• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zaza

DJlaysitup

I've been a bit of a Zaza fan. I liked that "bull-in-a-China-Shop" way he goes about things. I always thought he was one of those 55-45% backup centers...meaning he was 55% good and 45% bad.

I'm begining to think he is holding us down now though. He simply isn't athletic enough to be a backup who gets big minutes.

I've been very disappointed in Zaza this year because he came in lighter (a bit) and I expected that to translate into better athleticism. I haven't seen it. IMO Zaza is a decent center now - at the European standard. He is a little bit better than Esteban Batista. :stirthepot:

Edited by DJlaysitup

I have been disappointed with his play for several years now. Is he a decent backup C? Yeah, but I'd prefer if he was the second C off the bench and not the primary one. Watching him attempt to rebound over the past few years is disheartening...especially for a dude who doesn't block shots or defend much. You gotta love his energy, but he doesn't have a whole lot of skill--along with the things we really need in a backup big such as strong defense and defensive rebounding--to go along with it.

He makes so many illegal screens its crazy. he doesn't block shots, hes not athletic. but his play has dipped since he was the starting C a few years ago. i want to see Jason get some more time a C and see how he does.

You want to see more of a 7 footer who rebounds at a lower rate than many point guards?

Zaza is holding this team back for sure. Anytime the Hawks get a lead and I saw him in the game with the 2nd unit... I feel the lead is going to be dissipated real soon. His weaknesses are glaring while his strength can be had with a D-leaguer.

I'm surprise Larry Drew hasn't play Collins more.

Yeah, that's the difference-maker that we're missing: Jason Collins. The offense would just start firing in all cylinders with Jason Collins in the lineup instead of Zaza. How much longer will we keep the gem that is Jason Collins hidden? I'm sure nobody would be complaining about the graceful, always-effectiveCollins if he were getting major minutes.

Wow. You guys. If you want to complain about Zaza, fine, but at least have someone besides Jason Collins in mind to replace him with. The truth is that Zaza is BY FAR the best option available internally or externally.

Yeah, that's the difference-maker that we're missing: Jason Collins. The offense would just start firing in all cylinders with Jason Collins in the lineup instead of Zaza. How much longer will we keep the gem that is Jason Collins hidden? I'm sure nobody would be complaining about the graceful, always-effectiveCollins if he were getting major minutes.

Wow. You guys. If you want to complain about Zaza, fine, but at least have someone besides Jason Collins in mind to replace him with. The truth is that Zaza is BY FAR the best option available internally or externally.

Yes sir that is the truth! And I'll add to it that we don't win last night or even come close to getting back in the game without Zaza. I think we were down about 14 or so when we brought Zaza back in to pair with Horford in the 4th and his physical play was a huge key to the comeback. He's not a good finisher around the rim, he can't jump and he's an awful shot blocker, but he's a big physical presence and he does things that don't show up in the stat sheet that I see aren't really appreciated here. Would I like for us to have a better backup C? Absolutely! Do I think that we can win with consistently Zaza as the backup? Yeah, I think we can. Do I think that Zaza is in any way holding us back? Absolutely not!!

Athleticism be damned, if Zaz didn't have aligator arms his impact would be so much greater for this team. He actually gets good position and boxes out well but he gets zero extension on his layups/hooks and if a rebound is above his head you can forget about any positive impact outside of pure comedy.

I think the times that Zaza comes up big outweigh his usual scrub status. A bigger help than hurt in the grand scheme. Every season you could clearly point to about 3 or 4 games that we wouldn't have won without him, especially when he flashes a nice dime here and there and gets to the line and converts. The coaching staff just has to be very scientific with past stats and frontline matchups to maximize his affect. Bosh is all but scared of our front line, so I expect a shot in the arm from Zaza tonight.

• Moderators

This team has had four mascots: Harry, Skyhawk, Spirit, and Zaza. We had to get rid of one already, don't tell me we gotta part ways with another! :-)

I can track this team's progress by how far down the bench Zaza gets to sit. The day Zaza becomes our legitimate 12th man and towel-waver-in-chief is the day we become legitimate championship contenders.

Until then, I will praise his flawed but sincere efforts out there, especially when they help win us games like last night.

~lw3

• Like 1

This thread has me dying laughing over here, reading people bash Zaza but defend him in the same sentence....but thats exactly what he is, he has major flaws but the guy tries so hard that u gotta love em.