• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will the Hawks make a deal before the deadline?

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

Will the ownership of the Hawks make a deadline deal to improve the team? We all know this team is not in the top four in the east and does not have the players or chemistry to compete for the eastern conference title.

• Premium Member

If they watched last night's game vs the Pistons they will. The difference in a fresh Bibby opposed to a worn down tired Bibby is 180 deg. This team needs some production at that backup PG position desperately. You can not assume that Bibbs can perform at such a high level consistently.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

If they watched last night's game vs the Pistons they will. The difference in a fresh Bibby opposed to a worn down tired Bibby is 180 deg. This team needs some production at that backup PG position desperately. You can not assume that Bibbs can perform at such a high level consistently.

This team needs a starting pg desperately. If anything, this game proved what a penetrating pg could do for this team.

Not to mention, one that can play a little defense. Shoulda drafted Toney Douglass imo. Woulda been a perfect fit.

Drew is sending Sund and the ASG a message by only playing 1 PG.

They will not trade Crawford's expiring for a longer contract since that puts them in the luxury tax next year.

I could see them flipping Mo for a bench PG but that is about all I would realistically hope for.

I'd put Mo's expiring, Teague's potential, 2nd rounder and call around like crazy for bench PG from rebuilding lottery teams.

Wish list:

Ridnour - Steady Eddie and a guy Sund drafted in Seattle.

Flynn -

Famar - playoff expierence, Nets are rebuilding

Gibson - playoff experience, Cavs are rebuilding

TJ Ford is a possibility if he is traded at the deadline and then cut. Like Big Z last year.

Hinrich would be nice but he is too expensive.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This team needs a starting pg desperately. If anything, this game proved what a penetrating pg could do for this team.

Not to mention, one that can play a little defense. Shoulda drafted Toney Douglass imo. Woulda been a perfect fit.

Either way you cannot bank on Bibby playing the way he did last night. More often than not you'll get the 10 pts / 0 ast Bibby. This team need needs 15pts 10ast from that position to be competitive. Whether they get it form 1 PG or 2 doesn't matter to me.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Roster and owners are set and satisfied.

No changes. If there are changes, they will be small, minor deals for end of the bench type.

The team as it is currently built cannot compete for a conference championship much less an NBA title. If ASG is serious about making the next step, they will need to make some type of move to improve the team. While a big man is desirable, it may be easier to get a quality PG that can play good perimeter defense. That could take a lot of pressure off of our bigs and improve our overall team defense.

Would the team be willing to give up Jamal and a piece to get this done then move Marvin permanently to the 2nd unit? This score offset the loss of the top 6 man in the league by having Bibby and Marvin come off the bench if the PG they acquire can plug holes in the defense.

boobie gibson is not a pg hes a undersized shooting guard who cant handle the ball that well and gets abused on defense

I realize Gibson is limited but he does 1 thing extrememly well and that is shoot. He is a 45% 3 point shooter who is much quicker then Bibby.

Beggars can't be choosers and the Hawks would not have to change the way they play at all to fit him in. Gibson basically plays like Bibby off the ball as a spot up shooter. I think he could step right and fit in with the chemistry b/c of that. He could fill some valueable minutes off the bench and hit some big shots in the playoffs. Its NOT like we would be giving up much for him. Mo is gone next year in free agency. We have not had a 2nd rounder contribute anything of any consequence and Teague's butt is glued to the bench. When Teague does play he looks like a scared deer in headlights.

Is Gibson better then Teague ?

Has Gibson performed well in the playoff when it matters most ?

Could he not play next to JJ or Crawford ?

When Jamal Crawford leaves in free agency next year Gibson could pick up the missed scoring off the bench.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Like I've said, I'd take a trade where we send one of our core (by which I mean Josh/Al/JJ) where we get less-than-equal-value at this point just to have a shake-up effect on the team and hit the proverbial reset button with respect to how they interact on-court. If the front office doesn't see that this core won't get it done - at least not together, at this point - then they're even more blind, stupid, and/or delusional than I thought.

Depressingly, I don't see them making a move. I just hope I'm wrong.

Will the ownership of the Hawks make a deadline deal to improve the team? We all know this team is not in the top four in the east and does not have the players or chemistry to compete for the eastern conference title.

No one I spoke to recently gave me faith like they did a couple of months ago about any deals. Who knows. Some of this is more related to the market and not the Hawks as much as you think. Teams have to make serious decisions and many are waiting on the Melo trade to do anything. People are just posturing from what I've heard recently. Denver holds the cards. I think Atlanta is waiting on them as well. Many teams are.

I realize Gibson is limited but he does 1 thing extrememly well and that is shoot. He is a 45% 3 point shooter who is much quicker then Bibby.

Beggars can't be choosers and the Hawks would not have to change the way they play at all to fit him in. Gibson basically plays like Bibby off the ball as a spot up shooter. I think he could step right and fit in with the chemistry b/c of that. He could fill some valueable minutes off the bench and hit some big shots in the playoffs. Its NOT like we would be giving up much for him. Mo is gone next year in free agency. We have not had a 2nd rounder contribute anything of any consequence and Teague's butt is glued to the bench. When Teague does play he looks like a scared deer in headlights.

Is Gibson better then Teague ?

Has Gibson performed well in the playoff when it matters most ?

Could he not play next to JJ or Crawford ?

When Jamal Crawford leaves in free agency next year Gibson could pick up the missed scoring off the bench.

At PG, Teague> Gibson and I don't say that for Teague> often. Gibson is far from a PG in any system. He's one of those 90/10 SG types. Not the 40/60 SG types which are combo guards.

Hate to always be a pessimist, but we all seem to be thinking a trade will bring in someone to get excited about, in exchange for someone who isn't producing. If a trade is made, it could well be a "What the heck were they thinking?" kind of deal.....But I really hope I'm wrong.