Jay Walker on Bill Shanks Radio Show

phoostal

You can listen to the entire interview on the peachtree hoops site. It's about 13 minutes.

The one thing he touched on was that the Hawks if they do make any trades it will be in a cost cutting measure. Meaning not looking to get anything of significance in return. Kirk to LA for trade exception and draft pick. Marvin for Sessions for cap relief. That is all he could see the team doing for the deadline. That has to get you real excited as a Hawks fan (sarcastic).

Next he said that if he had to guess that Larry Drew would be back next year for the one simple fact that they don't want to pay for a better a coach. They will stick with the status quo with Drew and Sund.

This leads me to say that ASG has to go.

We can come up with all the trade scenarios we want, all the potential free agents to sign, and some good coaches to go after. However, none of it matters because ASG doesn't care. They are proving it by what they are doing at the deadline and how they are going about their business for the future.

The draft picks will allow to fill out the bench cheaper than signing free agents. Drew is the cheapest coach in the league and Sund is a puppet.

Walker goes on to say that Sund and Drew, due to the fact they are both in their last year of their contracts will not blow the team up or bench players that deserve to be benched. They will go with what they already know that gets them into to the playoffs to save their own jobs.

Terrible way to run a team. Only looking out for themselves instead of the team. Yet, this is the culture that the ASG breeds.

How I pray for an ownership change that could lead this organization into the elite.

P

• Like 3

• Premium Member

How long have I been saying this? The A$G is hands down the worst sports ownership I've ever seen in any sport. These clowns already betrayed Atlanta by stealing the Thrashers and people expect them to do anything of note with the Hawks? C'mon!

As jason said on the show they will simply try to rehire drew and sund because they are dirt cheap. The only trades they are likely to make are ones to dump salary. Anyone expecting that clown car of owners to do anything to actually help this team is simply fooling themselves.

We as fans deserve better but we will never have that until that pony show is gone.

• Like 2

The thing you have to look at too is even if the Hawks trade Kirk for the TPE AND Marvin for Sessions, that still gives the Hawks $57,186,097 committed towards salaries for next season and only Ramon Sessions, Jeff Teague, Joe Johnson, Al Horford, and Zaza Pachulia under contract. They are dangerously close (actually currently over) the LT threshold now and will be well above next season. I could see them doing these types of moves and then moving either Al or Josh in the offseason (most likely Josh since Al's value would be low coming off injury and Josh will also be an expiring deal.

The deals they do now not only need to be done to affect the future payroll, but must be done in a way to keep this team a solid team in the Eastern Conference.

As individuals, many times people trade for or buy a new car with very little

down and forever to pay for it. This is just how it works for some people.

A $22,000.00 auto on the showroom floor and it's worth $19,000.00 when

they drive it off the lot. Problem is, it's financed for $21,500.00 for 60 months

and you have to add the interest to the $21,500.00 so they owe a bunch

of money on that new set of wheels. But, they have a nice, new car!!

The Atlanta Hawks, as a team, are in this same situation. They have some

great players under contract. Great, but overpriced. They can't sell for what

their contract calls for and they can't get any other players because all their

money is already tied up in what they have.

Atlanta is not the only team with this problem. Check around. We find teams

with overpriced players begging someone to take them off their hands.

You've probably heard this story:

A man was walking down the street when he spotted a little boy with a small puppy and

a sighn, "Puppy for sale." Trying to boost the small boy's confidence, the man told him,

"You need to have a High price to impress people with the value of your puppy."

The next day, he past by and saw the sign, "Puppy for sale - $1000.00"

I've overdone it, the man thought. The next day, the sign was marked -"Sold!"

"My goodness, you didn't sell that puppy for $1000.00, did you?"

"No sir. I swapped him for two $500.00 kittens!"

The only solution for our Hawks is to swap our overpriced players for

someone's else's overpriced players.

As someone has said, "Oh, what a tangled web we weave - -"

GO HAWKS

• Moderators

Who is Jay Walker ? Is he somehow related to the hawks organisation ?

