• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams

Guest Walter

I believe MW has scored 15, 16, 12, 18, & 14 the last 5 games. Yes, his MPG average is slightly higher over this span but his scoring of 15 PPG average exceeds the MPG difference. I haven't seen these games so those who have can tell me if these stats accurately describe an assertiveness or aggressiveness difference. I wonder if the occasional benching has worked as a motivator or if MW actually performs better as a high MPG BU. If it is the later then any trade of JC should bring us a starter quality player at Sf (Gerald Wallace) or C (Okafor) so that MW can take over Crawford's role (I cannot believe I'm saying this.). Mind you, I am entirely skeptical, but I simply don't feel at this point in MW's contract (without packaging) MW can get us a return on our investment. Maybe with more 15 PPG.

If MW is motivated by the benching and not better as a BU is there any way to maintain that fire? You can't double-bench MW when the numbers slide.

W

Edited by Walter

It looks like him going to the bench may have motivated him. He does look more aggressive but his outside jumper seems to finally be falling again. As simple as it is ....that seems to be the main difference. He is also catching and shooting with confidence and no hesitation. He seemed a bit hesitant to let her rip early in the season (perhaps b/c his shot wasn't falling and his confidence could have been shaken).

• Premium Member

I believe MW has scored 15, 16, 12, 18, & 14 the last 5 games. Yes, his MPG average is slightly higher over this span but his scoring of 15 PPG average exceeds the MPG difference. I haven't seen these games so those who have can tell me if these stats accurately describe an assertiveness or aggressiveness difference. I wonder if the occasional benching has worked as a motivator or if MW actually performs better as a high MPG BU. If it is the later then any trade of JC should bring us a starter quality player at Sf (Gerald Wallace) or C (Okafor) so that MW can take over Crawford's role (I cannot believe I'm saying this.). Mind you, I am entirely skeptical, but I simply don't feel at this point in MW's contract (without packaging) MW can get us a return on our investment. Maybe with more 15 PPG.

If MW is motivated by the benching and not better as a BU is there any way to maintain that fire? You can't double-bench MW when the numbers slide.

W

I'm happy bout it. Either his trade value rises and we trade him for something we need or he fulfills a role that we need off the bench. I wont say that Marvin is More aggressive. Marvin has just started cashing in on all the wide open, non-guarded looks he gets.. I still think our first act ought to be to find a trade partner inspired by his recent activity. I would love to get exactly what we need from trading Marvin.

Production from Marvin is like found money, it is nice to have but you can't count on it.

I remember a few years back Marvin went on a run where he made nearly every 3 that he took over a few weeks, then fell off a cliff from 3. There doesn't appear to be any rational explanation for his production, or lack thereof, at any given time. He is just strange.

His inability to consistently hit wide open looks pretty much handcuffs him offensively. He will go through stretches when he makes them but those times seem to be relatively few.

• Premium Member

Production from Marvin is like found money, it is nice to have but you can't count on it.

I remember a few years back Marvin went on a run where he made nearly every 3 that he took over a few weeks, then fell off a cliff from 3. There doesn't appear to be any rational explanation for his production, or lack thereof, at any given time. He is just strange.

His inability to consistently hit wide open looks pretty much handcuffs him offensively. He will go through stretches when he makes them but those times seem to be relatively few.

For whatever reason, I think his value may be increasing as GMs look to make trades for young talented players. i would certainly try to use him to get something of need.

W

Motivated and aggressive. Basically Marvin does these things, he can be a 18-20 ppg scorer in the NBA given the chance. Not with the Hawks, they have too many scorers at all times.

Okafor isn't what we need since he would make us slightly better but we want beat Orlando so it's a lost move. Wallace would be nice. To be honest, Marvin is all touches and aggression. If he gets touches and is aggressive, he's too talented not to score. MW can be of huge value in a package deal but by himself, I don't think he get us much and he will do a lot once we trade him. This is not like Diaw, he can't afford to miss on a player in a trade since we have limited resources and the market is not too good at the price we can spend.

I don't know if benching him motivated him, I just don't. But he's playing with a sense of urgency.

Motivated and aggressive. Basically Marvin does these things, he can be a 18-20 ppg scorer in the NBA given the chance. Not with the Hawks, they have too many scorers at all times.

Okafor isn't what we need since he would make us slightly better but we want beat Orlando so it's a lost move. Wallace would be nice. To be honest, Marvin is all touches and aggression. If he gets touches and is aggressive, he's too talented not to score. MW can be of huge value in a package deal but by himself, I don't think he get us much and he will do a lot once we trade him. This is not like Diaw, he can't afford to miss on a player in a trade since we have limited resources and the market is not too good at the price we can spend.

I don't know if benching him motivated him, I just don't. But he's playing with a sense of urgency.

Personally I think its the bench that motivated him and I think he should stay there and we start Collins. Marvin on our bench has made them better just last night him and crawford scored 14 each on the bucks.....thats great

Personally I think its the bench that motivated him and I think he should stay there and we start Collins. Marvin on our bench has made them better just last night him and crawford scored 14 each on the bucks.....thats great

You don't bench someone because you think their better off of it. You bench them because it's best for your team and personnel. Smoove at SF is worst than starting Mo. Collins gives us a peak of average to awful most nights. There is no way in hell you can justify starting Smith at SF and Collins at Center.

You don't bench someone because you think their better off of it. You bench them because it's best for your team and personnel. Smoove at SF is worst than starting Mo. Collins gives us a peak of average to awful most nights. There is no way in hell you can justify starting Smith at SF and Collins at Center.

Yes, there is - stopping Howard, Bogut and couple of other big guys that are 2+ inches taller than Al and have an inside game.

Yes, there is - stopping Howard, Bogut and couple of other big guys that are 2+ inches taller than Al and have an inside game.

Well yes, that's match-up based. We are talking about on a regular basis.