• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Dwight Goes West...

lethalweapon3

If Dwight Howard Goes West...  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators

We know what great utility we got out of Jason Collins last year. And of course, "stopper" is always a bit overplayed, as 27 points and 15 rebounds per game in the playoffs on 63% shooting is considered "stopping" anybody only in the context in which the Hawks won that 2011 series.

But if Dwight heads to a Western Conference opponent, does Jason Collins still have usefulness on this particular roster? Would he still be necessary against an Andrew Bynum or Andris Biedrins (if either were traded to Orlando AND if the Magic hung on to a middle-tier playoff spot)? Would he play a critical role against the Tyson Chandlers and Roy Hibberts of the world?

Should the Hawks strive to acquire an upgrade over Collins (production-wise) if Dwight crosses the Mississippi before the deadline? Or is Dampier going to become that upgrade? (Not asking for trade ideas, just whether it's worth the bother at this stage).

~lw3

If Dwight goes west, who comes back east? This ain't no one way street.

Dwight doesn't just get up and move west. There must be a trade, whether

it's a two team trade or several teams together making it happen.

If Dwight goes west, then who comes back east? If more than two teams

are involved, do the Hawks want in on all the action? Why or why not?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

If Dwight goes west, who comes back east? This ain't no one way street.

Dwight doesn't just get up and move west. There must be a trade, whether

it's a two team trade or several teams together making it happen.

If Dwight goes west, then who comes back east? If more than two teams

are involved, do the Hawks want in on all the action? Why or why not?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwight could sign with a team in the west as a FA in the offseason as long as that team is far enough under the cap.

• Moderators

Dwight could sign with a team in the west as a FA in the offseason as long as that team is far enough under the cap.

For example, Dallas could sign both Dwight and Deron Williams this offseason and keep Dirk. That is actually their plan.

For example, Dallas could sign both Dwight and Deron Williams this offseason and keep Dirk. That is actually their plan.

I thought I read that they could sign either of them, not both. I'm still not sure how they'd do either since they have $54 in committed salaries for next year, assuming that Sham is accurate.

• Moderators

I thought I read that they could sign either of them, not both. I'm still not sure how they'd do either since they have $54 in committed salaries for next year, assuming that Sham is accurate.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7622306/dallas-mavericks-new-jersey-nets-hope-unite-dwight-howard-deron-williams

There are rumors swirling that both Howard and Williams will land in Big D in what would be the most ballyhooed free-agent double-dip since LeBron James and Chris Bosh joinedDwyane Wade in South Beach. Some suggest Williams is headed home no matter what.

It's going to take a lot of creative accounting for the Mavs to pull it off and according to their fans, the ability to get this done is by dumping Marion's contract with the ever so lovely Rodrigue Beaubois being the get for teams because just about any team will take on that contract just for a shot at him........

waiving Odom's and Carter's unguaranteed deal

Amnestying Heywood.

It's a plan but it's a shaky one to free up a 2max cap slot.

It's going to take a lot of creative accounting for the Mavs to pull it off and according to their fans, the ability to get this done is by dumping Marion's contract with the ever so lovely Rodrigue Beaubois being the get for teams because just about any team will take on that contract just for a shot at him........

Amnestying Heywood.

Man can you imagine having an owner(s) who would be willing to waive/amnesty high priced players? If they put together another super team I think I'd probably done with the NBA.

• Moderators

Amnestying Heywood.

They only have to do those things if both guys commit, though. If they talk to Deron and Howard and they aren't both on board they can just sign one of them without having to jump through all those hoops.

I think it is a solid progressive plan -

if both, then X.

if one, then Y.

if neither, still a playoff team with cap flexibility.

• Moderators

All the offseason scenarios sound plausible, but my curiosity is specific to this season, as this team (With Apologies to Jim Mora) heads into a playoff picture where there may not be a Dwight Howard standing in the midst of an Eastern Conference series. Does JaCo still have a useful role if it becomes likely there is not a D12 to contend with? And if not, should he be an instrumental consideration in any deals we consider before the Ides of March?

~lw3

Man can you imagine having an owner(s) who would be willing to waive/amnesty high priced players? If they put together another super team I think I'd probably done with the NBA.

Howard, Deron, Dirk.......I think that would be as talented a three the NBA has seen since Boston and the Lakeshow were battling it out.

Edited by Buzzard