• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What are the top 3 things you want to see in the next CBA?

sturt

The possibility of restructuring a players contract if he has a very significant injury. We don't want anymore Speedy Claxton's, Michael Redd, or other unfortunate cases stagnating the progress of a team.

You can already get an injured player exemption for that player and insurance pays the majority of their salary in the current CBA.

I'd like to see shorter and less guaranteed contracts. Also a franchise tag should be implemented in addition to the MLE only being able to be used like the current BiAnnual exception.

Basketball a sport like Baseball. You should be able to sign players at a super high max so you can pass on signing 2nd tier guys like Joe Johnson to super huge deals. Don't get me wrong, Joe would still be overpaid but hopefully not for us like he is now. Right now, for max, the top tier guys can leave but the ones who will stay for max are the Joe Johnson's and Michael Redd's for the world. I hate the idea of a franchise tag in Basketball. It's dumb, a franchise gets 7 to 8 years with one player. It's not like it was in when T-Mac or Tim Duncan can leave after his 3rd year. If you fail to put a team around players like Lebron or Kobe, they should be able to leave once their contract is up.

To be honest, the NBA is in a weird position. Some teams are losing money, some teams are gaining. It seems to be whichever one has attractive teams are the ones who make money unlike the NFL or MLB where you can make money by being cheap like the Marlins or make money in general like the NFL. Only winning teams with bad attendance is New Orleans and Atlanta. N.O. has no reason other than Katrina and Atlanta has one of the most unattractive teams in the NBA which shows for home and away attendance.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

I'll take a shot...

The Big-Three-ism Antidote Rule: Strengthen incentives for teams to comply to the salary cap, or if not, to remain under the luxury tax threshold.

- Draft either moved back or league establishment of salary cap and luxury tax moved up

- Teams that exceed the salary cap for a given season lose their highest 2nd round pick in that summer's draft, or alternatively, the next draft in which they have one available

- Teams that exceed the LT threshold for a given season, in addition to being taxed as they currently are, lose both their 1st and 2nd round picks in that draft, or alternatively, the next draft in which they have one or both available

- All teams that remain under the salary cap participate in a new lottery that re-distributes the picks of those teams above it

The ASG Rule: Impose new incentive for teams to spend their share of the luxury tax distribution toward new talent.

- Aggregated luxury tax collected currently is distributed in 1/30th shares to the teams as extra income to spend as they wish

- In new system, the 1/30th share instead becomes a rebate of any MLE used in that year

The Big Z Rule: Signing restriction to prevent teams/players from manipulating trades and buy-outs.

- Players bought out of their contracts may negotiate a new contract with any team except those for whom the player has previously played during that same season

1) I'd like to get the minimum AGE raised to 21/ 3 yrs removed from hs

I dont like having a bunch of young guys rotting on the bench, getting paid solely on potential. I think the 19 yr old min. just messes with college bball and isnt that much different from what it was before. Might as well do the same as the NFL and raise it to 21. This gives teams a better look at the player's skills & the maturity of the player also. This also helps older nba veterans as they get to keep their job longer rather than lose it to some first round draft bust, who's only on the team b/c his contract is guaranteed.

2) I dont really like the idea of teams signing bought out players without penalty (especially ones they just traded away)

I think teams signing these players should have some sort of penalty. Its just happening way too much these days.

I'll take a shot...

The Big-Three-ism Antidote Rule: Strengthen incentives for teams to comply to the salary cap, or if not, to remain under the luxury tax threshold.

- Draft either moved back or league establishment of salary cap and luxury tax moved up

- Teams that exceed the salary cap for a given season lose their highest 2nd round pick in that summer's draft, or alternatively, the next draft in which they have one available

- Teams that exceed the LT threshold for a given season, in addition to being taxed as they currently are, lose both their 1st and 2nd round picks in that draft, or alternatively, the next draft in which they have one or both available

- All teams that remain under the salary cap participate in a new lottery that re-distributes the picks of those teams above it

The Big Z Rule: Signing restriction to prevent teams/players from manipulating trades and buy-outs.

- Players bought out of their contracts may negotiate a new contract with any team except those for whom the player has previously played during that same season

I love those 2.

