• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons Draft 2K11

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

What are your thoughts on the directions the Dirty Birds will go, especially in the early rounds? Should they stand pat and wait for the best available DE or OLB to fall in their lap, address another position, or take the so-called best player available?

My hunches at the moment:

1 (27) Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - I want a quality follow-up to Michael Turner and I am not willing to wait another year. I'd rather trade up if we want to aim for a top-tier DE/OLB.

2 (59) Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland - Need a downfield playmaker to complement Roddy White

3 (91) Sam Acho, OLB/DE, Texas - Future replacement for Mike Peterson and/or John Abraham

4 (124) Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State - Needs polish but can contribute to nickel packages right away

5 (158) Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho - Pudgy prospect could use some work but a capable playmaker

6 (192) Zach Hurd, G, Connecticut - Massive size, could be groomed for a future tackle spot

7 (210) Chas Henry, P, Florida - Not usually big on drafting kickers/punters, but could replace Michael Koenen

7 (229) Mike Mohamed, ILB, California - Long-armed and solid tackler, could be an asset for special teams

7 (230) Derek Newton, T, Arkansas State - Fast learner to supplement blocking corps

~lw3

• Like 1

I'd love to trade down but that is a cop out. There is not alwayse a trade partner so here is a mock based on where they stand now.

27. B. Reed DE - with other 4-3 DEs like Houston, Kerrigan, and Clayborn off the board at #27 the Falcons take the next best 4-3 pass rushing DE. He is both bigger and faster then Bierman was coming out of school. Should be an instant upgrade at LE and can eventually replace Abraham at RE. He has the that little bit of extra burst to get to the QB......Biermann was 1 step away from about 9 more sacks last year. Well, Brooks Reed has that extra burst to get there and finish the deal.

59. J Jernigan WR - The Falcons get one of the most explosive WRs in the draft. The slot WR the Falcons wished Douglas would be....a guy who can a 5 yard pass to the house ! T. Smith, R. Cobb, Hankerson will be WR I think will be off the board at #59.

91. M. Gilchrest S/CB - Played every possible DB position at Clemson from outside CB, to nickle back, to either S. Falcons lack any real depth at S with the loss of Eric Coleman and W. Moore's injury history. Falcons need instant help at nickle back and Gilchrest can do that too. This has turned into passing league so I go DB here over OL this year. ( We just took M. Johnson in the rrd last year and Hawley in the 4th).

124. A. Green RB - This guy is shooting up draft boards.....pay no attention to internet mocks. At 225 lbs he ran a 4.45 forty at the combine. Then at the East / West Shrine game he appeared to be the best RB there according to scouts reports. His combination of size and speed cannot be ignored. His senior tape is great........he was ignored for 3 years due to Hawaii pass heavy offense.

158. L. Ziemba - Nasty run blocker who paved the way for C. Newton as a LT and projects to RT in the NFL. He would fit right in with Clabo and Dahl's style of play. Have him work with them for a couple of seasons and he should be ready. Gives much needed depth at T that the Falcons lack.

192. S. Oordt TE - Played in a run dominated offense at Northern Iowa where they ran the ball on a 2 to 1 ratio all year. None the less Oordt was 2nd on the team in catches while averaging over 17 ypc. At 6'6'' , 263 lbs, and 4.63 forty you have the clay to mold into a solid NFL TE. He can cause instant matchup problems in 2 TE sets (which the Falcons run a lot) as a developmental TE.

210. M. Fannin RB/ FB - Backup RB at Auburn with past fumbling issues (which can be corrected). Yet he has elite size / speed combination and soft hands catching the ball. I see him as our swing back who can back up either RB or FB. Would easily make the practice squad and would be called up if there is an injury in year #1. Could turn into our next J. Snelling. If some teams offers Snelling starting RB's money then he walks in FA and Fannin makes the active roster for Game 1.

229. G. McElroy QB - Word is that with the delayed non drafted FA signings due to the lockout... that the Falcons are looking at backup QBs with 1 of their 7th Round picks. McElroy will not dazzle anyone but he never beats himself and can be a game managing QB. Another QB they are looking at here is T. Yates out of UNC.

230. M. Legree FS - Falcons need depth here and take small school kid like Dimitroff loves to do so much as a former DB scout.

