's previous contract so 3.6 million dollars. But the easy way to think about trade exceptions is that the TPE cannot be used to acquire a player that makes more than that.

The hawks weren't going to pay the luxury tax for Josh Childress so they didn't have much leverage to get mroe compensation. But that said I'll be surprised if the Hawks don't also have some cash being sent their way- that part of the deal normally isn't reported at first.

Edited by spotatl

Sooo...We gave up Chillz so we can draft another foreign dude with a funky name in 2 years?

Awesome...

Well chillz is pretty much a douche who would have never come back to play anyway, even with a coaching change and 2 seasons where we dramatically improved without him. Sorry but he is a douche for jerking us around like this and at this point it is better to get something for him than nothing.

• Like 2

Why is childress a douche because the Hawks weren't willing to pay him as much as other teams were?

He is a douche cause he split to Europe while still playing here on his rookie contract holding us hostage with his salary cap hit. He has not given any indication he wants to play here even though we have improved a lot over the last few years and we have a new coaching staff. He could have handled his want for more money alot better then he did without screwing us over.

He obviously is not a team player he has no interest in seeing our team succeed and we should wipe or hands clean of him asap.

Edited by swanlee