• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Drew adds Kenny Gattison to staff

JJFAN4LF

Lang Whitaker's Twitter:

Hawks just announced addition of Kenny Gattison as assistant coach to Larry Drew's staff.

follow him at twitter.com/langwhitaker

Kenny Gattison's coaching career (Wikipedia):

After retiring, Gattison served as an assistant coach on John Calipari's staff with the NBA New Jersey Nets from 1996–98. He then returned to his alma mater, Old Dominion in 2001 as an assistant coach until 2003 when he was named assistant coach with his former team, the New Orleans (former Charlotte) Hornets. He remained with New Orleans until June 2009.

Slow Hawks day huh?

• Premium Member

Lang Whitaker's Twitter:

Hawks just announced addition of Kenny Gattison as assistant coach to Larry Drew's staff.

follow him at twitter.com/langwhitaker

Kenny Gattison's coaching career (Wikipedia):

After retiring, Gattison served as an assistant coach on John Calipari's staff with the NBA New Jersey Nets from 1996–98. He then returned to his alma mater, Old Dominion in 2001 as an assistant coach until 2003 when he was named assistant coach with his former team, the New Orleans (former Charlotte) Hornets. He remained with New Orleans until June 2009.

Slow Hawks day huh?

I guess he fills Jim Todd's slot. So the pecking order now is:

Lester Conner

Bob Bender

Tyrone Hill

Kenny Gattison

• Premium Member

There's so much in this addition to talk about.

Gattison was assistant at N.O. for the last few years. He was their big man coach. He worked with Tyson Chandler and D. West. He was fired last offseason in a very ugly manner. A prelude to them getting rid of Chandler and Scott.

I am not going to suggest that he gives us a chance to keep Chris Paul, but Chris Paul would know one face here.

Gattison also was the big man's coach for Team USA the year that Paul and Johnson were there. This dude has good experience.

About Price. I always thought Price was an affiliate and not just a coach. I thought his shooting clinic was available for whoever would pay him and we contracted him. If that be the case, I think we will see more of that. I wouldn't think Price would want to be bogged down as an assistant because then he couldn't work leaguewide or with College players.

• Like 1

There's so much in this addition to talk about.

Gattison was assistant at N.O. for the last few years. He was their big man coach. He worked with Tyson Chandler and D. West. He was fired last offseason in a very ugly manner. A prelude to them getting rid of Chandler and Scott.

I am not going to suggest that he gives us a chance to keep Chris Paul, but Chris Paul would know one face here.

Gattison also was the big man's coach for Team USA the year that Paul and Johnson were there. This dude has good experience.

About Price. I always thought Price was an affiliate and not just a coach. I thought his shooting clinic was available for whoever would pay him and we contracted him. If that be the case, I think we will see more of that. I wouldn't think Price would want to be bogged down as an assistant because then he couldn't work leaguewide or with College players.

Yeah Mark Price was always referred to as a "Shooting Consultant" with the team and not a coach.

• Premium Member

Yeah Mark Price was always referred to as a "Shooting Consultant" with the team and not a coach.

If I were Price, unless I had the burning to be a pro coach, I would not hurry into because he has a clinic that will be able to cater to HS, College, and Pro basketball players. If he becomes an assistant, you automatically break that down to just those 12-15 on the team

• Like 1

This is good if we land an elite PG but the system that Drew is running needs a to teach screens and playing off of them to a higher degree no matter if it's Teague, Bibby, or Paul.

I can't for the life of me understand how people praise Larry Drew's offense as the savior yet are clamoring for Chris Paul. If it's a modified Princeton motion offense then there is absolutely no need for an elite PG. The offense will most likely be initiated through Al and Josh and all the guards will be required to do is read and react on cuts/screens, make quick and accurate passes and hit shots. The ball won't be in any one guard's hands long enough yet alone as long as Paul holds the ball in New Orleans. This is why management isn't sweating Bibby/Teague being the only PGs on the lineup because scoring guards fit the system better than pure points.

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me understand how people praise Larry Drew's offense as the savior yet are clamoring for Chris Paul. If it's a modified Princeton motion offense then there is absolutely no need for an elite PG. The offense will most likely be initiated through Al and Josh and all the guards will be required to do is read and react on cuts/screens, make quick and accurate passes and hit shots. The ball won't be in any one guard's hands long enough yet alone as long as Paul holds the ball in New Orleans. This is why management isn't sweating Bibby/Teague being the only PGs on the lineup because scoring guards fit the system better than pure points.

Byron Scott ran the Princeton style offense so the variation that Larry Drew is bringing maybe new, the offense in this league isn't. Scott brought this offense to the Nets and then the Hornets.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

dam i agree with all yoou said. you are right!

This should make it an interesting training camp. And can't wait until the first game when it starts to break down with JJ ISO to see what Drew does.

• Premium Member

You're right that the PG is far less important in a Princeton-type offense than in most offenses. But:

• That doesn't account for transition possessions
  • Even in the half-court set, having a great PG is better than having an average one

I honestly think that we'll be fine with Bibby as PG in this type of offense. But that doesn't mean we wouldn't be even better with Chris Paul, especially considering how many fast break opportunities we have - I think we'd go from Top 5 to easily #1 in the league in fast break points with CP3.