Stan Van Gundy didnt view Magic game as a statement game

Guest Squawker

Guest Squawker

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2011/03/magic-hawks-pregame-stan-van-gundy-discusses-magic-injuries.html

If playing your upcoming playoff opponent where if you beat them on their home floor they probably lose all confidence and go into more dissaray than they already are isn't a statement game than i don't know what is.

If the Magic beat us tonight i see no chance of us beating them in the playoffs.

But since we did beat them i think we have a great chance of besting them in a 7 game series

For these reasons,

1. The guys played all four quarters.

2. We didn't just give up when the Magic started making runs.

3. We followed our game plan the WHOLE game and didn't run away from it in the fourth or even third quarter like Ive seen in many other Hawks games.

On a side note, I think that the reason our lead was cut down in the fourth was coach Drew's fault because of bad substitutions. But other than that it was a great game and win.

Josh Smith said pretty much the same thing about this being a statement game.

Playoffs are a different cat. Can Hawks skin this cat? Stay tuned, we'll se.

:pleasantry:

Josh Smith said pretty much the same thing about this being a statement game.

Playoffs are a different cat. Can Hawks skin this cat? Stay tuned, we'll se.

:pleasantry:

Yeah G-M...but Jerome did get a little smile out of Smoove at the end of the interview. I think our guys like the win. Clubs should be hoppin tonight :dancer:

We beat the Magic at home last year around this time and it didn't matter come playoff time.

I would think that it may mean a little bit more this time though. Collins is in better shape and our approach to Dwight was pretty good. I think it at least showed that we shouldn't crumble as much + we have better PG defense. Coaches are all known liars so it really doesn't matter what came out of SVG's mouth.

PG defense has improved, but I think Teague is much better than Hinrich against the likes of Nelson and Arenas. Hinrch was getting taken to school all night by Jameer. Teague didn't let his man breathe for the 3 mins he played. Coach needs to notice things like this. The only reason guys like Craw and Kirk get the nod over Teague is their potential to score and I say potential becuz neither are very consistent when we need them. Last year yes Craw > Teague. This year not as much in terms of effectiveness

• Like 2

• Moderators

PG defense has improved, but I think Teague is much better than Hinrich against the likes of Nelson and Arenas. Hinrch was getting taken to school all night by Jameer. Teague didn't let his man breathe for the 3 mins he played. Coach needs to notice things like this. The only reason guys like Craw and Kirk get the nod over Teague is their potential to score and I say potential becuz neither are very consistent when we need them. Last year yes Craw > Teague. This year not as much in terms of effectiveness

Can we email this to LD. Teague is the key. We screwed up by not trying to utilize Jordan. Lets not let Teague rot on the bench.

Hes right it wasnt a statement game . It was simply another regular season win in a otherwise disappointing season . Saying this is somehow a statement game is simply grasping at straws by a team with confidence issues .

I feel it was a statement game to the guys wearing the Hawks uniforms. They needed something to build on heading into the playoffs, and beating Orlando had to do wonders for their confidence in each other. Likewise, I think Boston tomorrow is the same thing, same mindset for our guys.

• Like 1

It was a good win, but the three wins we have this year against the Magic all should have an asterik beside them. Not sure of the order exactly but I think the first win, Orlando had several guys recovering from the flue. I was at the next win at Phillips - it was the first night after thier big trade so they basically had a new team. And the last win was with 3 Orlando guys on the injured list. So I don't think we've really seen a real unqualified winnnng game yet.

But despite all that, I think this year's Magic don't have our number like last year's team did, and I don't see an epic blowout like last year.

Can someone fill me in on who there all missing...?

Only 2 I noticed was JJ Redick and duhon...

I know orton is on ir... But he has been all year

Redick is the only rotation player I could see that didn't play. I have no idea why people are using that like a legitimate excuse.

Redick is the only rotation player I could see that didn't play. I have no idea why people are using that like a legitimate excuse.

Haha yeah, I was about to say the same thing. I'm sure one will find another excuse for why Orlando lost.

I can see Orlando not thinking this is a statement game; but for us it is. We do not want to have a losing trend going into the playoffs with a team like ours that has never made it past the 2nd round and been blown out in two consecutive sweeps. Magic are a lot like the Celtics now, been there done that, playoffs and rings are the only thing that matter.

I like the fact that we have played and beaten that Magic this year, but as one other poster said we beat them at the end of the regular season last year as well. The real question for our team is can we up our intensity in the playoffs and force the action, or do we go through the motions again and just hope the ball bounces our way?