• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Battlestar Sciatica: Is the Back Problem, um, Straightened Out?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

No more "Down" time? He's been trying to "Wing" it for years. But it sounds like he couldn't "Duck" the surgery any longer... (sorry! just getting the jokes out while I still can!)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/nov/15/marvin-waiting-out-the-nba-lockout/#ixzz1e7Ek71nn

The lockout wasn't a complete loss for Williams, 25. He had back surgery in June and spent his entire summer recovering. He's used the extra time to get back in shape.

Williams had a disc in his back pushing into a nerve. It would make a leg go numb at random times.

Williams' dad, Marvin Williams Sr., said his son has walked bent over for several years. He never told anybody about the pain.

"The doctors said, 'I don't know how he's tolerated it this long,'" Marvin Sr. said.

The last two years, Williams averaged just over 10 points and about five rebounds per game. The two yeas before that, his averages were closer to 14 points and six rebounds.

The recovery required a lot of down time. Williams was allowed to take walks and that was it. His doctor didn't even want him going up and down the stairs in his house.

"I had never been inactive for that period of time," Williams said.

Since the lockout precluded him access to the Hawks' medical staff or equipment, he went back to Chapel Hill, N.C., to rehab at North Carolina.

He was cleared to play in early September. It was rough getting back in shape as he played several times a day.

"I couldn't breathe," he said.

Now that he's healthy, and not walking bent over, people think he's grown, Marvin Sr. said.

The extra time has allowed him to get healthy and back in shape. Williams said he's ready to go once the lockout is lifted. He has two years remaining on his contract for just under $16 million. He has an option for a third at $7.5 million.

"It's been a blessing," Wiliams said, noting that some players are getting time with family they don't normally get.

"I think he's more eager to get back on the court and show everybody he's the old Marvin," Marvin Sr., said.

Here's to 14-and-6 Marvin... we've missed ya!

~lw3

Marvin's back has been a major problem but like T-Mac I don't know if we will see what Marvin could potentially be.

So now, if there is an amnesty clause do they hang onto him hoping he's fixed, or do they cut him loose?

Yea I was thinking the same thing.... hopefully our staff can assess if this has helped his game (coordination - which is related to the spine). We may need to think about giving Joe the amnesty.

• Premium Member

Lol, little did we know while criticizing Marv all this time that he's been battling debilitating back and leg pain....

Whole new doors of future disappointment have just flown open laugh.png .

Doesn't that also mean that he went into his last contract negotiation knowing that he was dealing with this debilitating injury and he allowed Atlanta to overpay him. His contract should be voided out because he went into the negotiations knowing that he couldn't perform what was expected because of a health issue.

Doesn't that also mean that he went into his last contract negotiation knowing that he was dealing with this debilitating injury and he allowed Atlanta to overpay him. His contract should be voided out because he went into the negotiations knowing that he couldn't perform what was expected because of a health issue.

Joe Johnson's contract should be voided too seeing as he walked into Max contract negotiations with a bad elbow.

Thanks, Diesel! You saved the Hawks! blow%20out%20candles.gif

• Like 1

So now, if there is an amnesty clause do they hang onto him hoping he's fixed, or do they cut him loose?

I think some of the owners are pushing for a 2 year period in which to use the clause. If this happens they could evaluate him before deciding what to do.

• Premium Member

Marvin has had back stuff done before. You remember Chiropractic stuff, Core training, etc.. I noticed that the news of Marvin's Fixed back doesn't come until after talk about an amnesty clause surfaces. Marvin's agent is a genius.

Marvin has had back stuff done before. You remember Chiropractic stuff, Core training, etc.. I noticed that the news of Marvin's Fixed back doesn't come until after talk about an amnesty clause surfaces. Marvin's agent is a genius.

Not the same thing as surgery Diesel. Come on, I know you will be the LAST person to give Marvin the benefit of the doubt but I will until I see him on the court this year.

The way I see it is if we can get 20% more out of Marvin this year , if this back issue is true , and Teague plays like he did in the playoffs , that could make a world of difference for this team

• Premium Member

I noticed that the news of Marvin's Fixed back doesn't come until after talk about an amnesty clause surfaces. Marvin's agent is a genius.

The amnesty wouldn't void Marvin's contract; it would simply take it off the Hawks' books for cap and tax purposes. Marvin would still get paid every cent under his current contract. Nice try, though.

The amnesty wouldn't void Marvin's contract; it would simply take it off the Hawks' books for cap and tax purposes. Marvin would still get paid every cent under his current contract. Nice try, though.

Marvin has it "made in the shade"...he will see every dime of his current contract...and if he does a little something in the next couple years he will get a downside contract for a million or so a year just for some defense. One of the luckiest guys in the world (NBA-wise) for income versus actual production.

Marvin will be one of the richest "busts" ever.

Edited by DJlaysitup

The way I see it is if we can get 20% more out of Marvin this year , if this back issue is true , and Teague plays like he did in the playoffs , that could make a world of difference for this team

Do not forget Joe was not healthy most of the season, Josh and Al were battling Knee/Back issues the last 20 games. Kirk had a few problems after coming here. That was one banged up group the last 20 games.

I don't think this team has been completely healthy for 5 or 6 years. This short layoff might be just what the doctor ordered.

Edited by thecampster

...I don't think this team has been completely healthy for 5 or 6 years. This short layoff might be just what the doctor ordered.

If I know Marvin I would expect the same type play as before...I seriously doubt that he will use his new "back" to take more chances and challenge in the paint. He will just be happy that he no longer has any physical pain and count his blessings and ride the train. Shoot a few jumpers - run around some - get an off-side rebound when it comes to him. Same old stuff.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

I don't think this team has been completely healthy for 5 or 6 years.

No team is ever completely healthy, but our team was as healthy as any team can hope to be during the 2009-10 season. You can't do better than that. Last year, not so much.