Below is a list of players who there are proven reports of the Falcons having personal meetings with.http://life.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3917093-2011-players-the-falcons-have-shown-interest-in/

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

1 (27) Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama - I want a quality follow-up to Michael Turner and I am not willing to wait another year. I'd rather trade up if we want to aim for a top-tier DE/OLB.

I have heard reports that he has an arthritic knee according to teams medical reports.

2 (59) Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland - Need a downfield playmaker to complement Roddy White

Would love him at #59 but I think he is gone by #40.

3 (91) Sam Acho, OLB/DE, Texas - Future replacement for Mike Peterson and/or John Abraham

Most scouts project him as a 3-4 OLB going in the 2nd round. He would be great value at #91 if available but I definately don't see him as 4-3 OLB like Peterson but he could suprise people and be a succesfull 4-3 DE.

4 (124) Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah State - Needs polish but can contribute to nickel packages right away

5 (158) Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho - Pudgy prospect could use some work but a capable playmaker

6 (192) Zach Hurd, G, Connecticut - Massive size, could be groomed for a future tackle spot

7 (210) Chas Henry, P, Florida - Not usually big on drafting kickers/punters, but could replace Michael Koenen

7 (229) Mike Mohamed, ILB, California - Long-armed and solid tackler, could be an asset for special teams

7 (230) Derek Newton, T, Arkansas State - Fast learner to supplement blocking corps

~lw3

I'm really not familliar with any of these guys.

Here is a good site to pick up some thoughts of some die hard Falcons fans on the draft. These guys actually track each and ever prospect the Falcons fly in or fly out to have individual workouts and meetings with.

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/forum/56-nfl-draft-and-free-agency/

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Guys I like at #27:

DE

J. Houston

B. Reed

J. Sheard

All 3 of the above players played 4-3 DE in college. (Houston played 1 year as a 3-4 OLB but 2 years as a 4-3 DE.) All 3 of them have the athletic ability for 3-4 teams consider them as OLB and they are big enough to be 4-3 DE. Sheard may be a slight reach at #27 but Houston or Reed would be good value if available.

LT

D. Sherrod - S. Baker can be upgraded at LT. Baker is average at best and has some injury issues. If Sherrod goes to the Saints, Bucs, Seahawks, Ravens, or Eagles then it simply means a DE is more likley to fall to us.

CB

B. Harris- Love the fact that he is a excellent man to man cover corner and a sure tackler in one. You never see him described as a Cover 2 CB which I like about him. He also does an excellent job of tackling which is vital for the nickle back position. He is extrememly quick with the ability to turn left or right on dime which is necissity at nickle back where you don't have the sideline to help you.

Edited by coachx

Well!

Your thoughts???

~lw3

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! We traded away our draft! This could either win us a SB or two or be an absolute disaster. What fun!

On a serious note, this is very unlike Dimitroff to do this. Patriots spent years trading down. I suspect Dimitroff feels really good about the current depth and the projected caps and our ability to sign a pass-rushing DE. He's been right so far, so I will have faith. Part of me thinks this is the Ricky Williams trade all over again.

Whoa. He better be allpro. :question:

The trouble is that even if he is all-pro, he won't likely be so for 3-5 years when WR's peak. I can understand the thinking, wanting to pair a burner with White, and 2 All-pro receivers would make us beastly on offense. However, expecting a rookie wideout to give you decent production is folly. Roddy White might be the best WR in the NFL right now, but he didn't really hit his stride until his 3rd year. Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are the best two WR's I've seen come out in the draft in the past decade, but they both struggled a bit in their first years, putting up mediocre numbers. The only WR I can recall having an outstanding rookie year off the top of my head is Randy Moss. I guess the QB's throwing to those rookie wideouts, save Moss, have been below-average, but it's pretty universally recognized that wideouts take time to develop...if they develop at all. The list of top-10 flops at WR is too long to go into.

The only way I could see the Falcons making this kind of trade is to get a game-changing DT. Those guys almost always have to be drafted, and they can have such a profound effect on defense if they can collapse the pocket and demand double-teams.

I tried to have faith, but my skepticism is winning out :(

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm feeling a little Rick-Sund-warmed-over with the trade. Certainly gave up too much, but if we finally get back to the Super Bowl a couple times with Roddy and Julio (and if Holmgren screws up all those picks), noone will remember what we unloaded to the Browns.

