• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Different Perspective

ryandauwalker

We won 53 games last year with a PG who cannot guard anybody, in an offense that does not suit our players, and a weak SF.

We now have a PG who will definitely be a better defender, an offense better suited towards our needs, and hopefully an improved SF (due to the offense).

While it looks as though we are not gunning for a championship this year, we still have a chance to do really well. This year is also a good time to see how good this offense can be without blowing things up. Assuming things are going well, we are in a GREAT position to make a move during the deadline next year.

Looking at hoopstats.com, Bibby is remarkably inefficient and Marvin has been horrid. If these are the only things that change and we can stay healthy, who says we can't win 52 games again?

Assuming we don't play Orlando, we could move our way through the playoffs even if we don't get a big to guard Dwight like Shaq.

Is this reasonable or am I being a major homer?

Edited by ryandauwalker
  • Like 2

We won 53 games last year with a PG who cannot guard anybody, in an offense that does not suit our players, and a weak SF.

We now have a PG who will definitely be a better defender, an offense better suited towards our needs, and hopefully an improved SF (due to the offense).

While it looks as though we are not gunning for a championship this year, we still have a chance to do really well. This year is also a good time to see how good this offense can be without blowing things up. Assuming things are going well, we are in a GREAT position to make a move during the deadline next year.

Looking at hoopstats.com, Bibby is remarkably inefficient and Marvin has been horrid. If these are the only things that change and we can stay healthy, who says we can't win 52 games again?

Assuming we don't play Orlando, we could move our way through the playoffs even if we don't get a big to guard Dwight like Shaq.

I wouldn't have agreed with this had I not seen this year's summer league squad. If Teague and Craw2.0 play as comfortably has they have mixed with a more fluid offense and we have a shot at top 3 in the East.

Marvin was the 22nd ranked SF on hoopsstats.com That's starter quality. The problem with the Hawks, is the depth behind the starters was pizz poor.

I think most everyone agrees that we'll be one of the top teams in the East. The problem, is that we have to overtake either Orlando or Miami to secure a top 4 seed. If we finish behind both of them, we can be no higher than a #5 seed. Even if Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta finish 1 - 2 - 3 in records, we'll STILL be the #5 seed, because the division winners must get one of the top 4 seeds. So at #5, our 1st round matchup will be against the worst division winner . . with them having home court advantage. And our potential 2nd round matchup will be against the top team in the East, with them having the home court advantage.

That's where the problem lies. We have 2 superpowers in our own division which could definitely affect our playoff seeding.

As is right now, I still think we're a 48 - 52 win team. But unless our star players improve ( JJ, Smoove, Horford ), we're not built for the playoffs.

• Like 1

Bibby while slow is a crafty defender and a smart player. To me Teague has alot to prove before he starts. Our best guards are Joe and JCraw 1 and they should get most of the playing time regarless of who starts at point. Woody was critized for not having an offense yet when these guys WANTED TO SHARE THE BALL our offense flowed like the Rhine River. Maybe Larry Drew is the 2nd coming, but Im very skeptical that he is anything more than cheaper than Woody to ASG. If your happy pinning our hopes on a rookie head coach and a guy who will basically be a rookie point guard then good luck.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bibby while slow is a crafty defender and a smart player. To me Teague has alot to prove before he starts. Our best guards are Joe and JCraw 1 and they should get most of the playing time regarless of who starts at point. Woody was critized for not having an offense yet when these guys WANTED TO SHARE THE BALL our offense flowed like the Rhine River. Maybe Larry Drew is the 2nd coming, but Im very skeptical that he is anything more than cheaper than Woody to ASG. If your happy pinning our hopes on a rookie head coach and a guy who will basically be a rookie point guard then good luck.

Sorry NJHAWK. Didn't mean to -1 your post. I just pressed the wrong button.

I think that you have to look at it that way if we are going to have a good season. Joe needs to embrace LD's new offense, without that we are back to where we were last year. Plus, Al continues to become an offensive threat inside and developes a couple of more moves a la Boozer. Josh finally realizes his strengths are defense and rebounding. We were very healthy last year and we will need the same this year.

