• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The big question in Atlanta...

Diesel

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

We all know that Joe's contract is far more than ASG wanted to spend... Joe's contract however, was a neccessity. It gives us a lot of wiggle room with a trade and keeps us in the mainstream for a while.

My thought is that we will trade Joe to NY and extend Jamal. That's why we brought him. Jamal's extension of 4 years about 45 Million or 5 years 57 Million is much more palatable than what we are paying Joe and probably same results offensively.

So with that in mind, I wanted to poll HS. I want to know how you see Joe... and if we moved him to NY, what would you want.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The pole is kinda flawed because I voted for he is a keeper, but it forces me to also pick from the second pole to post my vote.

Sorry about that. There may be a way to fix that, Idk?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Jamal's best role for this team is exactly what he did last year..6th man.

I disagree strongly.

Jamal is more than a 6th man. I think we actually wasted him allowing him to win the award. Did it really help our team play to start the games off weak? I hope that when we start play this year, we see Joe at the 3 and Jamal at the 2. I feel that that gives us the best chance to win. I don't care about the confidence of others who don't impact the game, I think it's disrespectful for us to bring him off the bench in his contract year. He's a starter.

• Like 2

I disagree strongly.

Jamal is more than a 6th man. I think we actually wasted him allowing him to win the award. Did it really help our team play to start the games off weak? I hope that when we start play this year, we see Joe at the 3 and Jamal at the 2. I feel that that gives us the best chance to win. I don't care about the confidence of others who don't impact the game, I think it's disrespectful for us to bring him off the bench in his contract year. He's a starter.

I don't think it's disrespectful. I think Jamal Crawford doesn't mind not being a starter and being the first man off the bench. He already implied that he wants to finish his career here in Atlanta. I doubt a player who says that feels disrespected about his role on the team. He has the talent of a starter, don't get me wrong, but I think it's best for the team if he came off the bench.

• Like 1

I disagree strongly.

Disrespectful...Child please....better than him have come off the bench because it's what's best for the team (see Manu, Tony Parker- for a portion of last season, Lamar Odom just to name a few). We just paid Joe a boat load of money now you wanna move his position. There is only one basketball, there must be balance on offense in the starting lineup as well as off the bench....who will be the scorer off the bench...additionally, Jamal takes a lot of shots which means Josh and Al won't see the ball as much.

I disagree strongly.

This is how i've always felt about Jamal. Our strongest lineup would be: Bibby/Craw/JJ/Smoove/Horf

Especially with our new "motion offense".

Jamal said it himself, he'd rather be starting. Also, if I recall... JJ said he would be willing to switch positions if need be (during the free agency period when other teams were shopping for him.)

• Premium Member

Disrespectful...Child please....better than him have come off the bench because it's what's best for the team (see Manu, Tony Parker- for a portion of last season, Lamar Odom just to name a few). We just paid Joe a boat load of money now you wanna move his position. There is only one basketball, there must be balance on offense in the starting lineup as well as off the bench....who will be the scorer off the bench...additionally, Jamal takes a lot of shots which means Josh and Al won't see the ball as much.

How about this JB...

Let's bench Josh Smith and play Marvin at PF. Marvin is a natural PF and he can spread defenses better with his shooting than Josh can.. and Josh can give us that "energy" off the bench!

Whaddaayasay?

How about this JB...

Let's bench Josh Smith and play Marvin at PF. Marvin is a natural PF and he can spread defenses better with his shooting than Josh can.. and Josh can give us that "energy" off the bench!

Whaddaayasay?

:nono: :help wanted3: :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

How about this JB...

Whaddaayasay?

I would say....Shirley, you can't be serious. And yes, I did just call you Shirley.

• Moderators

I've advocated for Smoove to become our "energy forward" as well, but that was predicated on getting the 84-incher with a pulse (sorry, JaCo) that we've coveted all summer, and moving Hofo (not Marvin) to PF. So much for that evil plan.

Similarly, I can't submit my poll response, but Joe's here until the contract year, and will be a handsomely-paid "energy guard" by then.

~lw3

This is how i've always felt about Jamal. Our strongest lineup would be: Bibby/Craw/JJ/Smoove/Horf

Especially with our new "motion offense".

Jamal said it himself, he'd rather be starting. Also, if I recall... JJ said he would be willing to switch positions if need be (during the free agency period when other teams were shopping for him.)

