• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson vs. Luol Deng: Why can't JJ dominate this matchup?

hawks21

I remember in last season's playoffs when the Hawks went away from Jeff Teague in Game 5 at Chicago and JJ started dribbling to one side of the court and Luol Deng, if I am not mistaken had stripped JJ and it led to a basket and 4th quarter Bulls' explosion that broke open a close game.

JJ's lack of explosiveness hurts him against the Bulls and inability to blow by defenders and get to the rim and draw fouls is problematic.

Kevin Martin or a Corey Maggette would be better options than JJ in those situations.

Drew has to allow Teague more opportunities to beat his man off the dribble and finish at the basket... yes, Teague is tentative, but to beat the Bulls, this has to be done.

JJ hasn't shown he can consistently beat Luol Deng off-the dribble and Johnson has been rather pedestrian.

Once again, Deng got the best of JJ on a last second play that helped the Bulls win on Tuesday night. Overall, JJ was 3-for-17.

Rose is the key to the Bulls success, but Deng has had some big games at JJ's expense.

It will be interesting what JJ does against Deng in Atlanta.

Should Marvin WIlliams get more playing time if JJ continues to struggle this bad, because Deng has been a common denominator in the Bulls' recent success against Atlanta.

Edited by hawks21

I'm kind of surprised at JJ's non-dominance as of late. He seriously has the build of someone that would dominate the Bulls, I really don't think Deng or any other Bull should be able to shut him down the way they did last night

• Premium Member

Joe's advantage on most players is that he has the ability to use his power to get off floaters in the lane and he's a set shooter/jump shooter for the most part. Joe hasn't developed his post up Game against players his size or bigger. I don't know if that would work on Deng anyway. Deng is a natural defender, he has good size and strength, and he does a very good job of moving his feet and studying his opponents. Every good player has that one player that they just can't dominate. For Joe, it's Deng. For some reason, I don't have that same problem with Battier even though I consider Battier a better defender than Deng. It might be a matter of strength.

• Premium Member

"Power to get off floaters". No offense but I found that very funny early in the morning. I guess that's Joe in a nutshell, uses his power to get off finesse moves.

More correctly, he uses his power to get into the lane and get off floaters. If you notice what happens when Joe gets into the lane, 70% of the time, he's fouled. 15% of the time it's called. It takes a lot of power to get to your spot when you're lacking the speed to beat your man to the spot. Joe Johnson has a power finesse game (if you will). He has the ability to push his defender around the court like a rag doll and he can still got off a smoove silky shot. I would love it if Joe were more like Maggette and he could just get in the post and overpower players, but that's not his game yet.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

LOL @ Joe learning anything at this point of his career. What you see now is what you get. Joe is a streaky jump-shooter who is shooting a career low 40% FG.

Naw. I watched Jordan go from being a dunk guy to being a post up guy to being a three point guy. This happens all the time, players game changes with their ability. I think Joe will eventually be more Sf like and he will play post up with a lot of SGs on switches as his career continues.

I remember in last season's playoffs when the Hawks went away from Jeff Teague in Game 5 at Chicago and JJ started dribbling to one side of the court and Luol Deng, if I am not mistaken had stripped JJ and it led to a basket and 4th quarter Bulls' explosion that broke open a close game.

JJ's lack of explosiveness hurts him against the Bulls and inability to blow by defenders and get to the rim and draw fouls is problematic.

Kevin Martin or a Corey Maggette would be better options than JJ in those situations.

Drew has to allow Teague more opportunities to beat his man off the dribble and finish at the basket... yes, Teague is tentative, but to beat the Bulls, this has to be done.

JJ hasn't shown he can consistently beat Luol Deng off-the dribble and Johnson has been rather pedestrian.

Once again, Deng got the best of JJ on a last second play that helped the Bulls win on Tuesday night. Overall, JJ was 3-for-17.

Rose is the key to the Bulls success, but Deng has had some big games at JJ's expense.

It will be interesting what JJ does against Deng in Atlanta.

Should Marvin WIlliams get more playing time if JJ continues to struggle this bad, because Deng has been a common denominator in the Bulls' recent success against Atlanta.

That's the problem. Not only Joe's lack of explosiveness, but now his mostly broke jump shoot.

Naw. I watched Jordan go from being a dunk guy to being a post up guy to being a three point guy. This happens all the time, players game changes with their ability. I think Joe will eventually be more Sf like and he will play post up with a lot of SGs on switches as his career continues.

Don't bring up MJ when you talk about Joe. I've also seen many other players unable or unwilling to change their games with age.

• Moderators

Luol Deng is probably the best wing defender in the league. He was smarts, length, and athleticism. It's not just Joe who struggles against him. He was giving Kobe a hard time too..

Kobe did score 28 points on 23 FGA which is outstanding for him this year. He also got to the line 7 times to make sure he had some gimmes. All the really good scorers get that chunk of FTA to stack their line. I have yet to figure out what Kevin Martin has that Joe doesn't as far as their ability to draw fouls.

Kobe did score 28 points on 23 FGA which is outstanding for him this year. He also got to the line 7 times to make sure he had some gimmes. All the really good scorers get that chunk of FTA to stack their line. I have yet to figure out what Kevin Martin has that Joe doesn't as far as their ability to draw fouls.

Deng didn't check him that whole game. Brewer and Hamilton (especially) were getting killed. During their comeback run Deng was making it tough and came up with the block to seal the game.