I will add something like a "superstar tag" instead of the rumored franchise tag. This tag should be earned by meeting a performance baseline & accomplishments . Teams can't sign or trade for tagged player if it has 2 or more tagged players.

With this, only trough the draft or if a player on the team becomes a tagged player after having 2 tagged players already, will be the only possible way for a team to have a big 3.

• Premium Member

I would like the following.

1. A harder cap. I would say... no LT... But a cap set at about 70 Million (this year, whatever percentage of the BRI 70 Million is right now). With the only exception being that a team can go over the cap to resign players who have played there for 5 years or more.

2. A rookie contract last 2 years with a TO for an additional year.

3. A buyout results in a players salary coming off the books totally.

4. A 30 day wait on a buy out players re-signing.

5. The ability for a player/team to restructure the player's contract within 30%. That means if a player is signed for a total of 120 Million, he can restructure his contract but he would still get at the least 84 Million or 156 Million but they cannot add more years or take away years. (buy out).

6. Automatic Injury release. IF a player is injured for more than 2/3 (54 games) of the season, his contract is voided for that season (insurance). The team can also force a buy out for the next two years regardless of how many years the player has on the contract.

So if a player signs for 6 yrs... and like Mike Redd is injured in the 2nd year, it becomes Milwaukee's perogative to buy out Redd's next two years... so if he's making 10 Million and 12 Million respectively over the next two years, Milwaukee can pay him 22 Million and not have to pay for the rest of his contract and his numbers are no longer on their books.

7. Do away with trade kickers.

8. Have no limits or minimas on extensions. (if you have a player on the down side of his career, coming off a big contract, you can extend him for whatever you want).

IN essences, my changes will

1. penalize dumb GMs for bad mistakes but not hold the teams hostage to dumb mistakes.

2. Make it hard for stars to move but not impossible.

3. Give both teams and FAs power.

One last thing....

Forget College... Really start the NBADL... Pay High school players/Euro players to come into the NBADL... A stipend of no more than 1 Million dollars. Every team has a nearby farm league. THE NBA DL becomes the minor league of basketball. Get a contract with Versus TV and local affiliates. Make the draft 4 rounds long.

Edited by Diesel

• Premium Member

One last thing....

Forget College... Really start the NBADL... Pay High school players/Euro players to come into the NBADL... A stipend of no more than 1 Million dollars. Every team has a nearby farm league. THE NBA DL becomes the minor league of basketball. Get a contract with Versus TV and local affiliates. Make the draft 4 rounds long.

I like this and it can only be good for the NBA. The NBA is not a developmental league. Yeah you may have to wait a little longer to see LeBron or Durant, but once the ball gets rolling It won't be a big deal at all. Conversely, you'll have these players who have more experience and are more NBA ready. Just as before the last CBA, I think there should be no age limit. I think there should be a minimum job requriement just like everything else.

Bottom line - a minimum of three years pro/semi-pro or 3 years college experience.

....and I'm also in favor of ANYTHING that helps smaller market teams, promotes parity, and discourages that corny Wadejamesbosh bullsh*t. Putting together a good team is one thing, but the amount of ridiculousness that went down in Miami is another. Most notably, something needs to be done to circumvent All Pro players taking a paycut. I don't know if franchise tagging is the answer, but having 3 or 4 megateams in the biggest markets is not good for the rest of the NBA.

Abolish the salary cap but keep a luxury tax. Abolish trade restrictions along with Bird Right's and all those ad hoc elements. Strip the league into 12 team conferences, expand the playoffs into 9 teams. Those 6 teams that don't make the playoffs get relegated to the D-League and are replaced by the top 6 D-Leaguers.

Draft? Take it or leave it, seems like the NCAA is the big reason why the NBA makes most of its decisions on the draft anyway.

Worry about specifics later, but a salary cap is just crap in my opinion. The CBA is just a bunch of lawyer jargon aimed at reducing costs for owners. It is strikingly similar in effect to a cartel agreement.

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Premium Member

I like this and it can only be good for the NBA. The NBA is not a developmental league. Yeah you may have to wait a little longer to see LeBron or Durant, but once the ball gets rolling It won't be a big deal at all. Conversely, you'll have these players who have more experience and are more NBA ready. Just as before the last CBA, I think there should be no age limit. I think there should be a minimum job requriement just like everything else.

Bottom line - a minimum of three years pro/semi-pro or 3 years college experience.

