• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hope the Hawks Learn a Lesson Team Concept Beats 3 Stars

thescout5

It was SWEET seeing the Mavs beat the Heat and players like Dirk,Terry and Kidd win a ring. All year we heard about the Heat being the team to beat but in the end 1 all star and the team philosphy beat the Heat. It isn't the norm what the Mavs did ( one star player and team beat 3 star players and the rest) so how can the Hawks learn from what the Mavs did? The Mavs have Mark Cuban who isn't afraid to go out and get the right pieces unlike Hawks ownership just sitting around resigning their own players and calling it a day. Acquiring Chandler was huge for the Mavs something they haven't had before. Add Kid,Terry,Barrera,Marion,Stephenson all played a vital role in the Mavs team win. The Hawks seem to fold and players don't step up when its money time. Defense once again proves how important it is to play it. Teams will be playing alot of zone now on the Heat.

I'm happy the Mavs won but wish the Hawks could be like the Mavs and develop that team concept where everyone is vital to winning. The Mavs learned something from losing in the past which I don't get that feeling being a Hawks fan. Veteran leadership is huge and there isn't much on the Hawks despite being veterans of the playoffs for a few years now. Can you call JJ,Smoove,Horford leaders? Watching the Mavs just shows me how far the Hawks have to go to win it all.

Here comes all the posts blowing the Mavs out of proportion. I missed this great defense they supposedly played. There PG's that made true impacts were little scoring PG's that everyone else gets knocked for. Dallas does a lot of stuff unconventional I think that's what people are missing. They won with 2 shoot first PG's in Barrea and Jason Terry, playing a small backcourt in Barrea and Kidd or Terry and Kidd, playing a 7ft jumpshooter and a bunch of pieces. I agree they got the correct pieces to win this year, but if they had lost most would be talking about the small backcourt they went to or how Dirk needs to do this or that. Winning is getting them blown out of proportion in this case.

• Like 2

The Hawks need Chris Paul with Emeka Okafor. Horford and Johnson with Jamal off the bench is easily the best team in the NBA. In order to be elite and the best.

You have to have:

BBIQ

Defense

Court Balance unless you are Miami.

A superstar

Three point shooting.

A philosophy. Atlanta doesn't have one even after all these years.

Toughness

Heart

Ability to score an easy basket. I have never seen a team in the Finals who couldn't score an easy basket.

Here comes all the posts blowing the Mavs out of proportion. I missed this great defense they supposedly played. There PG's that made true impacts were little scoring PG's that everyone else gets knocked for. Dallas does a lot of stuff unconventional I think that's what people are missing. They won with 2 shoot first PG's in Barrea and Jason Terry, playing a small backcourt in Barrea and Kidd or Terry and Kidd, playing a 7ft jumpshooter and a bunch of pieces. I agree they got the correct pieces to win this year, but if they had lost most would be talking about the small backcourt they went to or how Dirk needs to do this or that. Winning is getting them blown out of proportion in this case.

Are you blind? Dallas played great defense.

Are you blind? Dallas played great defense.

Dallas defense has been very good since Avery was HC. Dallas zone defense is elite with Chandler.

• Moderators

Who is the Hawk's superstar?

That is the difficulty with applying thus too broadly. Conceptually, this team was closer to Houston (MVP level talent with strong non-star supporting cast) than Detroit (numerous non-MVP level All-Stars fit together like hands in a glove).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It was good for Dallas to win in the manner that they did. It really will make teams think had about building these superteams without thinking about skillset. Dallas' background players are a very good force. Not to mention that nobody talks about the fact that Caron Butler was missing. Dallas had a collection of Good players that filled each skillset. Starting with PG and C. Jason Kidd is ancient but he's stable able to break down a defense. Dallas' shooters are good enough to keep the floor spread. Dallas' Berea and Terry were able to drive when they needed to.

It was funny watching JET drive past Lebron and either Dish or layin. They were the right combination of experience, heart, and talent. Any team that wants to win a championship would be well advised to look at Dallas' example when going to battle.

