• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would Joe have signed if he knew they werent going after anyone else

arhawkfan

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this at work today as well. I have to believe they sold Joe a hill of beans about how they were going to FINALLY go into the luxury tax to build a contender around him. Now that the truth has once again been revealed I have to wonder if Joe feels punked.

• Like 3

Yes because he only wanted the money and i'm sure he was comfortable here anyways. But getting PAID was his real reason to sign regardless if we were going to sign anyone else. Who in their right mind would leave 30mil on the table to sign with another team that might or might not be better than the Hawks? Minus Lebron and his cronies.

Edited by gutz
  • Like 1

So now we are going to feel sorry for Joe? If Joe really wanted moves made he could have taken the D Wade approach and said upfront we were his first choice. He then could have recruited guys here and took less to ensure we got his man so to speak. But, he didn't. He demanded the max to resign and he got it. The least person I have any sympathy for JJ.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So now we are going to feel sorry for Joe? If Joe really wanted moves made he could have taken the D Wade approach and said upfront we were his first choice. He then could have recruited guys here and took less to ensure we got his man so to speak. But, he didn't. He demanded the max to resign and he got it. The least person I have any sympathy for JJ.

Sorry, but I'm returning the negative. Wade was on a team with the most cap space I've ever seen in the NBA and Joe was on a team with no cap space. I'd like to think Joe being not crazy probably asked them upfront about using the MLE, resigning Chilll or doing sign and trades and they told him what he wanted to hear. You can't blame a player for taking whatever money is offered him.

Sorry, but I'm returning the negative. Wade was on a team with the most cap space I've ever seen in the NBA and Joe was on a team with no cap space. I'd like to think Joe being not crazy probably asked them upfront about using the MLE, resigning Chilll or doing sign and trades and they told him what he wanted to hear. You can't blame a player for taking whatever money is offered him.

who said I'm blame him? There is no blame. But, feeling sorry for Joe is lunacy. What has he done to affect the team in the positive to attract talent? Nothing. Joe is paid at the highest level to produce for this team. If he feels slighted in any sense then the ASG should feel slighted as well. I'm sure if Joe had of told the ASG "look guys I can't take this team any further than we went last year. As a matter of fact unless you spend into the luxury tax even after paying me $120 mill you will have an unhappy camper on your hands" they would have probably had second thoughts on making a him a max player.

• Like 1

Too funny. If Joe wanted us to be able to sign some good free agents, he should have taken less money . . .

He also laughed at the AJC's question to him about recruiting free agents to come here.

In other words, him recruiting free agents was just an agent talking up his client . . .

• Premium Member

Yes.

Joe Johnson's dream:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:bedtime2:

Joe Johnson can fill up a vault and swim in his fortune a la Scrooge McDuck now. Despite months of rumors, it's pretty obvious no other team in the NBA was gonna be throwing him 127 million bones. So yeah, pretty much no chance in hell he doesn't accept that contract.

• Like 1

joe only wanted the money,hey less stars on the floor, more shots for him. he is ungrateful.he knows he wouldnt have gotten that money from anyone else. i wonder if he can take the pressure of making all that money,he didnt show up to well under the pressure he put upon himself trying to show every body that he was an elite player

Now that the truth has once again been revealed I have to wonder if Joe feels punked.

How is $127 million being punked?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

How is $127 million being punked?

If you sign with a team because they told you they were going to do "X" and don't do "X" and never had any intention of doing "X" then I think its safe to say the player who signed would feel lied to and cheated.

If you sign with a team because they told you they were going to do "X" and don't do "X" and never had any intention of doing "X" then I think its safe to say the player who signed would feel lied to and cheated.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist for Joe or his agent to add his new salary to the Hawks' books and know there wasn't going to be much or any money for additional players, especially with Horford due a raise in a year. Joe knew what he was getting into.

• Premium Member

It doesn't take a rocket scientist for Joe or his agent to add his new salary to the Hawks' books and know there wasn't going to be much or any money for additional players, especially with Horford due a raise in a year. Joe knew what he was getting into.

Yes, if only there was this thing called the mid level exception or the luxury tax where owners can keep adding salary and players to try and win titles. And they told Joe they were going to use both. Now it is pretty clear they never had any intention of doing it. You can't blame Joe for being lied to by ownership.