• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Gaye Williams

DJlaysitup

I am furious at Marvin :comando:

The guy is 6 foot 9 - 240 lbs..and gets ONE rebound....one.

Granted he scored 10 points...but he plays an "impact" position. You simply cannot have an oversized fatassed SF if he can't do athletic things. The guy is giving us no more than we woud get from Damien...and lets remember, Damien came here on a ten day contract - available to any team in the league.

SF is a position that would normally be a 6-7/6-8 wiry player with skills. Tough enough to get his share of rebounds and also skilled and quick enough to go to the hole and finish. Marvin shows me none of these qualities. He can't slash to the hoop and elevate, he is a borderline shooter, and he doesn't rebound for his size. He has fumble-fingers and is nearly useless on the fast break. He doesn't create turnovers defensively and he is generally slow-footed.

We need to upgrade at the SF position next year IMO. Marvin simply isn't getting the job done. :kickcan:

:stirthepot:

The real question is, "Who is not to blame?"

I don't believe we can blame Wilkins or the guys down at the end of the bench who never

gets in the game. JT has done everything we could possibly expect from him - - and more.

Now, who does that leave to blame?

There's enough to go around. Every other Hawk gets a huge portion.

:beathorse:

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

How in the world do we re-up his contract?

He is a 6'9" forward that doesn't play in the post...Conversely he has NO HANDLE and can not break anything but his own ankles in a one on one scenario. He is a terrible player. Jos Smith at 108 years old last year looked more smooth on the floor than Marvin.

Time to trade him....for what I am not sure....but please trade him. He is garbage...plain and simple.

I honestly think Marvin peaked in 09..

I honestly think Marvin peaked in 04

• Like 1

I look at this guy's playoff stats and I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Say what you will about his "solid defense" and being a "consummate team player", so on and so forth. This guy is ...I can't even think of a word for him offensively. Non-existent is too generous. Imagine if he gave us anything? I hope like hell he can next game, which turns into next game, which turns into next week, to next month, to next season.....

Cmon Marvin. This core is peaking at the perfect time and even took time off during the regular season and played possum to do so. Poor players' 6'8 and above main job is to crash the offensive boards because you aren't a scoring threat nor does anyone care enough about you to put a body on you after the shot. His downright sissy averages of 5.5 and 2.5 would double if he concentrated on that alone. Awesome time for you to do something. Anything.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

How in the world do we re-up his contract?

He is a 6'9" forward that doesn't play in the post...Conversely he has NO HANDLE and can not break anything but his own ankles in a one on one scenario. He is a terrible player. Jos Smith at 108 years old last year looked more smooth on the floor than Marvin.

Time to trade him....for what I am not sure....but please trade him. He is garbage...plain and simple.

I lol'd.

Marvin ain't worth a damn.

• Premium Member

If we somehow knock off the Bulls and make it to the next round, we'll need Marvin something fierce against LeBron/Pierce.

Look at his stat sheet and you'll come away saying "he sucks." Watch the actual games, and I honestly don't understand how Marvin gets the hate he always gets around here. He plays hard and smart, does the little things well, and is probably our best on-ball defender with Hinrich out and certainly is our most versatile on-ball defender. There are only a handful of guys in the league who manage to consistently stay in front of their man on defense and contest every shot without committing dumb fouls or overplaying his man (the last part of which knocks out a ton of otherwise good defenders, like Artest and Matt Barnes). Among perimeter players today, it's really just Battier, Sefolosha, Hinrich (when healthy), CP3 (same), Rondo, Iguodala, and him. And unlike most of those guys, Marvin can and does use his length to contest shots by guys who are 6'10+.

Is he as good as CP3/Deron? No. Is he anything close to what you hope out of a #2 pick? No. Does $7.5M seem like too much to pay him? On the vast majority of nights, yes. But would we be hard-pressed to find someone who brings his off-the-stat-sheet contributions without b*tching about his role or trying to force his way into a bigger role in an offense where there already are too many egos to satisfy? I honestly think we would be.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If the Hawks make it to the next round, they'll need Marvin to bring energy and solid defense off the bench. I can't remember who, but one poster said it best..the Hawks lack of physicality is a huge problem. It's no coincidence that when the Hawks insert a bigger and more physical player in the starting lineup, they get off to better starts and thus perform well overall. The Bulls thrive off of out muscling their opponents. When you counteract that, you give yourself a chance to beat them, as well as the other top teams.