• Like 2

It was SWEET seeing the Mavs beat the Heat and players like Dirk,Terry and Kidd win a ring. All year we heard about the Heat being the team to beat but in the end 1 all star and the team philosphy beat the Heat. It isn't the norm what the Mavs did ( one star player and team beat 3 star players and the rest) so how can the Hawks learn from what the Mavs did? The Mavs have Mark Cuban who isn't afraid to go out and get the right pieces unlike Hawks ownership just sitting around resigning their own players and calling it a day. Acquiring Chandler was huge for the Mavs something they haven't had before. Add Kid,Terry,Barrera,Marion,Stephenson all played a vital role in the Mavs team win. The Hawks seem to fold and players don't step up when its money time. Defense once again proves how important it is to play it. Teams will be playing alot of zone now on the Heat.

I'm happy the Mavs won but wish the Hawks could be like the Mavs and develop that team concept where everyone is vital to winning. The Mavs learned something from losing in the past which I don't get that feeling being a Hawks fan. Veteran leadership is huge and there isn't much on the Hawks despite being veterans of the playoffs for a few years now. Can you call JJ,Smoove,Horford leaders? Watching the Mavs just shows me how far the Hawks have to go to win it all.

The Mavs have a 2 future hall of famers.

The Hawks have a bunch of role players,(who dont even know their roles may I add).

And Dallas' bench is just as good or better than the Hawks starters.

Enough said.

Not to mention, we've got 100 owners who can put all of their money together and still come up a few billion $ short of Mark Cubans bank account.

Hawks are a 1st or second rd team at best from hear on out until they're sold.

And thats a fact.

Agreed that the Mavs owner (Cuban) will continue to get the right players for the team. It burns me up being a Hawks fan and having ASG just sit on their butts and bring in players like Jason Collins while the Mavs make moves for players like Chandler, Kidd, Marion. The Mavs have alot of vets especially Kidd,Terry and dirk who have been to the championship before. I just don't think keeping the same core of Smoove,Horford,Marvin,JJ is going to reap huge benefits to win a championship as Hawk fans.

We always seem to overlook the defense when building a team and it's another reason the Hawks won't be going deep in the playoffs. Until they get a legit big man who can board, block shots and score a little this team will always lack inside presence to do much in the playoffs. Hopefully Teague is the answer but he's a long way from dominating night in and night out. I don't think the Hawks have a committment to win it all but instead just make the playoffs and it's a lousy feeling. The status quo seems to be resign the current Hawks big free agent to bes and everything will take care of itself with maturity/experience. Won't happen this team lacks basketball IQ, talent and coaching. Carlisle did a great job and was a big reason the Mavs pulled it out. Lary Drew I don't get the feeling he'll ever be an elite coach.

It was great to see a team with one superstar and a bunch of role players (granted Kidd,Marion,Chandler are still good but not elite) win it all over the 3 amigos who thought they could step on the court and beat anyone. Their team concept was missing and if they want a championshhip are going to need role players to come through. They did lose 4-2 in the series but I feel had Carlisle been the Heat's coach would have won the series. I'd say the Hawks don't have a superstar so how do they develop a championship team or can you win without a superstar on your team nowadays?

Scout, I pretty much echoed the same thing almost a year ago. The key difference between the Mavs and Hawks is the leadership at the top. While the owners-who-shall-not-be-mentioned are resigned to keeping 'the core' in tact and bringing in a bunch of minimum-salaried guys in order to stay below the luxury tax line, teams like Dallas make moves to bring in REAL players to help them win world titles. They didn't have to make moves for Caron Butler or Tyson Chandler in order for them to win 50 games; they made those moves because winning 50 games isn't all that impressive when you're getting sand kicked in your face in the playoffs every year. Until the Hawks get the memo, well...

