Draft Mistakes - the death of our Hawks

DJlaysitup

The (Marvin) draft was simply the worst draft the Atlanta Hawks ever had. The Hawks were somewhat lucky in not getting the top pick (Andrew Bogut)...although he would have been better than what they ended up with.

The Hawks were in need of a point guard...and there were two top level point guards available. #1 - Chris Paul..a dynamic PG who worked out for the Hawks and wanted to be the 2nd pick to lead the Hawks into the real top level of the league. #2 - Deron...out of U. Illinois..a big tough PG who lacked Paul's explosiveness but made up with it with game understanding.

The Atlanta Hawks picked Marvin Williams..basically duplicating their pick from the year before with another small forward.

It was a time when many pundits thought that a team had to pick the "best player available"...and they all thought that a sub from UNC was the best. Sadly, our talent evaluators went along.

Now...we have no shot - NO SHOT - at getting CP3...he will go to a bigtime team.

We could have been a bigtime team..if we evaluated talent properly and drafted for need that one year. Instead we later drafted for need and took Shelden. We are always seemingly one step behind.

That said...I think we have a real shot this year if Teague can shoot a jumpshot. cheers.gif

• Admin

That was a bad pick but that was a bad year for draft picks. Roy's injuries have cut his career short, we already had SF's so Rudy Gay was not an option. Rondo was not thought that highly of so most teams passed on him so he was a steal in the 20s as was Kyle Lowry. The rest of the draft class after Sheldon pretty much were bench players or out of the league.

Why does everyone on this board persistently bring up how bad the Hawks past drafts have gone? I mean seriously, I think everyone in the world knows that we should've taken Chris Paul over Marvin, but all the posts in the world won't change it. We have Marvin, not Chris Paul. Get over it already and move on.

• Like 1

We did sqaunder a lot of opportunities - which is why we kep on getting lottery picks. One thing to keep in mind. Had we drafted smarter ealier, we probably wouldn't have gotten some of the talent we got later. Had we picked Deron Williams or Chris Paul instead of Marvin, or someone other than Sheldon Williams probably would not have Al Horford, for ex.

Why does everyone on this board persistently bring up how bad the Hawks past drafts have gone? I mean seriously, I think everyone in the world knows that we should've taken Chris Paul over Marvin, but all the posts in the world won't change it. We have Marvin, not Chris Paul. Get over it already and move on.

Because instead of being able to deal from a position of strength with assets other teams would want, the team is digging deep in the recycle bin to find players. Not taking full advantage of those picks when the team was gawd awful is the reason why so many folks don't take them seriously. Ask around about this franchise and the same issues keep coming up (no need to rehash those, there isn't enough bandwidth on my phone to do it).

That's why folks keep bringing it up. Just rug sweeping the root of the problems would be like rug sweeping stuff the day after your spouse has an affair...

Edited by Dejay