....and I'm also in favor of ANYTHING that helps smaller market teams, promotes parity, and discourages that corny Wadejamesbosh bullsh*t. Putting together a good team is one thing, but the amount of ridiculousness that went down in Miami is another. Most notably, something needs to be done to circumvent All Pro players taking a paycut. I don't know if franchise tagging is the answer, but having 3 or 4 megateams in the biggest markets is not good for the rest of the NBA.

In my plan, I say, get a harder cap. Those players who have bonded with a team for 5 years are exempt from the hard cap (Bird Rules reinvented) however, everybody else must fit in that 70 Million dollar hard cap. That will prevent this dynasty building crap.

Moreover, on the NBAML (Minor League), a player can be called up after 1 year. I don't think you can penalize a team who has drafted John Wall... The truth is that HSers don't struggle much in the NBA. Your best players are still: Kobe, Lebron, Rose, and Durant. Guys who spent 1 year or less in college. But the purpose of the minor leagues are to build a following so that teams don't lose fans. Imagine the Augusta Hawks or the Macon Hawks or the Savannah Hawks. That team already has a fanbase. This is a move that will help sustain basketball. I don't think it will hurt the college game 1 Iota.

I'd like to see shorter and less guaranteed contracts. Also a franchise tag should be implemented in addition to the MLE only being able to be used like the current BiAnnual exception.

I'm late to the party on this but these 2 above I like a lot. No need for 6 and 7 year contracts. I'd like to see 4 be the max length.

The Franchise Tag like the NFL has would be great. However, due a far less # of roster spots for an NBA team compared to an NFL team........having a Frachise Tag every 2 years may be too often. Perhaps once every 3 or 4 seasons would be sufficient.

I also like the "Big Z" rule another poster brought up that would prevent a team from trading a player, and then resign them after a buyout, in the same the season.

Edited by coachx

• Admin

Abolish the salary cap but keep a luxury tax. Abolish trade restrictions along with Bird Right's and all those ad hoc elements. Strip the league into 12 team conferences, expand the playoffs into 9 teams. Those 6 teams that don't make the playoffs get relegated to the D-League and are replaced by the top 6 D-Leaguers.

Draft? Take it or leave it, seems like the NCAA is the big reason why the NBA makes most of its decisions on the draft anyway.

Worry about specifics later, but a salary cap is just crap in my opinion. The CBA is just a bunch of lawyer jargon aimed at reducing costs for owners. It is strikingly similar in effect to a cartel agreement.

I am not saying what the current salary cap is setup correctly but if you abolish the cap then you will have what we got in Baseball. Certain teams will sign whatever they want because of rich owners.There will be 3 or 4 super teams and the league won't be worth watching.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I am not saying what the current salary cap is setup correctly but if you abolish the cap then you will have what we got in Baseball. Certain teams will sign whatever they want because of rich owners.There will be 3 or 4 super teams and the league won't be worth watching.

Actually, there is another way of cost containment and parity promotion that hasn't dawned on baseball yet, which is to expand the use of the Rule 5 draft so that teams cannot dominate free agency without greater affect on their ability to hold onto prospects... and that, paired with a swinging gate on roster size according to a 3 year averaging of W/L%, with the highest getting 35 roster slots and the lowest getting 45 roster slots while the middle remains at 40.... implementing those two modifications would make a salary cap unnecessary.

Could the NBA do something similar? Hadn't really thought so much about it, but the fact that NBA players reach their prime before MLB players do, and that the NCAA is a much more appreciable farm system would have to be taken into account... there's just not the same player development mechanism in-place, so I'm uncertain.

But I'm okay with much of the current system... I think there's enough that's legitimate with it to say you don't really have to overhaul it, but just tinker with certain aspects of it.

Edited by sturt

It may be that you do not like it but that does not translate into everyone not wanting to watch it.

For one thing, looking at owner's wealth along with team's revenue (which will determine their spending) across all NBA teams, there is not a lot of dispersion and certainly not a select group of 3 or 4 that dominate all the others. For your scenario to pan out, there needs to be something that wedges between the 3 or 4 super teams and the rest of the league. I don't see it, and the data doesn't show it.

