• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Watching OKC is a little depressing...

OKC had the second pick and Durant was a freakin NO BRAINER at the second pick. But I do give them credit for the westbrook and harden picks because there were good players with them. They have a good scouting department but they also have this freakish chemistry as if they are almost brothers on and off the court.

OKC had the second pick and Durant was a freakin NO BRAINER at the second pick. But I do give them credit for the westbrook and harden picks because there were good players with them. They have a good scouting department but they also have this freakish chemistry as if they are almost brothers on and off the court.

True, he was a no-brainer, but CP/D-Will were for us, too, as far as I'm concerned (que dead horse). Just saying, that's how quickly a franchise can become elite when opportunities align AND the right decisions are made.

They drafted well at every position and whatever position that they had an overabundance at they traded away to get better balance on the roster. Not revolutionary thinking or scouting but then again it's not hard to beat out a plan that involves drafting nothing but 6'8" forwards to fill out a roster.

• Like 1

They drafted well at every position and whatever position that they had an overabundance at they traded away to get better balance on the roster. Not revolutionary thinking or scouting but then again it's not hard to beat out a plan that involves drafting nothing but 6'8" forwards to fill out a roster.

Hey, it's all about having interchangeable parts so we can play that switching style of defense.....

In two drafts and one trade they're all set for years to come. Why do the Hawks, who've had more opportunities, have to make it so hard?

Sigh.

To be honest BALLER...I have to wonder if there are ANY TRUE talent evaluators in the NBA at all. Of course Oden was an athletic big man and those are hard to come by...but guys like Durant are even HARDER to come by. I mean honestly, even if Oden had remained healthy he wasn't the only athletic 6-11/7 footer in the league.

Take us for an example - 6-9 SGs are cool but there are a bunch of 6-6/6-7 shooting guards who can compete. PG is the thing (and we even needed one).

Honestly...whoever is in charge of talent evaluation on most teams are just watching espn and cashing checks.

• Like 2

To be honest BALLER...I have to wonder if there are ANY TRUE talent evaluators in the NBA at all. Of course Oden was an athletic big man and those are hard to come by...but guys like Durant are even HARDER to come by. I mean honestly, even if Oden had remained healthy he wasn't the only athletic 6-11/7 footer in the league.

Take us for an example - 6-9 SGs are cool but there are a bunch of 6-6/6-7 shooting guards who can compete. PG is the thing (and we even needed one).

Honestly...whoever is in charge of talent evaluation on most teams are just watching espn and cashing checks.

Good point but honestly the only knock on him was that he was skinny as heck, but to be that big with that type of wingspan and having the skill set that the has, he will become completely unguardable in a couple of years as he hones his craft.

Durant is basically Ray Allen at 6'11 which is inhuman to be honest. Oden is extremely rare when he came out. 7'1, 275, great athlete, very high BBIQ, an impact player defensively and an good post player. He had all defensive potential and 24-10 potential. He could have been the best player in the NBA TODAY easily! His impact would be better than Dwight since he had a better feel for the game on offense and defensively was near as good. There is NO one I would have drafted over Oden in the 2000's. Lebron, Dwight, Griffin, etc. Oden was just too impactful to pass on regardless of the injuries. Now he's a shadow of the past but as a prospect, he was truly special.

Durant is basically Ray Allen at 6'11 which is inhuman to be honest. Oden is extremely rare when he came out. 7'1, 275, great athlete, very high BBIQ, an impact player defensively and an good post player. He had all defensive potential and 24-10 potential. He could have been the best player in the NBA TODAY easily! His impact would be better than Dwight since he had a better feel for the game on offense and defensively was near as good. There is NO one I would have drafted over Oden in the 2000's. Lebron, Dwight, Griffin, etc. Oden was just too impactful to pass on regardless of the injuries. Now he's a shadow of the past but as a prospect, he was truly special.

ummmm, even when he was not injured he was good but not anywhere near the level where you put him

The most depressing thing is Atlanta has the #7 payroll and OKC the #25 payroll.

I'm pretty sure OKC has mostly rookie pay-scale salaries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure OKC has mostly rookie pay-scale salaries. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Perk & Collinson got new deals this year. KD signed an extension.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Perk & Collinson got new deals this year. KD signed an extension.

