• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are shopping Marvin

pimp

why would you thumb down my post when you know good and damn well i'm speaking the truth. whatever, marvin is probably the biggest bust we've ever drafted next to sheldon williams.

if you see a draft name with "williams", just steer clear.

He is far from our biggest bust. Several players we have drafted are doing a lot worse than 10ppg and 5 rpg in 29 minutes. I do not play the negative ratings game but its your negative rhetoric which is not fact based like this statement that gets you the thumbs down IMO.

Marvin can still contribute and he could fill a role much like Richard Jefferson ( 12ppg, 4rpg ) in San Antonio pretty easily. Our problem is we do not have the offensive fire power of Duncan, Hill, Parker, and Gino. So we need Marvin to do something he is just not capable of and that is to be a primary scoring threat. That is my two cents on Williams. He is not a bust and will be a contributor in this league a long time barring injury.

• Like 3

He is far from our biggest bust. Several players we have drafted are doing a lot worse than 10ppg and 5 rpg in 29 minutes. I do not play the negative ratings game but its your negative rhetoric which is not fact based like this statement that gets you the thumbs down IMO.

Marvin can still contribute and he could fill a role much like Richard Jefferson ( 12ppg, 4rpg ) in San Antonio pretty easily. Our problem is we do not have the offensive fire power of Duncan, Hill, Parker, and Gino. So we need Marvin to do something he is just not capable of and that is to be a primary scoring threat. That is my two cents on Williams. He is not a bust and will be a contributor in this league a long time barring injury.

considering what we passed on and what we could have had, yes, marvin williams is a complete bust and it was STUPID to draft a player who was a SIXTH MAN at UNC.

he is a bust, it is a fact when you compare him to the likes of andrew bogot, deron williams, CP3, bynum, hell, even raymond felton.

bust with a capital B. i would have taken ANYONE in the top 10 draft of 2005 over marvin williams.

The Hawks do need to try and shed some long term salary if they want to bring Jamal back and I think that they do want him back so this doesn't surprise me, especially if we're committed to Josh at the 3. We clearly still need an upgrade at the 1 and 5 positions and Marvin should be able to bring us an upgrade at either.

If we trade Marvin only to resign Jamal then that would be a far worse longterm investment than Marvin's supposed albatross of a contract. Jamal's not just having a slump month, he's spent most of the year regressing to his career norms and given his age you can't expect much different in the future. If Marvin is moved it'll be for multiple smaller contracts or a contract that most likely fits in with Bibby's expiration (his contract, not his legs).

Given the uncertainty of this upcoming summer teams aren't looking to move expiring deals for longer term deals (numerous GMs are on record stating this with guys like Redd staying and Sacramento and Detroit only willing to move Daly and Prince for another expiring) so we can't expect to clear cap yet alone for the purposes of resigning Jamal.

IMO, look for teams that have smaller and shorter contracts that run through the 12/13 window where Marvin would be a clear upgrade in talent. This would be similar to the Maggette for Gadzuric and Charlie Bell deal, something Sund is likely to attempt, a deal that gives fans the illusion of creating better depth at small and big while creating future longterm flexibility.

• Like 1

To say he was a reach at the time is completely inaccurate. Everyone under the sun thought he was going to be a big time player.

What a load of bull! I watched at least 15 UNC games that year and was completely clear that Deron, then Paul (who I wasn't so high one but still liked better than MW), then (if we must) MW. I did so not just for positional and skill-set needs but because after watching MW's for many games as a BU I knew that he simply didn't have the stomach to become a star.

"Everyone under the sun" amongst the mock-heads and "analysts" were blowing the same one-note vuvazela because they were too stupid or lazy to play their own instrument and come up with their own tune. Ask ANYONE who watched UNC for more than 5 games that year and you would have actually gotten a "hell no" to the question of whether we should draft MW ahead of either Deron or Paul. You simply do not go from being the 11th best HSer (he was rated that poorly the year before) to the #2 NBA pick in one year playing as a slightly above average 6th man.

BTW, are you certain you are not KB?

W

If we trade Marvin only to resign Jamal then that would be a far worse longterm investment than Marvin's supposed albatross of a contract. Jamal's not just having a slump month, he's spent most of the year regressing to his career norms and given his age you can't expect much different in the future. If Marvin is moved it'll be for multiple smaller contracts or a contract that most likely fits in with Bibby's expiration (his contract, not his legs).

Given the uncertainty of this upcoming summer teams aren't looking to move expiring deals for longer term deals (numerous GMs are on record stating this with guys like Redd staying and Sacramento and Detroit only willing to move Daly and Prince for another expiring) so we can't expect to clear cap yet alone for the purposes of resigning Jamal.

IMO, look for teams that have smaller and shorter contracts that run through the 12/13 window where Marvin would be a clear upgrade in talent. This would be similar to the Maggette for Gadzuric and Charlie Bell deal, something Sund is likely to attempt, a deal that gives fans the illusion of creating better depth at small and big while creating future longterm flexibility.

I agree with you here. Given his performance this season, I cannot see the point in bringing Jamal back next year. Therefore I'd really try and trade him, and that to me would be a priority before trading Marvin. We can trade Marvin whenever, but we've got a pretty limited time-frame and window in which we could trade Jamal. And losing Jamal for the rest of this season would really not be that much of a sting to us, because the reality is at this point his performance is harming this team more than it's helping us. That's my .02 anyway.