I need a reference for statement like these. Sounds like speculation to prove your personal point at this time so until I see a video clip I will just assume that Jamal wants to continue to be a vital cog in continuing to play with a winning team.

We move Jamal into the starting line up and who gives us scoring off the bench? Who changes the pace of the game at any moment?

How about this JB...

Whaddaayasay?

It always amazes me that this board always undervalue Smoove's impact on our team. He is easily the only player that affects both sides of the ball with a positive impact. He dominates without being a dominant player and I think we all can agree on how much of an improved player he continues to be year after year. Can he shoot a consistant outside jumper no... Does he do everything else well...YES. I dont know another player in the league with his unique skillset. How long did it take Kidd to get a reliable outside jumper?? The list goes on and on

• Premium Member

How about this JB...

Whaddaayasay?

So much for JB?

The thing I think (hope) he gets now is that it's not smart to bench a better player and start an inferior player just to have energy off the bench. A waste. I know that this was Woody's plan but in all actuallity, you put Jamal out there while our first team was already tired, while our game plan was already figure out. Him being fresh is not that big of a deal. It's much better to jump out there with all your guns at first and leave the other team confounded than just to save your gun until later. Most of the time, Craw is trying to pull us out of a ditch when he came in.

So much for JB?

The thing I think (hope) he gets now is that it's not smart to bench a better player and start an inferior player just to have energy off the bench. A waste.

So Popovich and Phil Jackson are not smart coaches.

Phil brought the 6'1'' Toni Kuckoc off the bench for his scoring.

Pop bring Ginobli off the bench when his roster is healthy.

Its not who starts.......its who finishes.

Many times team chemistry is not at its best early in a game with all your scorers on the floor at once.

• Premium Member

Many times team chemistry is not at its best early in a game with all your scorers on the floor at once.

Don't forget Red Auerbach and Havlicek or KC Jones and McHale.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

You're talking about teams who were stacked... especially mentioning the Celtics. The point being if you're not willing to replace Smoove with Marvin and play Smoove off the bench, why are you so willing to do with with Crawford. We have pigeon-holed Crawford as 6th man since he got here. He was a starter for the previous 7 years before coming in. Nobody really has come up with a good reason why he was pigeon holed as such. We said at the time that Marvin was coming off of a good season and we wanted to keep continuity. Well, Marvin sucked last season (none contract year) and I think our players play better with Craw in the lineup.

I need a reference for statement like these. Sounds like speculation to prove your personal point at this time so until I see a video clip I will just assume that Jamal wants to continue to be a vital cog in continuing to play with a winning team.

We move Jamal into the starting line up and who gives us scoring off the bench? Who changes the pace of the game at any moment?

It always amazes me that this board always undervalue Smoove's impact on our team. He is easily the only player that affects both sides of the ball with a positive impact. He dominates without being a dominant player and I think we all can agree on how much of an improved player he continues to be year after year. Can he shoot a consistant outside jumper no... Does he do everything else well...YES. I dont know another player in the league with his unique skillset. How long did it take Kidd to get a reliable outside jumper?? The list goes on and on

I'm not undervaluing Smoove, I agree with his impact. However, I think you may be undervaluing Horf. He's no slouch on either end...rebounding, playing out of position - guarding players he shouldn't have to nightly...

I know this really isn't the of the thread (other than another Marvin hate thread by Diesel :beathorse: ), but anyways........

IF we signed Shaq or another starter quality center (although Shaq and starter quality could be questioned now), you really have to look at our current roster and the amount of minutes and wonder where will everyone fit in.

Bibby-PG

Teague-PG

Crawford Sr.-SG/PG

Johnson-SG/SF

Crawford Jr.-SG

Evans-SF/SG

Williams-SF/PF (highly debatable)

Smith-PF/SF (highly debatable)

Horford-C/PF

Pachulia-C

Collins-C

Powell-PF/C

Shaq or other-C

That roster leaves you thinnest at a position where your weakest starter is...SF. Obvoius solutions would be to start someone else at the position and have Marvin come off the bench. That makes your bench better, or does it?

Options for lineup......

Bibby or Teague

Crawford Sr.

Johnson

Smith

Horford

Bibby (can't start Teague here because you need at least 2 shooters on the floor)

Johnson

Smith

Horford

Shaq

Bibby or Teague

Johnson

Williams

Smith

Horford