• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Portland Interest in Jamal Crawford but Rebuffed

Guest Walter

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70576/20101214/portland_inquired_about_crawford_unsuccessfully/#

I don't know what Portland is willing to trade that I would want for Crawford. Camby? Oden in the IR (can a team even trade an injured player?) ? Batum and a contract? My belief is that any deal with Portland would require a 3rd team to make it work well for us.

W

Good sign for Crawford. He likes it here. Nothing on the Blazers(besides Aldridge) worth giving up Jamal for anyway. He's actually playing some defense this year. Not to mention, he's the best pg on the roster, and is finally adapting to the new offense. Wish they were inquiring about Marvin instead.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70576/20101214/portland_inquired_about_crawford_unsuccessfully/#

I don't know what Portland is willing to trade that I would want for Crawford. Camby? Oden in the IR (can a team even trade an injured player?) ? Batum and a contract? My belief is that any deal with Portland would require a 3rd team to make it work well for us.

W

Sund is an idiot if he declines in any talks about trading Crawford.

http://realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5765627

Camby, Miller, Batum for Craw, Marvin, (Throw in a big if we have to (Zaza, Collins or Etan))

PG - Miller/Bibby/Teague

SG - JJ/Damien/JC2/Mo

SF - Smoove/Batum/Damien/Mo

PF - Horford/Powell/Etan

C - Camby/Collins/Zaza/Etan

This team is stacked and has no real weaknesses.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

W

Even if they included someone like, say, Batum or Miller (the only two guys other than Roy/Aldridge who might give us value added over Crawford, IMHO), I have to wonder whether the answer to Portland was "no" or simply "not now." It'll be a lot easier to part with Crawford if JJ comes back strong from his injury, but that's still a few weeks away.

Regardless of whether it would be legal to trade him, I doubt the Blazers have any interest in trading Oden. I also doubt they want to part with Przybilla's big body and expiring contract.

As for Camby, to the extent we do need a 345th big man, we don't need one who is a mediocre on ball defender. Al is already a better on-ball defender than Camby and we already have Josh to block shots, so I don't think Camby would make us any stronger. And I'm still pissed that the idiot sportwriters were actually dumb enough to name him DPOY, only to look foolish a year later when the Nuggets' defense became much better without him. I frankly would be more interested in Przybilla than Camby, assuming Przybilla can pass a physical (and isn't still irked about the way he was treated during his short time here).

Batum would shore up our perimeter D and give us much more versatility with our lineups and matchups. Miller would give us a reliable starting PG (at least for the next season or two). But I watch nearly every Blazers game with my Portland-native girlfriend, and I honestly don't see anyone else on their roster who they'd be willing to part with that would improve us that much considering the loss of Crawford, and even Batum would give us at best a marginal improvement. I think we can get more for Crawford's expiring if we wait a bit.

Lastly, on Batum - he's only making $1.2M this year. They'd need to package another high-salary player to make the numbers work, and the only ones who might be on the market are Camby, Miller, and Przybilla. If they are willing to do Miller/Batum or Przybilla/Batum for Jamal, I say go for it. Otherwise, work out a 3-way trade or wait for something better.

Edited by niremetal

I don't see Crawford getting traded till Feb if at all. Atlanta needs him off the bench.

Even if they included someone like, say, Batum or Miller (the only two guys other than Roy/Aldridge who might give us value added over Crawford, IMHO), I have to wonder if the answer to Portland was "no" or "not now." It'll be a lot easier to part with Crawford if JJ comes back strong from his injury, but that's still a few weeks away.

Regardless of whether it would be legal to trade him, I doubt the Blazers have any interest in trading Oden.

Roy has no value right now, Not with those knees. And Miller is just as old as Bibby without the jumpshots. lol! Heck, Crawford is better than both Bibby and Miller combined. lol! I'd like to have Camby, but not for our best pg and 2nd best sg.

