• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hollinger Predicts Hawks Will Miss the Playoffs

AHF

• Moderators

Not sold on Drummond, huh?

I could be but his 9.4 ppg 1:4 A/TO ratio, and 6.2 rpg haven't done it yet. You can't teach size and he has plenty to learn for skills so he could also be special. Of course, if he is a special true center that is also more valuable than anyone on our roster.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

He's not on a different level. I still think Horford can be a franchise player with the right PG.

Davis is on a different level from anyone on our team. Hopefully people recognize it now that they have had more time to watch him.

He's not on a different level. I still think Horford can be a franchise player with the right PG.

How not so? When did Horford ever win National Player of the Year and dominate defensively? Don't get me wrong, Horford is good but to say his collegiate career was on par to Anthony Davis is just wrong.

• Moderators

How not so? When did Horford ever win National Player of the Year and dominate defensively? Don't get me wrong, Horford is good but to say his collegiate career was on par to Anthony Davis is just wrong.

Bear in mind the original comments were made back in December and were never a comparison of their college careers but were a comparison of the guys as potential NBA stars.

Davis is going to have trouble scoring in the NBA and he's going to need to put on a lot of weight if he's going to handle playing C, which is where he'll probably be forced to play if he measures at least 6'9 without shoes. He could end up being better than I think but I see him having a Tyson Chandler like career and it took him a while to find his place in the NBA. If I had to choose between Davis and Horford I'd probably choose Horford since he's at least got the ability to score in the NBA and I have doubts about Davis' ability to do that.

• Moderators

Davis is going to have trouble scoring in the NBA and he's going to need to put on a lot of weight if he's going to handle playing C, which is where he'll probably be forced to play if he measures at least 6'9 without shoes. He could end up being better than I think but I see him having a Tyson Chandler like career and it took him a while to find his place in the NBA.If I had to choose between Davis and Horford I'd probably choose Horford since he's at least got the ability to score in the NBA and I have doubts about Davis' ability to do that.

I think he will easily exceed Chandler and you may be surprised by him in a few years. Davis has the raw ability to score but has more development to do since he has only played on the inside for two seasons.

I think he will easily exceed Chandler and you may be surprised by him in a few years. Davis has the raw ability to score but has more development to do since he has only played on the inside for two seasons.

It's possible and I REALLY like the kids personality and worth ethic but he's definitely raw as a scorer. He's also similar to what Marcus Camby was in college but Marcus stayed in school for 3 years and was a better scorer entering the NBA but he never became much offensively in the NBA. Interestingly Camby's best scoring season was his rookie year and then never really came close to matching it again. Of course he had a lot of health issues but they're both 6'10-6'11 220 lb players so there is reason enough to be concerned that Davis may have similar issues.

• Moderators

It's possible and I REALLY like the kids personality and worth ethic but he's definitely raw as a scorer. He's also similar to what Marcus Camby was in college but Marcus stayed in school for 3 years and was a better scorer entering the NBA but he never became much offensively in the NBA. Interestingly Camby's best scoring season was his rookie year and then never really came close to matching it again.

I doubt Camby was 6'2'' two years before enrolling in college but I get what you are saying. Davis has a solid jumper - it is the interior play that he needs to develop. Moreover, Camby was a 10 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 bpg guy his freshman year compared to Davis at 14 ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 bpg. Even though he had more talented teammates, Davis has demonstrated a lot more at the same age which generally projects to a higher ceiling for the future.As a freshman, Davis scored the most points of anyone on a UK team that was pretty talented offensively.

Of course he had a lot of health issues but they're both 6'10-6'11 220 lb players so there is reason enough to be concerned that Davis may have similar issues.

?? I'm not sure why both of them being similar height would indicate similar health issues. Health issues tend to be more specific to the individual and he isn't so tall that he projects into a high risk category (unlike Yao Ming, for example). I wouldn't predict the next prospect coming in looking like Amare would have similar health issues and wouldn't assume it for Davis either.

I doubt Camby was 6'2'' two years before enrolling in college but I get what you are saying. Davis has a solid jumper - it is the interior play that he needs to develop. Moreover, Camby was a 10 ppg, 6 rpg, 3 bpg guy his freshman year compared to Davis at 14 ppg, 10 rpg, and 5 bpg. Even though he had more talented teammates, Davis has demonstrated a lot more at the same age which generally projects to a higher ceiling for the future.As a freshman, Davis scored the most points of anyone on a UK team that was pretty talented offensively.

You're right that as Freshman Davis was better but I still think he could use another year of school to learn to score in the paint as you mentioned. I didn't realize that Davis was 6'2" only a few years ago, that's quite impressive!

