• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou and Jon Barry talking Hawks

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

• Premium Member

I don't think any coach alive or dead could reach Josh Smith. He's had enablers his whole life and its shows in his play. He still lacks fundamental skills such as dribbling with both hands, being able to do a chest pass, proper footwork in the post on both offense and defense, etc. He found a shooting coach over the summer that told him to ignore any criticism and just keep shooting. He will never "get it" and do what everyone around him keeps repeating: get in the low post, learn fundamentals, STOP SHOOTING OUTSIDE JUMPERS, attack the basket to get to the free throw line. This guy has been in the NBA for seven years now. He's not changing folk. You can bring any coach in the world in that gym and he's still not changing .

• Like 2

I think Sekou's interview was very interesting. He knows the Hawks a LOT better than anybody in the national media as he was there during the formation of "the core."

Now that he's not working with the AJC and doesn't have to kiss *ss to get interviews, he's speaking his mind. For him to say that he doesn't think it's Larry Drew and that the core won't listen to anybody speaks volumes.

Let's be honest: these players are adults. They don't have to listen to anybody if they don't have to. Granted, if you get a guy that commands respect like Thibadeau it might be different, but the answer at this point is not to get rid of Larry Drew because this team is too stubborn. They think they know everything and our chemistry is a freaking joke.

For the Woody defenders, the only difference between this year and last year is JSmoove is very confident in his jumpshot because of the work he put in. That has translated in lack of rebounding and less offensive efficiency

Sekou says blow the team up (or at least a couple parts). He continues to note Josh Smith and Marvin Williams first. I agree. Let's see how LD does when he's not coaching a bunch of stubborn five year olds.

I don't think any coach alive or dead could reach Josh Smith. He's had enablers his whole life and its shows in his play. He still lacks fundamental skills such as dribbling with both hands, being able to do a chest pass, proper footwork in the post on both offense and defense, etc. He found a shooting coach over the summer that told him to ignore any criticism and just keep shooting. He will never "get it" and do what everyone around him keeps repeating: get in the low post, learn fundamentals, STOP SHOOTING OUTSIDE JUMPERS, attack the basket to get to the free throw line. This guy has been in the NBA for seven years now. He's not changing folk. You can bring any coach in the world in that gym and he's still not changing .

There is the truth.

Some people are just born / raised to be stubborn.

• Premium Member

Sekou says blow the team up (or at least a couple parts). He continues to note Josh Smith and Marvin Williams first. I agree. Let's see how LD does when he's not coaching a bunch of stubborn five year olds.

LD??? The team is a reflection of the coach... heartless.

• Like 1

Josh's prime years are being wasted because of lack of someone teaching him anything. Bring on Fratello or Hubie. You'll see what Josh can be.

Josh needs to look in the mirror and have some accountability. He makes the mistakes that you teach against in 4th grade.

Edited by coachx

Some great points made by both Jon Barry and Sekou.

No one steps up to our leadership role, we have no passion to win at all. A few years ago we considered ourselves to be young and growing, now we are neither of those. Broken team, broken organization, however you want to call it. Like I continue to say, this organization needs to make some big changes in the off-season, starting with our "core".

• Premium Member

Some great points made by both Jon Barry and Sekou.

No one steps up to our leadership role, we have no passion to win at all. A few years ago we considered ourselves to be young and growing, now we are neither of those. Broken team, broken organization, however you want to call it. Like I continue to say, this organization needs to make some big changes in the off-season, starting with our "core".

There has to be a team in the league willing to take on JJ's contract. Sekou and 790 talking like the Hawks are stuck with JJ for the duration.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

There has to be a team in the league willing to take on JJ's contract. Sekou and 790 talking like the Hawks are stuck with JJ for the duration.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone would take on Joe's contract after seeing his play this season. He's averaging a season low in just about everything, as if he was worth the max before this. We are stuck with Joe for at least 2-3 more years sadly. :kickcan:

Perhaps because 5 years at 20 mil per for a 30+ year old slow guard is not exactly enticing to other teams unless they are offering back similar or worse parts in return. God help this team if there is a lengthy lockout because that will just push JJ's contract back a year and further into his 30s.

The only way, IMO, you move JJ is to a desperate team rebuilding like Cleveland. In the trade section, I proposed an offseason plan that had us dealing JJ and Teague to Cleveland for Jamison and Sessions. I think that's the kind of deal that might get it done. Use Jamison off the bench as your new 6th man and then you clear cap space for Dwight Howard or Chris Paul after that season. There's more to that plan if you're interested in checking it out! lol.

We're stuck with JJ. That's why we need to build players around him so his contract isn't as big of an albatross as it already is. Rashard Lewis' contract wasn't as big of a deal when they got Dwight Howard, Jameer Nelson, and Hedo Turkoglu.

The only way we trade JJ is for somebody equally as poor (down the road in his contract) worth about the same amount at a position where we need it more.

All this assumes that JJ doesn't blow up into a 24 PPG player... but at that point we might want to keep him.

I'm sorry but KH is nothing more than royal ivey with a better jumpshot. He gets to the line and drives as bibby did and vastly overrated defender. Drew has basically conned his way into a coaching job. He has players in the same position as did woodson does with josh at the deep elbow while joe dribbles like a person with OCD. I was expecting a more traditional offense but shame on me for believing he would deviate from iso basketball.

Pick and pops with AH and more post up opportunities for JS was suppose to be mandatory. When you see joe iso'ing a mile away you can easily see the other players gravitating away from him with second nature like brain dead zombies just waiting for something to happen. It's the same with crawford when he does his shtick.

The only way, IMO, you move JJ is to a desperate team rebuilding like Cleveland. In the trade section, I proposed an offseason plan that had us dealing JJ and Teague to Cleveland for Jamison and Sessions. I think that's the kind of deal that might get it done. Use Jamison off the bench as your new 6th man and then you clear cap space for Dwight Howard or Chris Paul after that season. There's more to that plan if you're interested in checking it out! lol.

Rebuilding teams have even less use for overpaid veterans, they require young building blocks on cheap contracts instead.

Only hope at moving JJ is to a contender on their way up or trying to stave off their fall down and they won't give up value in return outside of their excess players.

• Premium Member

Rebuilding teams have even less use for overpaid veterans, they require young building blocks on cheap contracts instead.

Only hope at moving JJ is to a contender on their way up or trying to stave off their fall down and they won't give up value in return outside of their excess players.

Hawks don't need value in return. The goal should be to dump JJ at any cost. Expiring contracts and draft picks would do just fine.

I could see the Mavs, Trailblazers, or Knicks being dumb enough to take him.

Edited by NineOhTheRino