Oh and we will need LeBron and D-Wade to both bring guns to their locker and fight it out over a bet.

Nah, I don't think you're being unreasonable. We had a very good regular season team last year who could play and did play with just about anyone. We went 1-1 against the world champ Lake-show, 4-0 against the NBA finalists from the East, 1-3 against the Cavs (but with two of those losses coming by less than 5 points), 1-3 against the Magic, 1-1 against the Spurs, 1-1 against Denver, 1-1 against Phoenix, 2-0 against the Jazz, 1-1 against Dallas, 1-3 against Miami, 2-1 against the Bucks, 2-2 against Charlotte, 3-1 against the Bulls, 2-0 against the Blazers, and 0-2 against OKC, making us a very respectable 23-20 against all playoff teams last season. The obvious problem was our matchup issues with Orlando, as they blew our doors off in our regular season losses just as they did in the playoffs. But still though, overall that's a damn fine season against the best teams in the in the league, and it wasn't that long ago where we might expect to win maybe 8-10 of those games.

I'm not nearly so down on the Hawks as some fans are, thank god. They seem to look at this upcoming season with something like a sense of dread, but I can't wait. We are still a very young team, with 5 players aged 24 or younger, and I truly believe we can get better and be an even more successful team than the one we fielded last season, and that is very exciting to me. And screw Miami. I don't care about them or what they might do. I care about the Hawks and feel quite optimistic that as we keep progressing forward and with the right moves made, we can have an absolutely killer team.

• Like 2

Sund might be smart in not making a major move this offseason apart from signing some FAs.

To add depth might allow us to put some good pieces together and play in LDs new offense.

Looking at next year, I think we'll have a better idea of our strengths and weaknesses, and we'll make a major deal at the deadline.

Considering Jamal and Mo are on expiring deals, we could get a large piece AND it be a much more informed decision than now.

Who knows, by then, Marvin might be going off and Teague might be really struggling. Or vice versa. Or Josh is averaging 18 in the new offense. Who knows.

My point in all of this is to not be so hard on Sund as we really don't need to make major adjustments even though the media and others might suggest it. HAVE FAITH!

• Like 3

Sund might be smart in not making a major move this offseason apart from signing some FAs.

To add depth might allow us to put some good pieces together and play in LDs new offense.

Looking at next year, I think we'll have a better idea of our strengths and weaknesses, and we'll make a major deal at the deadline.

Considering Jamal and Mo are on expiring deals, we could get a large piece AND it be a much more informed decision than now.

Who knows, by then, Marvin might be going off and Teague might be really struggling. Or vice versa. Or Josh is averaging 18 in the new offense. Who knows.

My point in all of this is to not be so hard on Sund as we really don't need to make major adjustments even though the media and others might suggest it. HAVE FAITH!

Ayup. Patience is a virtue, and Rome wasn't built in one day.....although Miami seems to be trying to bypass that axiom.

Ayup. Patience is a virtue, and Rome wasn't built in one day.....although Miami seems to be trying to bypass that axiom.

Yes and I have also said the something similar. If we did not make a blockbuster deal to trade for a major upgrade at PG, SF, PF, or Center, then lets add some depth. Which is what bummed me out so bad about trading 31. I don't think it would be a huge reach to think we could have upgraded Mario, Collins, Morris, or Joe Smith with that pick. And who knows, maybe we get lucky for once and actually draft a future starter in the 2nd round!

Anyway, I think we will be a playoff team, and a dangerous one at that, if Teague and the newly drafted Crawford can both show they have starter ability.

Yes and I have also said the something similar. If we did not make a blockbuster deal to trade for a major upgrade at PG, SF, PF, or Center, then lets add some depth. Which is what bummed me out so bad about trading 31. I don't think it would be a huge reach to think we could have upgraded Mario, Collins, Morris, or Joe Smith with that pick. And who knows, maybe we get lucky for once and actually draft a future starter in the 2nd round!

Anyway, I think we will be a playoff team, and a dangerous one at that, if Teague and the newly drafted Crawford can both show they have starter ability.

