• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's take

DrReality

I think we hit the brakes if nothing big is done, but also see Boston and Orlando (they lose Howard and it will be several notches) dropping a notch or two as well. My point being, we might not improve but just staying the status quo we will be in better shape because other teams are not just staying pat but dropping even more.

We are still young and not getting old in the tooth like Boston and have no one other than Craw to replace ( TMac and Watson will do that and could be more ). I can see us looking better this season simply because those two teams are going to get worse. Could be a lot worse for at least one of them.

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin

I agree with his assessment as well. We need to make a move and change things up if we want to move forward. We have two quality / almost redundant power forwards (one a little disgruntled). Its time to go out and change the pieces up to see if we can make this team better.

I - personally - think Sekou is a typical dumb pundit who doesn't have a clue about how a team will react to a weird short-term deal like this. I call these guys sh!t sayers.

I can really see our guys saying to themselves - well we are all back together so let's play some ball. We got a 66 game season so lets go out and win 50.

The early run will be tough but if coach can get them past that with and even record I could see a couple winning streaks....I could even see a long winning streak in there. GO HAWKS!!!!

• Like 1

I can really see our guys saying to themselves - well we are all back together so let's play some ball. We got a 66 game season so lets go out and win 50.

The early run will be tough but if coach can get them past that with and even record I could see a couple winning streaks....I could even see a long winning streak in there. GO HAWKS!!!!

As much as i hope you are right, it is going to be a stretch to win 50 games.. 40 is more realistic

I think losing Jamal is going to hurt us alot worse than people are imagining.. I know were hoping mcgrady can fill the stats off the bench but it will be hard to replace jamal's clutch shots at the end of the game.. IT IS gonna be all about staying healthy with this team and believing in each other...

I would have been more confident if we replaced Crawford with someone who actually will play defense. When has a middle playoff team ever improved significantly by adding a former star in way past his prime?

While I'm not saying I'm 100% on staying course with the "core", but I'd rather see a more balanced bench. For the past few years, it's really been a 1-man bench. This season, it at least appears we're trying to add more depth. Good teams always have vet players on their bench for vet minimums. It's more than just a crowd draw. Oooh, I wanna see Shaq before he retires. Oooh, I wanna see Grant Hill before he retires. It's about leadership and winning. The vets come to teams they feel will give them a chance to be a winner. Otherwise, they'd take more money elsewhere.

If we signed Watson and make no other trades, I see our bench as Watson (PG), Hinrich (SG/PG), McGrady (SF/SG), Pachulia ©, and Collins (C against bigger guys). Compare that to last season and I think Watson, Hinrich, McGrady > Crawford because essentially, no one else was getting significant burn off the bench at the 1-3 slots other than Crawford.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would have been more confident if we replaced Crawford with someone who actually will play defense. When has a middle playoff team ever improved significantly by adding a former star in way past his prime?

The guy replacing Crawford can play D. His name is Kirk Hinrich. T-Mac is there as Marvin insurance and potential upgrade at SF and to our depth.

• Moderators

Didn't Sekou have a little falling out with the Hawks whenever he left for NBATV? I think he is still bitter for whatever reason, I don't believe he has said a single good thing about the team since he jumped national. Hell, he didn't even talk about this team in a good light when he was here. f***'em.

I feel that's right too. Seems like he's been making this prediction for two years. I'm not optimistic about the season but these kind of predictions are just stupid because you always have a decent chance of being right. But who wants to gloat over someone elses failure...oh right, sports bloggers do.

For us to drop down, all the teams above us have to stay put and teams below us have to move up. With all the back-to-backs, I don't see Orlando, Boston and New York doing great with their current roster. Howard can't go 40 mins a night as Orlando's only big man. Boston is aging. And outside of Carmelo, Stoudemire and Billups, New York has: Turiaf, Balkman, Toney Douglas, and Landry Fields.

This is definitely not the year we fall off.

i think this is a year where predictions are going to be pretty much worthless (not that they were that good in any year) as no one really can predict the number of injuries that are going to happen. Remember how many guys this year in the NFL went down with Achilles issues? There will be a veritable epidemic of such injuries through January in the NBA.

With all the b2bs coaches are going to have to really rely on benches and in some cases, just sacrifice games (e.g. limit starters to less than 30 minutes).

Edited by frosgrim

Jamal's scoring might be gone, but so is his defense. Give & take. I think we will be perfectly fine. Teague & Horford with more scoring opportunities.

The hawks averaged only 95 points per game last year. It will be the low 90's or maybe the high 80's this year.

The guy replacing Crawford can play D. His name is Kirk Hinrich. T-Mac is there as Marvin insurance and potential upgrade at SF and to our depth.

Kirk Hinrich was a good player he 2007. In 2012 he isn't much of anything.