Camby, Miller, Batum for Craw, Marvin, (Throw in a big if we have to (Zaza, Collins or Etan))

PG - Miller/Bibby/Teague

SG - JJ/Damien/JC2/Mo

PF - Horford/Powell/Etan

PG - Miller/Bibby/Teague

SG - JJ/Damien/JC2/Mo

PF - Horford/Powell/Etan

This team also has 18 players on it.
  • Like 2

PG - Miller/Bibby/Teague

SG - JJ/Damien/JC2/Mo

PF - Horford/Powell/Etan

This team was a lot of weaknesses and aren't close to contention. I agree with Atlanta again, no way you trade Crawford with his importance to the team with our current roster.

Jamal's contract in and of itself is sooo valuable to a team looking for cap space next summer.

Expiring contracts are only as valuable as the salary you are willing to take in return. The problem for the Hawks is that after giving big contracts to Joe, Josh, Al, and a MLE sized deal to Marvin the Hawks may not be in position to take on any salary for next season as it would put them into luxury tax. (though no one knows whether there will be a luxury tax or what the threshold would be...) I've thought for a while that the Hawks are not planning to bring Crawford back because of this, so even if they did trade Crawford it would be for someone who also has an expiring contract. The only way I think the ASG pays the luxury tax is if they consider it a player that would make them a contender. So I do think they would pay it to bring in Carmelo (if he were willing to resign...) but I don't think that they would pay it for someone like Billups.

• Premium Member

If we thought this was our shot.. and Joe came back 100% and was playing in good form then I would consider Jamal/Marvin/Zaza for Camby/Miller

BUT....

I think Jamal is too valuable to give away for older players who may not fit in the way that we think.

Also, here's the other thing that has really been interesting to me....

There are whole lot of you who keep coming up and saying we are not resigning Crawford because he wants to be resigned and we don't have any money.

Then you propose a trade for players who make as much as Craw does now and will get a salary increase next year because your proposals are for guys whoose contract is not ending.

So which is it? Are we too broke to go into the luxury tax... or are we going into the luxury tax as long as we get rid of Craw and get a guy you like?

Here's my take.

Sund knows he has Crawford over a barrel. Sund also knows that Craw loves being here. Sund may be able to negotiate Craw a longer cheaper deal before this season is over and the lockout hits.

However, I doubt we trade for players signed beyond this year that makes the same as Craw. That defeats the purpose of the trade.

And Craw is a great complimentary player. He and Joe has good chemistry. Why give up the reigning 6th man who still plays great (in a new offense) when you won't get a better player in return?

If you guys want this team to be a contender there's no way to avoid the tax

What the fans want and what the ASG want are entirely different things. I just don't think that the ASG will ever pay the luxury tax to be the third best team in the division. And thats really problematic when the Magic and the Heat are in the same division.

• Premium Member

PG - Miller/Bibby/Teague

SG - JJ/Damien/JC2/Mo

PF - Horford/Powell/Etan

Sund is an idiot if he trades Crawford. Some of you dont get it, besides JJ Crawford is the only scorer on this roster period.

• Premium Member
The only way I think the ASG pays the luxury tax is if they consider it a player that would make them a contender. So I do think they would pay it to bring in Carmelo (if he were willing to resign...) but I don't think that they would pay it for someone like Billups.

Exactly. With 'Lil Nique' getting the final roster spot, I suspect this is the team the Hawks will field the rest of the season.

Uhhh....no it doesn't. Mo and Etan are both listed twice.

Like others have said even if the Hawks have their minds set on trading Crawford it makes no sense to do it now.

Whats the difference. 16? 18? Still too many.

more than likely, this would have been a 2 for 1 deal or at most a 2 for 2 deal. but i doubt and rotation guys other than jamal and maybe mo evans (who's only hear because he couldn't get a better contract than his player option on the open market)

using TradeChacker on RealGM.com i found that these were the most likely trades happening.

camby+fernandez for crawford+evans

miller+pryzbilla for crawford+evans

miller+fernandez for crawford *

pryzbilla+fernandez for crawford*

*atlanta would have to drop somebody in this case (etan thomas probably)

the problem with all of these trades that they cause us to go into the lux tax next year unless we do a new orleans-style salary dump that makes us look like fools. camby, miller, and fernandez all have a year remaining on their contracts. and the lux tax is going down next year.

i still believe the hawks are going to let crawford play out his contract and sign a multiyear contract with another team (knicks more than likely) the hawks are then gonna put jordan crawford into his spot.

Edited by lunar