• Like 2

he is absolutely hideous. horrible is an understatement.

Hideous? There's Far worse players in the league than Marvin....we've even got worse on our own team.

I'd keep Marvin over Jamal. Easily. Just for the fact that We don't have enough players that are at least Average on the perimeter defensively as it is.

• Like 4

I agree and I'd rather keep Marvin as opposed to Jamal but Marvin probably has more trade value unless we're trading Jamal for a bad contract so I can see why the team would look to move Marvin and based on his overall production with us I can see why they'd want to re-sign Jamal as well.

i think its gonna be a marvin for sessions,filler swap it just makes sense

If that "filler" includes Hickson or even Eyenga then I'm all in. Eyenga can defend and ball. Defensively, I think he would really help this team tremendously. Defensively he can be one of those 2 SPG/1.5 BPG players. I know he's a guard so I look quickly to ship Crawford for a big. He's also signed for 4 more years at the minimum. Cheap, quality defensive stud.

1st deal:

MW/Teague/2nd...for...Sessions/Eyenga//Moon's expiring.

Then one of several options...

Crawford/1st for Nene

Crawford for Biedrins

Crawford for Hawes/Songalia/2nd or Crawford/ZaZa/2nd for Hawes/Songalia/Kapono

Crawford for Kaman

Crawford for Milicic/Brewer (expiring)

W

• Premium Member

The Hawks do need to try and shed some long term salary if they want to bring Jamal back and I think that they do want him back so this doesn't surprise me, especially if we're committed to Josh at the 3. We clearly still need an upgrade at the 1 and 5 positions and Marvin should be able to bring us an upgrade at either.

Eh, if I had to choose Marv or Craw, I would take Marvin all day. Craw is useful only when his shots are falling (pretty rare occasions nowadays). Marv has shown some game after being relegated to be bench and he actually plays some good D and has no fear in attacking the rim.

Trade some bums (Etan, Powell, Teague, Mo) and a 1st for Sessions, then Craw for some help at the 5 and we're set. Let's have Bibs and Marv coming off the bench along with Craw Jr and Zaza.

• Premium Member

I dont like him at the 3 either, but since he refuses to play like a PF anymore you might as well let him play the 3. This new josh thinks he is reggie miller and refuses to go inside.

If Smoove refuses to play @ the 4 then trade his a$$ for an improvement at Center.Hell, trade him a for good PG if needed. We'd be better off with Al playing PF fulltime anyway.

• Premium Member

If that "filler" includes Hickson or even Eyenga then I'm all in. Eyenga can defend and ball. Defensively, I think he would really help this team tremendously. Defensively he can be one of those 2 SPG/1.5 BPG players. I know he's a guard so I look quickly to ship Crawford for a big. He's also signed for 4 more years at the minimum. Cheap, quality defensive stud.

1st deal:

MW/Teague/2nd...for...Sessions/Eyenga//Moon's expiring.

Then one of several options...

Crawford/1st for Nene

Crawford for Biedrins

Crawford for Hawes/Songalia/2nd or Crawford/ZaZa/2nd for Hawes/Songalia/Kapono

Crawford for Kaman

Crawford for Milicic/Brewer (expiring)

W

I'm not high on giving up on guys, but it looks like it's time. I actually think that BOTH Jamal and Marv are gone. The Hawks are at the point where trading for proven players is the only way to get better. It's kinda sad really because I like Jamal, but his game is all or nothing this season, and that's only on the offensive end of the court. I just don't know what to think about Marv anymore. Does he even 'want' to be a better player than what he is right now? It just feels like it's time for a shakeup to let everyone know that they have to produce EVERY night to stay on the court. I always try to be positive when it comes to the Hawks, especially when I think of how terrible they were a few years ago, but I know this team can be more than what it currently is. If it takes trades to get there, so be it.

• Like 1

Jamal's not just having a slump month, he's spent most of the year regressing to his career norms and given his age you can't expect much different in the future.

I'm trying to figure out this statement, which I have heard several times lately on this forum. What are you talking about? He averaged closer to 20 PPG with NY and GS. If he was "regressing to his career norms" he would be scoring more, not less.

Edited by Watchman

• Admin

Eh, if I had to choose Marv or Craw, I would take Marvin all day. Craw is useful only when his shots are falling (pretty rare occasions nowadays). Marv has shown some game after being relegated to be bench and he actually plays some good D and has no fear in attacking the rim.

Trade some bums (Etan, Powell, Teague, Mo) and a 1st for Sessions, then Craw for some help at the 5 and we're set. Let's have Bibs and Marv coming off the bench along with Craw Jr and Zaza.

I agree with you. Crawford is the better player but he is good when he is scoring. When he is not, he is a liability out there. Marv can provide some points off the bench, he does play defense, he does not try to do too much and his contract is not horrible. That being said, if we resign Crawford he will cost a lot more then Marvin and he is already in his 30s. He is nearing where players skills begin a decline. Crawford probably has more value then Marvin and could bring something better back. I think it is better to keep Marv and trade JC if it comes down it

• Like 1

I agree and I'd rather keep Marvin as opposed to Jamal but Marvin probably has more trade value unless we're trading Jamal for a bad contract so I can see why the team would look to move Marvin and based on his overall production with us I can see why they'd want to re-sign Jamal as well.

Jamal's contract is expiring. He has more value based on the team.