Is Matt Ryan going to be able to get the deep ball to our newest JJ consistently?

And, sooooo, any need to make a run at Mr. "Nice knowing you, N'Awlins," Reggie Bush? I'd say no, but he'd be a heckuva upgrade from Jerious Norwood if he can stay on the field.

~lw3

I have more faith in TD then I do Sund. This will be a very good deal in the short term and long term. Roddy White will be 30 this year. So you're guessing he might have 2-3 years left being a #1. By then Julio should be ready to emerge as our #1 WR and will be only 25 years old.

Yep.........in 3 years White will be 33 and Turner will be 32 and Gonzo will be long since retired.

The defense is very young, with the exception of Abraham, but the offense was aging before Ryan could hit his prime.

I'm hoping for Ray Edwards as a FA LE and an upgrade at nickle back since C. Owens got torched and B. Williams is old and injury prone.

At pick #91 here is who I'm looking at tonight: (Players in bold had individual meeting and workouts with Atlanta)

Foster OLB

Gilchrest FS / CB

Carmichael CB

Stocker TE

Jordan TE

Nevis DT

Matthews DE

McPhee DE

Romeus DE

Murray RB

Green RB

Jones RB

Rodgers RB

Ziemba T

Edited by coachx

Waiting on Da'Quan Bowers' name to get called is starting to make MY knee hurt.

For free agent DEs, any interest in Charles Johnson (Panthers)?

~lw3

I hate that the Bucs got Bowers. If his knee holds up, he will be fierce. Definitely the top DE in the draft and he fell to 51

Hearing the reports on Bowers didn't sound good. He will eventually need micro-fracture surgery from the sound of it. That alone is a 2 years injury for a basketball player. No telling what it will be for a NFL Player. He is a good kid so hopefully he can have a good career except against us. On a different note Roddy posted this video. He is starting the rookie hazing already. lol

http://www.sportsbuzz.com/buzz/12474

Falcons take UGA LB Akeem Dent with their 3rd round pick. A good pick and should be a good backup to Lofton. Lofton has those knee problems(hopefully nothing serious).

Edited by Paladin

Don't know how much attention the rest of you guys paid to Rodgers out at Oregon St. but with me being a USC fan I saw plenty of that kid and take it from me the kid is legit!!! I know he's small but dude can just flat out play, he makes plays....thats really all you have to say about him. His 40 time wasn't that great but watching him in game looks like he's moving 2 steps faster than everybody else out there, he's quick as crap and can definitely be that skat back guy that we need to compliment Turner. He's got great hands and can be a real threat out of the backfield catching the ball. He's Darren Sproiles basically....and if we can get that in the 5th round I'll take that all day.

Now we just need to get that DE in free agency and I think we're good...but I'm excited about the offense this year.....WINNING!!!!!! LOL

And that, I would submit, was at the heart of Dimitroff’s thinking. The Falcons needed to get faster on offense, and this draft — and their bolt upward — gave them that chance. As for Jones not being a No. 1 receiver: He won’t be one now, but he might be in 2013, when White will be 31.

Was there risk involved in trading up? Sure. There always is. But that risk is mitigated by reality: The Falcons weren’t far from the Super Bowl last season, and they’re a bit closer now. They still need some defensive work done, but trades and free agents will offer that chance (assuming the lockout ever ends for more than a few hours).

My bottom line: There was no defensive player apt to be available at No. 27 who could have helped the Falcons nearly as much as Julio Jones will. Give them an A for effort, and also for execution.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/05/01/draft-grades-mel-still-isnt-crazy-about-what-the-falcons-did/

Rest of the draft went well, IMO. Dent was a solid pick who will contribute. He played above his measurables in college, and MLB who do that tend to contribute in the pros. Just ask Jessie Tuggle. I found the Rogers pick very intriguing. If he'd been so much as 5'9", he would've been entertained as a first round pick. Being 5'6", he was bound to slide, but he's not slight. I'm hearing he's 200 lbs at that height? Sounds like a little fleet-footed wrecking ball. Like that the Falcons put their sights on him and moved up 15 picks or so to get him. He also caught 150+ passes in his career at OSU I heard. The Cliff Matthews pick sounds like a good value and I love the fact that we drafted a punter. Dont' know enough to say whether he's any good but this team has signed undrafted FA punters for years. Nice to get a boomer by using a pick if you can.