• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin and T-Mac

• Premium Member

LD still doesn't have a good feel for all of his players especially Marvin...Its kinda hard not to notice that Marvin is shooting 47% from 3 point land but yet LD prefers T-Mac down the stretch even when T-Mac is giving absolutely nothing and Marvin is hitting his shots early and rebounding. He did the same thing with Crawford down the stretch in games and lost a lot of leads in the 4th. I feel for Marvin and its a testiment to his personality and determination to play through this sort of odd setup. But you know that it has to be affecting his play somewhat. Hopefully it is still a work in progress and things will improve.

2 reasons.

They both primarily play SF so it's hard to get them on at the same time.

And let's be honest, Teague is a deer in headlights in most 4th quarters so LD likes TMac to be a secondary playmaker to Joe allowing Teague to do what comes easy which is just score rather than worry about being a setup man.

It's not a coincidence that with Kirkland back and Teague injured that LD had Marv out there in the 4th and OT.

Starters should be:

Teague

Kirk

Joe

Smoove

Zaza

2nd unit should be:

Pargo

Green

Tmac

Marv/Vlad

Ivan/Pachulia/Collins

Allow the second unit to play through Marvin. Doubt Drew would do it because he's an self-absorbed a-hole.

This is one of the most "wtf" statements I've ever seen on this board. First off the offense would be awful running through Marvin and while Marvin could and would probably get more points from the 2nd unit he defers by nature and I guarantee he'd defer to Pargo and Green and probably even T-Mac.

And how exactly is LD an "self-absorbed a-hole"??

• Like 1

This is one of the most "wtf" statements I've ever seen on this board. First off the offense would be awful running through Marvin and while Marvin could and would probably get more points from the 2nd unit he defers by nature and I guarantee he'd defer to Pargo and Green and probably even T-Mac.

And how exactly is LD an "self-absorbed a-hole"??

Whoa!!! Pump your breaks my man!! What's the difference between kirk starting instead of coming off the bench. The reason why I proposed Marvin to come off the bench is to get him more offensive touches. Allow him to match up against PF so he can use his speed and handles as an advantage. What's wrong with that? Tell me what PF can guard Marvin off the dribble? Not many!! Using Marvin as a stretch 4 puts pressure on the defense because it forces his man out of the paint which allows McGrady the opportunity to post up and take advantage of smaller guards. And why should I explain my statement to you about Drew?! Who are you, his scalp massaging assistant.. Get a life man. Especially when you average a Wtf statement every 2.3 posts!

• Moderators

You are going to have to give some context or explanation on that bash on Drew's character. I get criticism of his coaching but that seems just off the reservation unless you have a personal connection to the guy.

• Like 2

Whoa!!! Pump your breaks my man!! What's the difference between kirk starting instead of coming off the bench. The reason why I proposed Marvin to come off the bench is to get him more offensive touches. Allow him to match up against PF so he can use his speed and handles as an advantage. What's wrong with that? Tell me what PF can guard Marvin off the dribble? Not many!! Using Marvin as a stretch 4 puts pressure on the defense because it forces his man out of the paint which allows McGrady the opportunity to post up and take advantage of smaller guards.

Earlier you said "Allow the second unit to play through Marvin" and that would mean using him like a Lebron or even JJ in that he'd have the ball in his hands making plays for himself and others. The guy who is probably the most clumsy player on the team. Brilliant! I have no problem bringing Marvin off the bench, except for the fact that we are routinely outrebounded and you want to make us even smaller and take one of our best rebounders out of the starting lineup. Again, brilliant! IF, and that's a big IF since it's not possible right now, we had a SF who could replace Marvin in the starting lineup without hurting our rebounding and size then I'm all for Marvin since I believe he'd be far more productive offensively off the bench, but again that's not happening since we have nobody to replace him.

And why should I explain my statement to you about Drew?! Who are you, his scalp massaging assistant.. Get a life man. Especially when you average a Wtf statement every 2.3 posts!

Exactly the type of mature response that I expected from you. But now you've sold me on how awful LD is so well done!