Edited by hawksfanatic

I would love to see a relegation system, it would eliminate tanking, adds excitement for the fans of the worse teams (right now fans of the Cavs/Wizards/Raptors for example don't have a real reason to want their team to win, cause they already have almost no chance to make the playoffs, so they could care less if they win or not, they might even be happier if they lose, cause it increases their lottery chances) and gives D-League games a purpose (as it is now who cares if the Utah Flash become DL champ or finish dead last? Even the player developing aspect isn't really taking advantage of because many teams rather keep their prospects on the NBA bench instead of sending them to the D-League). But it'll probably never happen in US Sports, because owners of the relegated teams would lose a lot more money and I guess many fans don't want to see a NBA that might not have the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, etc.

Yea, relegation cannot work for the NBA due to major franchises losing money and the DLeague teams not having the infrastructure or fanbase to support a major league team. I've always thought that the lottery was the best deterrent against tanking because no matter if you have the worst record you are not guaranteed and rarely has that team gotten the top overall pick. Perhaps the odds just need to be tweaked some where you are given less of an advantage between the 14th worst team and the 1st worst. This would definitely discourage teams from tanking as it would not benefit them much to have 14 wins as opposed to 28.

The NBA has changed the odds around with the lottery two times, when it began and after it was "unfair" that the Knicks got Ewing. To me thas flawed bcause either way you go there are problems, you want it as a deterrent or as a way to level the playing field? Those are two opposing effects, and I don't have a strong opinion which should win out. Its fairly evident that the draft is strongly tied with the NCAA so I doubt it could be abolished even though I think it would be better for the league and is players if there was no draft. Basketball academies could serve a better purpose for evaluating talent and actually educating players.

As for relegation, the current NBDL teams do not have infrastructure but places like Seattle, KC, San Diego, Pitt, Louisville etc all have infrastructure. You just rearrange which teams are where and there won't be as much hoopla over relocation or teams throwing tempurtantrums at governments for public funding of stadium. Eliminate the threat of relocation, or at least reduce it.

• Premium Member

Yea, relegation cannot work for the NBA due to major franchises losing money and the DLeague teams not having the infrastructure or fanbase to support a major league team. I've always thought that the lottery was the best deterrent against tanking because no matter if you have the worst record you are not guaranteed and rarely has that team gotten the top overall pick. Perhaps the odds just need to be tweaked some where you are given less of an advantage between the 14th worst team and the 1st worst. This would definitely discourage teams from tanking as it would not benefit them much to have 14 wins as opposed to 28.

Draft

I think we miss out by making the draft a year-to-year thing... a 3-year averaging of W/L% to determine lottery Tanking would be even less of a concern because of the significantly reduced likelihood that teams would be close enough together in W/L% to be in competition with one another. Still, I'd keep the lottery but would revamp to make a tiered lottery--so that the worst 5 draw for slots 1-5, second worst 5-10, and so on.

Relegation

Relegation I believe is a worthwhile pursuit because it gives teams something to play for no matter where they are in the wins-losses cycle that is the nature of sports. However, the point is well-taken that it's problematic to do it on a season-to-season basis like the Europeans do with soccer. Instead, it could be done in-season. I developed a system 2-3 years ago that as I recall broke the season into three parts. After the first part which would have every team play every other team plus some regional rivalry games, 10 teams drop out of the pack and play a round-robin schedule for the balance of the year for the equivalent of a bronze medal; after the second, another 10 teams drop out and play round-robin for the balance of the year for the equivalent of a silver medal; and that leaves a final 10 to play a round-robin, yielding a final four who go into tournament play for a championship. Another side benefit of the system is that the season is much more easily condensed since that Final 10 round-robin essentially replaces the conference quarter and semi-finals, and is confined to a set schedule rather than having the volatility and uncertainty that go with best-of games--ie, as few as 4, as many as 7.

It's nice to think about some of these earth-moving changes, like relegation or like inventing an NBA farm system that competes with the NCAA and develops players out of high school... but the reality is that no one wants to accept any more risk these days than what they absolutely have to accept. And on either of those accounts, while there may be reward to be had, there is also substantial financial risk.

On the other hand, sometimes a good idea is just too good to not begin to move toward, and it becomes mainly a matter of people just getting familiar with the possibility. In that regard, this 3-year-averaged and tiered draft might just be do-able.

Edited by sturt