• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson: "I just think we don’t understand who should get the ball"

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
Down the stretch, I just think we don’t understand who should get the ball. Throughout the game, everyone’s free-flow playing, taking shots, making plays. … (But in the last five minutes), we don’t understand or we don’t know who that person is. If you notice the last four or five minutes, (expletive), I don’t think we know who should take the (expletive) shot.

On if it’s because plays aren’t being called: “I don’t know. It’s frustrating to me. You’ve got to go with the flow.

That’s why we look a little stagnant and lost the last three or four to five minutes, because nobody knows and everybody’s out there just jacking up shots.

I’m just frustrated. Like I said, we do a lot of talking but at the same time, we get out there on the court and we do nothing right, even though we know what to do.

I think Joe got it 100% right. Looked like every guy got tight. No one wanted to be the reason the Hawks blew another one.

• Like 1

Tighter defense. That's what happens. Teamd have learned that the Hawks can't

function with a tight, man to man defense. They hold off with this until the game

is on the line, then, when properly executed, the Hawks are shut down.

It happens, over and over. We all see it. If you go back and watch last night's game,

you will see. 4th quarter defense was different. And, we see the results. Why don't

teams play the Hawks this way the entire game? No need to. Wait until the game

is on the line, then do it. Hawks can't handle it. They can't adjust. Then, it's all over.

:scratchhead:

• Like 2

As I said the other day Joe and Jamal were told they had to give up shots because there were too many iso's and Al and Josh needed more shots from the post . Well theyve given up touches and Al and josh have gotten more touches but all theyve done is take more jumpshots and now is to the point where Al and Josh wont even play unless they are getting a ton of touches . I think everyone went into this season believing Al and Josh could carry this team offensively and it has been a total disaster.

I think that the team wouldve been better of choosing either Al or Josh trading the one we didnt want and then getting that ONE GUY more touches within the offense while pairing him with a bigman who would be out there to do the dirty work . Instead we tried to do that with TWO and now neither of them wants to do the dirty work .

Right now Josh thinks hes option #1 and Al doesnt play anymore unless the offense runs through him.

They shouldve never made the drastic changes that we did offensively for marginal offensive bigs. I wouldve simply expanded the playbook and kept the iso's but I wouldve also started teague from day one and became more of a running team.

• Like 1

As I said the other day Joe and Jamal were told they had to give up shots because there were too many iso's and Al and Josh needed more shots from the post . Well theyve given up touches and Al and josh have gotten more touches but all theyve done is take more jumpshots and now is to the point where Al and Josh wont even play unless they are getting a ton of touches . I think everyone went into this season believing Al and Josh could carry this team offensively and it has been a total disaster.

I think that the team wouldve been better of choosing either Al or Josh trading the one we didnt want and then getting that ONE GUY more touches within the offense while pairing him with a bigman who would be out there to do the dirty work . Instead we tried to do that with TWO and now neither of them wants to do the dirty work .

Right now Josh thinks hes option #1 and Al doesnt play anymore unless the offense runs through him.

They shouldve never made the drastic changes that we did offensively for marginal offensive bigs. I wouldve simply expanded the playbook and kept the iso's but I wouldve also started teague from day one and became more of a running team.

I agree with this. Naming 3 captains was also a bad idea because now it seems that they all believe they are the "man" (Josh and Al). Nobody wants to do the dirty work. I have always liked Al's game because he wasn't spectacular but consistent and brought his hard hat everygame. This year he worked on his jump shot but negelected his post game and toughness. Making Josh a captain seems to have given him the liscense to just shoot whenever and from where ever he wants. There is nothing wrong with getting them more touches, but it's the quality and location of those touches that is the problem.

• Premium Member

Agreed. More than that, it seems likely that a big part of what's going on is that JJ has gotten sick of other guys not executing, and doing a Marvin impression is his passive/aggressive way of showing his disapproval. To pick up on what a guy over on the AJC blog (vava74) suggested awhile back, it seems like JJ checks out of games in response to other players (esp Josh and Jamal) engaging in his pet peeves. Like against Chicago - he played well early on, and on both ends of the floor, only to "check out" in the second quarter as the jumper parade and the defensive breakdowns continued. The irony is that his shooting percentages are not bad at all since the All-Star break. A .444 FG% and .500+ eFG% (his shooting numbers since the ASG) is actually good for a guard. He’s just shooting a lot less.