Oh I hate the fact that we sold #31. I mean that is so cheap and so chintzy, and so ultimately retarded because that pick could have been signed more cheaply than any NBA player we pull off the scrap heap. So it doesn't even make fiscal sense. Sometimes the ASG is just about as dumb as a box of rocks....

Edited by Seano

Patience has been stressed by some on this site for a decade.

When does the payoff happen?

Getting killed in the 2nd round is NOT a payoff.

Well let me put it this way- 6 years ago we won 13 games. Last year we won 53. If you can't be happy about a 40 game improvement, then I don't know what to tell you. What exactly would make you happy? A championship? Well if that's your standard for happiness, then you're destined to have a mostly unhappy existence unless you're a fan of the Celtics or Lakers. It is hopefully a step by step progression we're on here. It's a process, and you don't just go from point A to point Z. We bottomed out at 13 wins, and slowly we've gotten better every year from that point. Maybe we'll get to the point where we just kick the door down and roar through the playoffs and make an ECF or even NBA Finals appearance, or maybe not. I have no idea, and neither do you. But I do have hope. There's always that, and I would much rather remain optimistic and hopeful than become sour or seem pissy all the time over the direction of my favorite basketball team. Hell, if things ever got to that negative point in my mind, I'd just give up following the sport altogether, because life's too short, and what would be the point? If you can't enjoy it, then why bother?

Those are rhetorical questions by the way. I'm not picking on you in particular, although I will say you seem almost unfailingly negative regarding the Hawks.

• Like 1

Well let me put it this way- 6 years ago we won 13 games. Last year we won 53. If you can't be happy about a 40 game improvement, then I don't know what to tell you. What exactly would make you happy? A championship? Well if that's your standard for happiness, then you're destined to have a mostly unhappy existence unless you're a fan of the Celtics or Lakers. It is hopefully a step by step progression we're on here. It's a process, and you don't just go from point A to point Z. We bottomed out at 13 wins, and slowly we've gotten better every year from that point. Maybe we'll get to the point where we just kick the door down and roar through the playoffs and make an ECF or even NBA Finals appearance, or maybe not. I have no idea, and neither do you. But I do have hope. There's always that, and I would much rather remain optimistic and hopeful than become sour or seem pissy all the time over the direction of my favorite basketball team. Hell, if things ever got to that negative point in my mind, I'd just give up following the sport altogether, because life's too short, and what would be the point? If you can't enjoy it, then why bother?

Those are rhetorical questions by the way. I'm not picking on you in particular, although I will say you seem almost unfailingly negative regarding the Hawks.

The lack of progression of this team can be seen in the playoff results. Their best playoff series was probably the Boston series three years ago. Yeah, they lost the series, but they went 7 games with the best team in the NBA from that season. The next year.... They beat Miami in what was an aweful playoff series. And then they got blown out in the 2nd round by Cleveland. This past season was worse than the Heat series because the Bucks were without Redd and Bogut and MIl's best player was a rookie with a very poor shot selection. The Hawks had homecourt advange and STILL barely won the series. Then, they suffered what was possibly the worst playoff series loss in NBA history.

That;'s not progress.

Sure, they won regular season games, but what are this teams goals? Only one team can win the title, but it should be the goal of all franchises or there is no point to it. And as much as I complain about the players, most of the doubt goes to ownership. If they don't have the championship mindset how can anyone else expect it? It's hard to do anything meaningful with inept ownership. And that has been a problem with this team since I can remember. This team suffered the worst loss of all the playoff teams and ownership has done the LEAST to correct that problem.

Life is short, but like my sign says.... I look around and see nothing worth liking. The world has gone to the dogs. But this isn't the place to get personal. I'll just say that I don't have a lot of bright spots in my life so dumping the Hawks sure wouldn't end my troubles.

But I'm negative of the team because they keep making the wrong moves. I'm tired of having to complain about the bad things, but ownership isn't giving me much choice. If this team makes the moves to try and win the title and are unsuccessful and I complain... Then I could understand why how others could be PO'ed at me. But what I don't understand is how people get PO'ed because I'm mad that ownership is settling for just regular season wins.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1