• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tracy McGrady fumes over playing time

MoBetta

Yes I can. T-Mac was a big part of the reason why his team never had great records or went past the first round.

When you sign 2 max contract players that doesnt leave room for many other quality pieces so when one of those max contract players falls off the earth what can you do? Off the top of your head can you name the 2nd best player on those Orlando teams? Darrell Armstrong? A broke down Penny?

You cant ask for more than 25, 5, and 5. T-Mac gave you that numerous times in his career, JJ never has and never will.

Edited by the_sheff

When you sign 2 max contract players that doesnt leave room for many other quality pieces so when one of those max contract players falls off the earth what can you do? Off the top of your head can you name the 2nd best player on those Orlando teams? Darrell Armstrong? A broke down Penny?

You cant ask for more than 25, 5, and 5. T-Mac gave you that numerous times in his career, JJ never has and never will.

Joe not a #1 option type. He just doesn't have the scoring ability. No one is saying Joe>>>T-Mac from an ability or talent perspective. But T-Mac is a major reason why his teams never achieved what they were capable of. T-Mac is like Terrell Owens in that way.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Joe not a #1 option type. He just doesn't have the scoring ability. No one is saying Joe>>>T-Mac from an ability or talent perspective. But T-Mac is a major reason why his teams never achieved what they were capable of. T-Mac is like Terrell Owens in that way.

So in the seasons he put up 28+ points, 5 assists, and 6 rebounds a game he was the reason the didnt team didnt achieve more? You think he should have put up 40 a game?

I think you should look at that Orlando roster real quick.

Edited by the_sheff

So in the seasons he put up 28+ points, 5 assists, and 6 rebounds a game he was the reason the didnt team didnt achieve more? You think he should have put up 40 a game?

I think you should look at that Orlando roster real quick.

He wasn't as impactful as his stats. See Kevin Love.

Damn.. Ive never seen anyone so one sided against a player. TMAC was a superstar, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. TMAC prime >>>> Joe prime w/o question.. Yall say hes not a team player and all that noise.. Ever since he came back from injury and went to detroit he was nothing but a team player. For god sake he played PG for them and distributed the ball great and was a pass first player last year. But it must be his fault Detroit sucked so bad according to you. I would have taken Tmac in his prime over any player on our team right now, even if winning a playoff series was in question.

You dont think Love is impactful on his team?!? Hes the best PF in the league. Without question.

• Like 1

wait someone said TMAC was never a superstar!!!!

lol obviously someone wasn't alive circa 2003

yeah its stupid.. thats like sayin lebron aint no superstar cause he dont got a ring.. same with dwight..

must be trippin

• Premium Member

I can't believe anyone would say TMac wasn't a superstar. He was considered the best all around player in the ENTIRE league in his prime. He was a great offensive player and a great defensive player. That tripe about his team not making it past the first round is exactly that. Look at his career playoff numbers, they absolutely speak for themselves. Yet another example of people trying to blame the INDIVIDUAL for a TEAM game.

u have no idea at all what you're talking about. the posts in this thread just made me smh. TMac was beast in the early 2000s, best in the biz. I mean when you're playing with guys like Rod Strickland, Tyronn Lue, Pat Garrity, get rid of a young Mike Miller, etc what can u do. they were drafting guys by the name of Reece Gaines and Jerryl Sasser lol
  • Like 1

u have no idea at all what you're talking about. the posts in this thread just made me smh. TMac was beast in the early 2000s, best in the biz. I mean when you're playing with guys like Rod Strickland, Tyronn Lue, Pat Garrity, get rid of a young Mike Miller, etc what can u do. they were drafting guys by the name of Reece Gaines and Jerryl Sasser lol

Hey I remember many here, myself included, who wanted Gaines. But yeah he never really had a quality healthy Robin to pair with. Tmac was absolutely a superstar and it's debatable who was better between he and Kobe.

I never had he wasn’t any good. He was never a true superstar. He was a great scorer who played defense when he wanted to, had attitude issues, and didn’t do anything off the ball on offense. He never won for that reason. Lebron is not comparable. Lebron single handedly lead a team to 66 wins and the NBA Finals. You want to say Lebron has poor fundamentals or isn’t clutch, fine. But T-Mac was never a true superstar. He was like what VC was to me. Take it how you want. People see the talent and think he’s this and that but talent isn’t everything in terms of a Basketball player. Kevin Love example was used to show that stats can be overrated in place of impact. Stat wise Kevin Love is a superstar and a top 5 player. Impact wise, I don’t even think he’s as impactful as Rubio. You don't have to like and could care less if you do. There is a reason why he never won a playoff series in the East in a weak conference where a lot of teams had weak rosters and with a very good roster in Houston. He just wasn't that great. You knew he couldn't play without the ball and you knew he wouldn't play every possession hard. I could care less about what fans or ESPN pundits say, the tape never lies in these types of situations. T-Mac was never a true superstar.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Moderators

Line me up for the loon bin, because I agree with nbasuperstar on this. If we want to use "Superstar" to describe people like Vince Carter then T-Mac was a superstar.

I want to use "superstar" to describe people like in their prime Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, etc. who are so good on both sides of the floor and fit into a team structure well enough to be championship caliber with decent pieces around them. T-Mac was a superstar scorer but that was the elite part of his game. His defense and playmaking were not that great. If he would have focused mentally on those aspects of his game they could have been great, but he didn't have that level of dedication (unlike Kobe).

T-Mac reminds me of Allen Iverson who I likewise think was overrated based on volume of shots, etc. When you handle the ball that much, your assists, etc. look good (think Stephon Marbury) and when you combine that with being an elite scorer then your numbers are sparkling but a guy like Bill Russell is about 10x more valuable even though his numbers will never look that much better.

Toronto went 41-41 McGrady's last year there. They lost him basically for nothing and went 47-35 the next season.

McGrady's last Magic team went 21-61. They lost him for not much and improved 15 games, to 36-46. (McGrady was at his peak this season, leading the league in scoring at 28 ppg and played [for him] a healthy 67 games).

McGrady's last peak year in Houston the Rockets won 51 games (2006-07 - averaged 25 ppg and started 71 games). The next season he slipped and they improved to 55 wins. The next season he only played 35 games and averaged a mere 15ppg and they won 53 games.

He wasn't a superstar at his peak in my book.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2