?? I'm not sure why both of them being similar height would indicate similar health issues. Health issues tend to be more specific to the individual and he isn't so tall that he projects into a high risk category (unlike Yao Ming, for example). I wouldn't predict the next prospect coming in looking like Amare would have similar health issues and wouldn't assume it for Davis either.

It's not a guarantee that he'll have injury problems but there aren't a lot of guys who've been 6'10-6'11 220 lbs in the NBA who play in the paint who haven't had injury problems so I guess that's my point is that it seems like he's more likely to become injured being so light in the pants.

• Moderators

I didn't realize that Davis was 6'2" only a few years ago, that's quite impressive!

As a Junior in high school, he was a 6'2'' guard. You can see it in his comfort handling the ball and shooting from the perimeter but he is smart enough that he has dedicated himself to playing inside almost exclusively since coming to UK. When a guy has a 7'4'' wingspan, that is probably a good decision!

As a Junior in high school, he was a 6'2'' guard. You can see it in his comfort handling the ball and shooting from the perimeter but he is smart enough that he has dedicated himself to playing inside almost exclusively since coming to UK. When a guy has a 7'4'' wingspan, that is probably a good decision!

Let me duck my head so that I don't get hit with the hater insults that are sure to follow for that subtle jab at Josh...
  • Like 1

Guest Walter

Really, AHF? Another PF???

Anthony Davis either would mean trade JS or move him to Sf. I would move him to 3 unless we got Rondo. What am I talking about...we are NEVER getting Anthony Davis!W

I'll trade one of Horford or Smith for Davis. He can be a franchise player regardless of the PG.

Davis is on a different level from anyone on our team. Hopefully people recognize it now that they have had more time to watch him.

Dude, this was a late as hell post. Bulls**t to be honest. Davis improved greatly during the season. He was just a defensive player when I seen him in HS. He improved greatly. I think this is pretty low to do.

I'll trade one of Horford or Smith for Davis. He can be a franchise player regardless of the PG.Dude, this was a late as hell post. Bulls**t to be honest. Davis improved greatly during the season. He was just a defensive player when I seen him in HS. He improved greatly. I think this is pretty low to do.

What does "pretty low to do" mean?

So. Hollinger says Hawks can't make the playoffs?And remember, this was before we lost our all star center.This greatly increased our chances for ending up last.Now, if the Hawks fall out of the playoffs, AKA last year's Braves,we will all be as shocked as last season's Braves fans.That was a terrible blow and we haven't recovered yet.We're not winning all the time, but neither is our opponents.GO HAWKS!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

http://insider.espn....ected-standings

9. Atlanta Hawks (33-33)

http://espn.go.com/i...g/trans/atl.gif

The Hawks won 44 games and made the second round of the playoffs in 2010-11, but that's misleading. They gave up more points than they scored in the regular season, went 10-17 after the All-Star break, lost one of the top sixth men in free agency and didn't do much to replace him, and will be without Kirk Hinrich for nearly half the season.

Pressed face-first against the luxury tax thanks to the bad contracts they lavished on Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams, the Hawks were left to fill in around the edges with veteran retreads such as Tracy McGrady and Vladimir Radmanovic. These weren't bad pickups for the price, but they don't offset losing Crawford and Hinrich.

On the plus side, Jeff Teague takes over at the point after breaking out as a slashing, scoring guard in last season's playoffs, andAl Horford (25) and Josh Smith (26) provide a solid foundation as a frontcourt. Smith, however, is frustrated and spent the offseason angling for a trade.

Atlanta's bench looms as a major weakness; past editions of this team weren't deep, either, but Crawford and Zaza Pachulia often gave them an advantage against opposing second units. I can't see that happening with the current group, especially with McGrady likely to be the backup point guard until Hinrich returns. (Pape Sy, who has been talked up for this spot, has no chance of keeping it beyond the second quarter of the first game.)

As a result, this is going to be a harder slog for the Hawks than they might think, especially with a schedule that does a short-benched team few favors.

Unless they're blessed with outstanding health, they're in danger of falling out of the playoffs entirely. After three straight trips to the second round, that's going to be a jolt.

Posted ImagePosted Image

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Posted ImagePosted Image

~lw3

That is friggin hilarious and we did it without Al Horford plus many other injuries along the way. What's his excuse for being soooo wrong this time?

Say that reminds me. Yesterday Orlando and Atlanta were both 35-25 yet Orlando had clinched a playoff berth and we had not. Anyone know why? Am I just being dumb?