• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: New York Knicks Pursuing Jamal Crawford. Maybe S&T?

DJKadafi

One day after reaching a surprising agreement with center Tyson Chandler, the New York Knicks are attempting to acquire another notable free agent. The Knicks are zeroing in on Jamal Crawford and trying to add the veteran shooting guard through a sign-and-trade, according to sources close to the situation.The Knicks contacted Crawford’s camp on Friday and are trying to sell him on the situation. Crawford would have to take a significant pay cut to join the Knicks, but sources say he’s open to the idea.New York is over the cap and has no exception money. They also have few trade assets to offer. If the Hawks were willing to do a sign-and-trade with New York built around Renaldo Balkman’s $1.67 million deal, Bill Walker’s $916,000 deal and Toney Douglas’ $1.145 million deal, the Knicks would be sending out $3.73 million in salaries. The new collective bargaining agreement would allow New York to take back 150 percent plus or minus $100,000, which would give Crawford a starting salary of $5.6 million.Last season, Crawford averaged 14.2 points for the Atlanta Hawks. In 2010, Crawford won the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award. Mike Woodson, who is now an assistant coach with the Knicks, coached Crawford in Atlanta and the two are still very close.The Knicks are doing whatever they can to surround Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire with talent. The addition of Chandler was a start and they’d love to add Crawford to their core as well.http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-york-knicks-pursuing-jamal-crawford/I would love to have Bill Walker & Toney Douglas.

• Premium Member

Why do we do this? Ok, I like Tony Douglas a little.. but With a 3 for 1, we are going to have to cut some people.

Let's see:

Teague, Douglass, Hinrich (IL)

Joe, Tmac, Walker

Smoove, Marvin, Balkman, Sy

Horf, Radman, Rolle

Collins, Zaza, Benson

Who do we cut?

• Premium Member

Word is that Barea is signing with NYK... so Douglass conceivably could be available.But I agree... as currently proposed, this is practically a non-starter. Might've had a shot if they'd still had Turiaf to deal.And I checked on RealGM... they have no picks to deal for a few years.

Why do we do this? Ok, I like Tony Douglas a little.. but With a 3 for 1, we are going to have to cut some people.

Let's see:

Joe, Tmac, Walker

Horf, Radman, Rolle

Collins, Zaza, Benson

Who do we cut?

Well Hinrich being on IL would actually make it that no one has to be cut till he's off but the obvious candidates would be Rolle, Sy and Radman seeing as they are on unguaranteed deals.

Do not help out a fellow EC team unless we get something of worth back. Notice in all of these S&T deals for Craw. The only ones who benefit from those deals are Craw and the other team. Everytime it is the Hawks taking on scrubs in return. If the Hawks can get Douglas then do it. If all they can get is Balkman and Walker then say no.

Edited by Paladin

• Premium Member

Hollinger tweets the whole idea is ridiculous b/c he believe ASG won't take back anything that would edge them into the tax desert.I'm less certain that they won't do anything. First, b/c there's not the same high penalty for being just across the line. But second, I think they'd do it for a player who legitimately ratchets up the team's likelihood to get to a conference final. Not many of those guys are going to be coming back to you in such a trade, though.

Hollinger tweets the whole idea is ridiculous b/c he believe ASG won't take back anything that would edge them into the tax desert.I'm less certain that they won't do anything. First, b/c there's not the same high penalty for being just across the line. But second, I think they'd do it for a player who legitimately ratchets up the team's likelihood to get to a conference final. Not many of those guys are going to be coming back to you in such a trade, though.

I thought the penalty for going into LT was much worse now.

• Premium Member

I thought the penalty for going into LT was much worse now.

Gets worse beginning in two years in terms of the increased rates. And on the other side of the ledger, the previous benefit provided to non-paying teams to divide up the tax is now not as great.

Let's see:

Joe, Tmac, Walker

Horf, Radman, Rolle

Collins, Zaza, Benson

Who do we cut?

You cut the 2nd round scrubs Rolle, Benson, and Sy . . . at the most, you only keep one of them. Toney would be a real nice young and CHEAP addition here.

Then when the trade deadline comes, you use Hinrich's expiring 8 million to REALLY make a move at somebody. That's when Hinrich, combined with possibly another contract, could really get you a high quality player(s) in return.

Edited by northcyde

• Admin

The funny thing is Crawford will make that team worse...there will be no chemistry (too many guys want the ball) and you are pairing him with Bibby, Amare and Carmelo . Man Chandler has his work cut out for him as none of them play a lick of defense and they will be the worst defensive team in the league by far.

• Like 1

The funny thing is Crawford will make that team worse...there will be no chemistry (too many guys want the ball) and you are pairing him with Bibby, Amare and Carmelo . Man Chandler has his work cut out for him as none of them play a lick of defense and they will be the worst defensive team in the league by far.

Dantoni never did rely on defense to win games. I am inclined to think that the Knicks team with Crawford will be the number 3 seed behind the Bulls and Heat.....too much firepower.

Tis the Post...so uncap your salt shakers.

1.1 million is not a lot of money but isn't NYK over the cap. It would need more than TD and I don't NY has that. It would need Shumpert as well. This is likely false.