• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LD Future with Hawks

frankthetank966

Fellow members,

It seem as though the Hawks are as close to putting together a serious contender as they've been in years. They have a strong front-court and post game. With time, the team should become better and players will become more suited to their roles.

My immediate concerns are with coaching. It doesn't seem as though Larry Drew is the right guy for the job. He has been given a fair chance, and deserves to finish the season but needs to be replaced after. He is a C-grade coach at best and with the current talent we have we can explode with a well-coached team. What are your thoughts on LD's future with this team? Should he be welcomed back for a second season? Will he improve his coaching style with time?

Frank... this team has Al Horford (on most nights) and not much else...

Bad draft picks, sold draft picks, bad re-signings (Bibby/Marvin/Zaza/Joe), total lack of meaningful FA signings, lack of leadership, lack of credible ownership/vision... I can keep going, but I'm depressed.

Blow the whole thing up; Keep Al, get what you can for Josh/Joe/Marvin, try to do a S&T for Jamal...

I'm not overly optimistic as long as the ASG is around.

Guest Walter

Tis team is fatally flawed (but so is Chicago IMO). It needs personnel changes that net skill sets if not talent (the later harder to get). There is considerable difference that can be made with an excellent coach (Thibideau?) and not an average one (Drew). Why did we not go after Thibideau last offseason?!?

Problem, in terms of personnel I cannot imagine getting greater return on our players. We've waited so long that they no longer have the word PO-tential aligned with them. Problem, cheap ownership. Wouldn't pay for a coach or won't go into the tax.

You won't and don't deserve to win when you are out rebounded, have more TOs, and out defended (FG%). How did we lose in every facet of the game to the Knicks without Billups and Turiaf? Unthinkable personally.

W

You can feel LD losing control of the team. Him always saying the same things over and over, blah blah. Woody sucked, but you don't quit on a coach like these Hawks did, and like Larry Drew's son.

If Larry Drew doesn't take us at least to the second round this year, we fire him. But we can't just promote an assistant coach. Also, I think we should keep Kirk Hinrich, Jamal Crawford, and Al Horford. Let's trade everyone else and see what we can get if w don't go far in the postseason.

If Larry Drew doesn't take us at least to the second round this year, we fire him. But we can't just promote an assistant coach. Also, I think we should keep Kirk Hinrich, Jamal Crawford, and Al Horford. Let's trade everyone else and see what we can get if w don't go far in the postseason.

PS: I really want Rashard Lewis and also a good center.

I agree Drew doesn't seem to command the respect of the players. I think most of us thought this might happen, and now we are seeing it played out. Put this particular failure at the feet of Gearon and gang.

• Like 1

I agree Drew doesn't seem to command the respect of the players. I think most of us thought this might happen, and now we are seeing it played out. Put this particular failure at the feet of Gearon and gang.

Hopefully this individual with the investment group that Kincaid seems to be cautiously optimistic about will buy the Hawks, Thrashers and Phillips and we can get a coach with a good pedigree in here.

I am still of the belief that Joe/Smoove/Al is one of the NBAs best trios. They most find a coach that these guys will play hard for every single night. They must find a coach that will hold them accountable for their play on the court. They must also surround these guys with more capable role players. It doesn't matter how good your trio is if your role players and bench depth is atrocious. The capspace may not be there to make this happen with Joe's Contract and Horf's extension kicking in but next year. They should at least be able to take care of the coaching side of things. LD is a good man and has some knowledge of the game. I respect what he has tried to accomplish here, but these players are just far too comfortable under his leadership and it shows in games like last night.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Tis team is fatally flawed (but so is Chicago IMO). It needs personnel changes that net skill sets if not talent (the later harder to get). There is considerable difference that can be made with an excellent coach (Thibideau?) and not an average one (Drew). Why did we not go after Thibideau last offseason?!?

Problem, in terms of personnel I cannot imagine getting greater return on our players. We've waited so long that they no longer have the word PO-tential aligned with them. Problem, cheap ownership. Wouldn't pay for a coach or won't go into the tax.

You won't and don't deserve to win when you are out rebounded, have more TOs, and out defended (FG%). How did we lose in every facet of the game to the Knicks without Billups and Turiaf? Unthinkable personally.

W

I agree that this team is flawed. However, I think that there is 2-3 simple fixes that will put us on the right road:

1. New Coach. New offensive scheme based on skill set present.

2. Trade Josh for Al Jefferson. While it may seem like a lateral move BBIQ wise, Jefferson has BBIQ problems in the right way. He knows what he can do.

3. get some better defensive players. Ariza over Marvin comes to mind. We need not consider ourselves to be a running team any longer. There are other teams that do it better. We need to be solid.

2. Trade Josh for Al Jefferson. While it may seem like a lateral move BBIQ wise, Jefferson has BBIQ problems in the right way. He knows what he can do.

I don't think Utah would do it.......but I wish they would.

I think Smoove's value is much lower then the board believes.......not Arenas low but he is seen as a head-case around the league.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I have been against Drew from the start. That being said, who else could be get that would be any better at this point? Hell, this is on the players and not the coaching staff. You gotta come out and play hard every night and some of the players dont do that. Josh Smith killed us last night with the turnovers, bad passes that led to the blowout. New York is not a good team, they are gunners who play no defense. We beat ourselves.

I don't think Utah would do it.......but I wish they would.

I think Smoove's value is much lower then the board believes.......not Arenas low but he is seen as a head-case around the league.

I agree man. I think people see his fantasy stats and think superstar to be honest but he is more like a much lesser version of AK47 in his prime. Both are tweeners and both put up great numbers but AK can slide into the small forward position a lot easier for these four reasons.

AK high BBIQ JSmoove low BBIQ

AK decent man defender JSmoove bad man defender

AK good 3pt shooter JSmoove bad 3pt shooter

AK good FT shooter JSmoove bad FT shooter

AK is a more complete player, even though JSmoove is the better fantasy player now. Don't you wish as a Hawk fan fantasy numbers translated into real NBA wins?