Earlier you said "Allow the second unit to play through Marvin" and that would mean using him like a Lebron or even JJ in that he'd have the ball in his hands making plays for himself and others. The guy who is probably the most clumsy player on the team. Brilliant! I have no problem bringing Marvin off the bench, except for the fact that we are routinely outrebounded and you want to make us even smaller and take one of our best rebounders out of the starting lineup. Again, brilliant! IF, and that's a big IF since it's not possible right now, we had a SF who could replace Marvin in the starting lineup without hurting our rebounding and size then I'm all for Marvin since I believe he'd be far more productive offensively off the bench, but again that's not happening since we have nobody to replace him.

Exactly the type of mature response that I expected from you. But now you've sold me on how awful LD is so well done!

So we would have a rebounding problem by sliding Joe to the SF spot?? LOL! Well, we were already having rebound problems in the last couple games. I don't really care what combination we use for the second unit but Marvin should be matched with a 4 to use his speed and quickness. And we've always been a small team even when Al was playing so its not anything new. What are we going to do, play Zaza 37+ minutes a games at the 5 spot? No! That would be tragic.

And to answer you're question of why i feel the way I do about LD.... He coaches good games against bad coaches but continuously gets out-coached against the better coaches. He's lazy with adjustments, and he continuously benches players that are having hot streaks I.e Willie Green, Marvin, even Vlad. I've watched too many games when he has sat hot players. Who does that?! Never saw any other coach do it except for Drew. Just my opinion through observation.

Marvin is a better rebounder than Joe and Joe is a better rebounder than Hinrich, so yes, it would hamper our rebounding even more so. There's also the problem of taking away Joe's size and strength advantage against other 2's. I don't think Teague and Hinrich should play together either. They both should have the ball in their hands and Teague doesn't do much without it. Plus I see Hinrich and T-Mac meshing very well together. So yeah, I think our lineups are fine.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Marvin had a good outing last game but he's too inconsistent whether he gets minutes or not. He started out the season well but kinda reverted back to the same ole Marv except for last game. LD seems to go off feel a lot and if Marvin isn't really bringing his A game, Tmac gets those minutes in the 4th quarter. I don't see anything wrong with that especially with Tmac being the playmaker he is with this team. As far as Marv and Tmac on the court at the same time, yes it could happen, but I don't see any added value in that lineup.

• Premium Member

Marvin had a good outing last game but he's too inconsistent whether he gets minutes or not. He started out the season well but kinda reverted back to the same ole Marv except for last game. LD seems to go off feel a lot and if Marvin isn't really bringing his A game, Tmac gets those minutes in the 4th quarter. I don't see anything wrong with that especially with Tmac being the playmaker he is with this team. As far as Marv and Tmac on the court at the same time, yes it could happen, but I don't see any added value in that lineup.

Some of yall act like he is the only inconsistant player on the team...An T-mac isn't the model of consistency himself. What I can say is that Marvin has the 3rd highest per amounst the healthy players and his minutes should reflect that. But some how, players having far worse games get equal or more minutes. This has to affect Marvin's game! He sees Joe or Josh going 1-9 while getting abused by their man in the 1st half and receiving encouragement from LD. Marvin on the other hand can miss 3-4 shots while shutting his man down and it still results in the horn sounding for T-Mac to come in. By the way, it was ankle injury that has slowed him over the last 2-3 week but he appears to be over it now and playing much better

• Like 1

Not sure if y'all realize this but Marvin was shooting 47% from 3 coming into tonight and he'll be even higher after this performance. It looks like he's finally figured out how to translate his pure shooting stroke into being a successful 3pt shooter.

Way to go Marvin!

Not sure if y'all realize this but Marvin was shooting 47% from 3 coming into tonight and he'll be even higher after this performance. It looks like he's finally figured out how to translate his pure shooting stroke into being a successful 3pt shooter.

Way to go Marvin!

If Marvin can hit the 3 like he is now and defend (a la Bruce Bowen or close)...I will be happy.

In aftergame interview Marvin said that shooting the 3 with Van Exel is now a part of his pregame routine.

That's excellent to hear! I'd say we're far enough into the season to believe this is what we will see for the remainder of the season.

And it must be nice to be able to see those interviews, considering for me that NBA LP cuts off the broadcast within 15 seconds of the final buzzer.

Reminds me of the insane streak he had to start the 2008 season when he first developed the 3ball, I wonder if the back is all the way back.

Difficult to determine if that was the main reason for the improvement this season but I'm sure it's a huge part of it. He's really come a long way from the guy who couldn't make a 3 to save his life 5-6 years ago.