• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith vs. David Lee.

Diesel

I'd rank them in this order:

1. Horford - best all around player of these 3 hands down. Is the only player of these 3 who can defend both the PF and C position well.

2. Smoove - mental mistakes are the only thing holding him back on both offense and defense. Lacks discipline and that is a really big deal to some. This keeps his raw talent from being maximized.

3. Lee - extremely efficient on offense but is easily the worst defender of these 3.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

1. Horford - best all around player of these 3 hands down. Is the only player of these 3 who can defend both the PF and C position well.

2. Smoove - mental mistakes are the only thing holding him back on both offense and defense. Lacks discipline and that is a really big deal to some. This keeps his raw talent from being maximized.

3. Lee - extremely efficient on offense but is easily the worst defender of these 3.

The problem with Smoove is that he's in his what 7 year. His maturity is slow coming. This is really what holds Smoove back. It's not that he makes mistakes. Much of his problem play is stuff he does purposely. He's got a defiant spirit and instead of it being used to it's highest capacity, he allows it to be his setback.

Pretty much agree with this. Josh still has the most upside though imo. Just needs a coach to get in that azz..

• Moderators

Same. Josh > Lee.

• Admin

I believe Josh makes more of an impact on a game than David Lee.

While Lee is efficient, he's a boring player that does nothing special except get you consistent numbers. He's also very soft on defense.

I don't disagree that Josh is better but 'boring' means nothing to how good a player is. You might argue that Tim Duncan is kinda boring but is considered one of the best PFs of all time

Wouldn't call Lee boring given that his entire game outside of his jumper is predicated on athleticism. Since that is the case then clearly Smoove is the superior athlete and therefore the superior player because he can utilize said athleticism on either side of the court. And I wouldn't say that Lee is in the mold of Al at all, he's more of the offensive inverse of Andy Varejao, an active hustle player.

I don't disagree that Josh is better but 'boring' means nothing to how good a player is. You might argue that Tim Duncan is kinda boring but is considered one of the best PFs of all time

Agreed.

If DLee could score, like, 15 more points per game, I'd be tempted to call it a wash.

~lw3

So he'd have to double Smith in scoring in addition to outrebounding him in order to be better than Smith? Hmmm. Do you seriously think Smith's alleged defensive abilities create an additional 15 points per game in value to the Hawks? Who knew flashy blocks into the stands against someone else's defensive assignment would be so valuable?

Edited by Watchman

• Moderators

So he'd have to double Smith in scoring in addition to outrebounding him in order to be better than Smith? Hmmm. Do you seriously think Smith's alleged defensive abilities create an additional 15 points per game in value to the Hawks? Who knew flashy blocks into the stands against someone else's defensive assignment would be so valuable?

Beyond what he contributes now, Smoove could stand on his head and recite the Atlanta Compromise speech for all I care. It's the turnstile D that Avi Lee offers up that requires the 15 or whatever more points-per for comparison purposes. Make an effort to stop somebody every once in awhile, and if you can't, at least get out that and put up some World B Free numbers.

~lw3

Beyond what he contributes now, Smoove could stand on his head and recite the Atlanta Compromise speech for all I care. It's the turnstile D that Avi Lee offers up that requires the 15 or whatever more points-per for comparison purposes. Make an effort to stop somebody every once in awhile, and if you can't, at least get out that and put up some World B Free numbers.

~lw3

Next time Smith shuts down his own man let me know. Who cares if Smith blocks a few shots on a SG or PG? Man on man, he is no better than Lee. Smith doesn't add 15 points worth of value per game more than anyone other than perhaps Jason Collins.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

Next time Smith shuts down his own man let me know. Who cares if Smith blocks a few shots on a SG or PG? Man on man, he is no better than Lee. Smith doesn't add 15 points worth of value per game more than anyone other than perhaps Jason Collins.

I'm not sure you've watched much of David Lee... the guy is affectionately known as "The Doorman" for he will courteously allow you access to the rim and may even help you carry your groceries.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you've watched much of David Lee... the guy is affectionately known as "The Doorman" for he will courteously allow you access to the rim and may even help you carry your groceries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Lee > Smith, I just think that their overall impact is not all that different. Lee is a better scorer and better rebounder. Smith is a better defender and better shotblocker. They are about even in terms of assists. Smith is more prone to turnovers. I think Smith may have a slight advantage over Lee, but it isn't all that great of an advantage.

I guess I'm just tired after seven years of what I perceive to be lack of progress.

Source: http://www.82games.com/1011/1011ATL2.HTM

Josh is a part of 9 of the top 11 floor unit his team puts out. So is David Lee. So we need to compare deeper.

Going further. David Lee's production while he's on the floor. Own 17.7....Opponent 18.9 (-1.2). Josh's production . Own 20.2...Opponent 14.7 (+5.5).

You can score all you want...if you can't stop the other guy you lose.