A lot of people are talking about Mark Cuban being able to throw money at players to get them, but in most cases the Mavs had to give something up to get those players, so it's not just about money. The Mavs have done a great job holding onto assets and moving them when the time was right. To get Jason Kidd they traded Devin Harris, some expiring contracts, and two 1st round picks. To get Tyson Chandler they dumped Erick Dampier's expiring contract. People talk about the Hawks not making moves, but they have little to no assets other teams would want. You have to give up something to get something.

The Mavs have a 2 future hall of famers.

The Hawks have a bunch of role players,(who dont even know their roles may I add).

And Dallas' bench is just as good or better than the Hawks starters.

Enough said.

Not to mention, we've got 100 owners who can put all of their money together and still come up a few billion $ short of Mark Cubans bank account.

Hawks are a 1st or second rd team at best from hear on out until they're sold.

And thats a fact.

Joe, Josh, and Al are much better than role players. Joe can be a HOF. Al has some areas he is elite at as does Smith. They just don't fit in their current roles.

A lot of people are talking about Mark Cuban being able to throw money at players to get them, but in most cases the Mavs had to give something up to get those players, so it's not just about money. The Mavs have done a great job holding onto assets and moving them when the time was right. To get Jason Kidd they traded Devin Harris, some expiring contracts, and two 1st round picks. To get Tyson Chandler they dumped Erick Dampier's expiring contract. People talk about the Hawks not making moves, but they have little to no assets other teams would want. You have to give up something to get something.

This. Atlanta tired to make the same move as Dallas. Dallas just had better pieces to trade outside of our Big 3. They have a fit. They always had a player to build around. People want to come to Dallas. They treat their players like royalty while there. Atlanta fans got to realize our two best players are at best with players who make them better and one might be best coming off the bench for a contending team.

Also please remember that the pieces they added didn't happen in one season....it's taken them 5 years to get back to the NBA finals. When they were getting beaten in the 1st round for the last 4 years they were labeled soft.

Also please remember that the pieces they added didn't happen in one season....it's taken them 5 years to get back to the NBA finals. When they were getting beaten in the 1st round for the last 4 years they were labeled soft.

+1. They still had one constant, Dirk. Atlanta has to get that constant. Horford is a player who needs someone who can create his shot. Joe needs to be a #2. Atlanta has to find a #1 option without trading their big 3 or get a superstar who can alter both.

• Like 1

Mavs payroll is 90 million

ATl payroll is 71 million

19 million is enough to fill out the roster with 2-3 more quality rotation players.

I said two years ago when we resigned Bibby,Marvin,Zaza, even Mo that we blew it because we didnt maximize our assets.

Instead of signing Zaza to a 4 yr 16 million dollar deal you sign him to a 3 year 20 million dollar deal

Instead of signing Bibby to a 3 year deal at 18 mil you give him a 2 yr deal at 22 mil

same with Marvin and Mo shorter deals with higher salaries

You do this because you understand that down the line no good players will have base nba salaries and so unless you plan on trading Joe,Al,or Josh you wont have any other pieces able to be moved .

The Mavs will overpay in yearly salary so that they will always have the salaries to move for someone a team is looking to dump who maybe could help them .

Marvin in the final year of a 3 deal makes him a valuable trade chip even at 10 mil . Marvin + future pick for Kaman ? We wouldve been able to get involved in the Melo talks .These are the types of situations that Cubans tries to put himself in even if he doesnt always get what he wants hes so in tune to whats going on that he is able to move quickly when opportunities present themselves .

We build our team as though the Bibby signings were the lats move we would ever make and we are paying the price now .

• Like 4

Dirk+Depth+Good Coaching beats Big 3+zero depth+Bad Coaching.

I always felt that this will be the worst Miami team over their contract's lifetime given the fact that they had to burn all their resources in one summer to assemble the amigos and fielded a bench and starters even worse than the Hawks. If the new CBA is agreeable they will be able to reload with better veterans, buy numerous draft picks and once Riley feels as if Spoelstra has done enough grooming of his horse he'll step down from his penthouse and run the team back to a ring.