This is not a defense of JJ at ALL. It’s really selfish and immature to check out on your teammates because you don’t like the way they’re playing, instead of confronting them and telling them to cut it out. It highlights how much of a non-leader he really is. But it seems to me that the dropoff for Joe has been different in kind than simply the shooting "slumps" that we've seen him go into in the past. It’s not as simple as “he’s shooting badly.” His whole game, demeanor, and body language have changed.

I think we’re really going to regret not shaking up the core much more deeply at the trade deadline. I don’t think JJ, Josh, and Jamal can effectively coexist on the floor together anymore. I just don't.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Me thinks Joe should worry about his own sorry a$$ game. If he is gonna start pointing fingers he needs to start with himself...

he's been hanging around Al too much

• Like 3

[quote name='plskeepbibby' timestamp='1300982071' post='502333'

Me thinks Joe should worry about his own sorry a$$ game. If he is gonna start pointing fingers he needs to start with himself...

Well, what do you suggest he do? Take even less shots? The guy needs become a bigger factor in the offense than what he has become for us to be more successful. He has only gotten more than 15 shots in 7 of the last 25 games. We are 5-2 in those 7 games. We are 21-10 when he gets more than 15 shots. We are 14-17 when he gets less than 15. He needs to become a bigger part of the offense. As I said, he definitely plays his part but he isn't being utilized as a true first option for this team. The more shots he gets up, the more we win. The less involved he is offensively, the more likely we lose. We really do go as his offense does.

• Like 1

If Joe had a spine or anything manly around his groin he'd come out and say he should get the ball. Even though he sucks, he's our guy sadly.

I agree. He should be far more demanding than he is. Things may be reaching the point where he is left with no choice though. This isn't his first parting shot. He and Al both need to stop up and say what needs to be said, even if it is away from the public.

• Moderators

Well, what do you suggest he do? Take even less shots? The guy needs become a bigger factor in the offense than what he has become for us to be more successful. He has only gotten more than 15 shots in 7 of the last 25 games. We are 5-2 in those 7 games. We are 21-10 when he gets more than 15 shots. We are 14-17 when he gets less than 15. He needs to become a bigger part of the offense. As I said, he definitely plays his part but he isn't being utilized as a true first option for this team. The more shots he gets up, the more we win. The less involved he is offensively, the more likely we lose. We really do go as his offense does.

My first request would be to start drawing fouls. He isn't so much less of a physical speciman than guys like Kevin Martin that he can't get at least half the free throw attempts that Martin gets.

Martin is averaging 9.5 FTA/36 this season and 7.8 FTA/36 for his career. Joe is averaging 3.4 FTA/36 this season and 3.2 FTA/36 for his career. It isn't a matter of touches - Martin's career average is 14.3 FGA/36 compared to JJ's 15.0 FGA/36.

This would really enhance his game and would also be a sign of leadership. He is setting a bad example for others on getting to the line right now.

Getting to the line isn't part of his dna just like being aggressive isn't part of marvin's. He has the most advanced skillset posting up but refuses to do so. It's much more frustrating than josh's shot selection imo.

I'm assuming drew was woodys "OC", it kind of explains why they still run the same setup when joe is in iso mode. I would atleast trade josh and als place in that particular setup, what do I know.

• Premium Member

If Joe had a spine or anything manly around his groin he'd come out and say he should get the ball. Even though he sucks, he's our guy sadly.

Bam.

He's speaking the truth in his "under the radar" kind of way. We are not going to win with Smoove trying to be a #1 or #2 option.

• Premium Member

My first request would be to start drawing fouls. He isn't so much less of a physical speciman than guys like Kevin Martin that he can't get at least half the free throw attempts that Martin gets.

Martin is averaging 9.5 FTA/36 this season and 7.8 FTA/36 for his career. Joe is averaging 3.4 FTA/36 this season and 3.2 FTA/36 for his career. It isn't a matter of touches - Martin's career average is 14.3 FGA/36 compared to JJ's 15.0 FGA/36.

This would really enhance his game and would also be a sign of leadership. He is setting a bad example for others on getting to the line right now.

Ever seen JJ dive for a lose ball, take a charge or give a hard-foul? He probably thinks those type of physical-hustle plays are beneath him.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 4