The extensions (Perk and KD) don't kick in until next year...so they are still on rookie wage scale

Ya.....that pick of Westbrook especially shocked some people around the league at the time. It seems he was taken 3rd but many expected him to go closer to 10 at the time.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

In two drafts and one trade they're all set for years to come. Why do the Hawks, who've had more opportunities, have to make it so hard?

Sigh.

Go back and read all the posts in here from the past 8 years or so. People JUST. DON'T. GET IT.

We shouldn't have traded Gasol.

We shouldn't have traded our lottery pick for Lorenzen Wright.

We shouldn't have tried to "Win without losing"

We should have tanked in 2004.

We should have picked a PG in 2005.

We should not have promised Shellhead in 2006.

We shouldn't have given Phoenix TWO first rounders for Joe.

We should have hired Doc Rivers when he was overachieving in Orlando - and we probably should hire Adelman RIGHT FN NOW - but the Lakers will do that.

...and etc. ad nauseum.

There is a formula to ALL of professional sports that BEGINS with a phenomenal player. Because there are only 10 players on the court at a time, it is is even more important for a professional basketball team to have a phenomenal player. Problem is, we always miss these players. We have traditionally built "decent" teams, then scrambled around like yardsale shoppers looking for that bargain SF, PG, or C that would magically put us over the top. Even now, people are afraid to make deals with the talent we have thinking that some magical hubcap is going to make our Camry outperform a Ferrari. Hell, I'd bet $100 to $1 that there is AT LEAST one guy on this board that is afraid to deal Marvin.

Truth is, we could be good to very good with a decent coach and some tweaking. But, chances are...that without "that player", we're going to always struggle to get out of the 2nd round. Trivia: which team in the conference finals did not draft the centerpiece of their team? "Miami, you stupid Wretch!" It's up for debate who's team that is, but they found their player in DWade and he is the centerpiece of that franchise. We need a CP3, a Howard, etc. More Trivia: which team(s) in the past 40 years got to the ECFs or the Finals without drafting their centerpiece?

NOBODY is going to give us that player and even with all the capspace in the world we are not going to sign him as a free agent. Which is why most teams DRAFT that centerpiece and BUILD AROUND IT. We need a homerun trade, a miracle, or we need to START. OVER.

Simple as that.

• Premium Member

The 2012 draft class is said to be incredibly deep. If we really want to start doing things the right way...............this upcoming season is the right one to blow it up & tank.

Hawks may need to consider biting the bullet and "resting" JJ for the season.

• Moderators

More Trivia: which team(s) in the past 40 years got to the ECFs or the Finals without drafting their centerpiece?

It hasn't been that rare that the best player on a conference finalist or finalist team has not been drafted by that team.

NOTE: I am including draft day trades as drafting that player so that Dirk counts as being a draft centerpiece for Dallas even though he was technically drafted by Milwaukee, etc.

1998 - 2010

2010 - Finals - Boston Celtics - Kevin Garnett Trade

WCF - Phoenix Suns - Steve Nash FA

2008 - Champs - Boston Celtics - Kevin Garnett Trade

ECF - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups/Rasheed Wallace/Richard Hamilton/Ben Wallace Trade & FA

2007 - ECF - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups/Rasheed Wallace/Richard Hamilton/Ben Wallace Trade & FA

2006 - ECF - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups/Rasheed Wallace/Richard Hamilton/Ben Wallace Trade & FA

2005 - Finals - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups/Rasheed Wallace/Richard Hamilton/Ben Wallace Trade & FA

2004 - Champs - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups/Rasheed Wallace/Richard Hamilton/Ben Wallace Trade & FA

Finals - LA Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal FA

ECF - Indiana Pacers - Jermaine O'Neal Trade

2003 - Finals - New Jersey Nets - Jason Kidd Trade

ECF - Detroit Pistons - Chauncey Billups FA

2002 - Champs - LA Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal FA

Finals - New Jersey Nets - Jason Kidd Trade

WCF - Sacramento Kings - Chris Webber Trade

2001 - Champs - LA Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal FA

ECF - Milwaukee Bucks - Ray Allen Trade

2000 - Champs - LA Lakers - Shaquille O'Neal FA

ECF - New York Knicks - Houston/Sprewell/Camby Trade/FA

WCF - Portland Trailblazers - Rasheed Wallace Trade