To Hawks brass, he was The Insider Fan Whose Name Shall Not Be Mentioned, once he began to speak to much truth, if I recall during pre-draft workouts. They did him almost as bad as the Clippers just did Darrell.

http://hawksquawk.ne...the-big-screen/

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

If all this is true and they are looking to cut cost vs trading for talent, for me its a good move to gather some picks for this draft. Lets face it, they are not going to attract anyone significant so long as they remain determined to stay under the LT.

Only one way to build a contender and stay under the cap that I know of, take your shots in the draft. Lets have a fire sale and just maybe we get lucky with a draft pick or two.

The thing you have to look at too is even if the Hawks trade Kirk for the TPE AND Marvin for Sessions, that still gives the Hawks $57,186,097 committed towards salaries for next season and only Ramon Sessions, Jeff Teague, Joe Johnson, Al Horford, and Zaza Pachulia under contract. They are dangerously close (actually currently over) the LT threshold now and will be well above next season. I could see them doing these types of moves and then moving either Al or Josh in the offseason (most likely Josh since Al's value would be low coming off injury and Josh will also be an expiring deal.

The deals they do now not only need to be done to affect the future payroll, but must be done in a way to keep this team a solid team in the Eastern Conference.

That would include Josh.

Amnest Joe and the figures drop to $37,500,000. That is enough move to sign any FA including D12. Someone will certainly sign Joe for atleast 10 maybe 15mil,

If all this is true and they are looking to cut cost vs trading for talent, for me its a good move to gather some picks for this draft. Lets face it, they are not going to attract anyone significant so long as they remain determined to stay under the LT.

Only one way to build a contender and stay under the cap that I know of, take your shots in the draft. Lets have a fire sale and just maybe we get lucky with a draft pick or two.er

Moving Marvin for Sessions and getting a TPE, pick and Morris for Hinrich is a stroke of near genius. This is a deep draft and we can pick up 2. This time maybe keep the assets. The amnesty of Joe is neccessary to menuever forward. Sit Al, resign the bench and draftees, sign D12 with Joe's capspace. Easy.

• Moderators

Who is Jay Walker ? Is he somehow related to the hawks organisation ?

He is the most reliable source with information on what goes on in the organization that I have ever seen. His falling out with the team was when he was critical of a few prospects the team worked out before the draft. Agents went ballistic, the Hawks organization came down on Jay, and he greatly reduced the amount of involvement he had with the media and with message boards like the Squawk and RealGM.

The Hawks did themselves a great disservice getting rid of Jay as a fan source for their hardcore fans and did Jay a personal disservice.

Amnest Joe and

You can stop there. The Hawks aren't willing to pay Joe to play somewhere else ala Chauncey Billups.

Moving Marvin for Sessions and getting a TPE, pick and Morris for Hinrich is a stroke of near genius. This is a deep draft and we can pick up 2. This time maybe keep the assets. The amnesty of Joe is neccessary to menuever forward. Sit Al, resign the bench and draftees, sign D12 with Joe's capspace. Easy.

We are not going to clear cap by using a amnesty on JJ. He can go to LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Miami etc....try and win a ring or two playing for a buck while we pay him 20 million minus the 1 dollar lmao.

Everything else in your post I am ok with. Keep JJ, Horf, and Smoove for now. Gather some picks for this years draft.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

We are not going to clear cap by using a amnesty on JJ. He can go to LA, NY, Chicago, Boston, Dallas etc....try and win a ring or two playing for a buck while we pay him 20 million minus the 1 dollar lmao.

Actually, he would go to whichever of the teams that are under the cap bid the most money on him. That means we are best served to amnesty him early in the offseason when people have money and we can get the most competitive bid for him. He would never pass the bidding process without someone taking him so teams like LA, NY, etc. that are over the cap wouldn't have a chance for him at all.

Since that team would still get him a a relatively small salary and the ASG would be stuck paying him to play for someone else, I think it is a fantasy to talk about JJ being amnestied. Remember that the ASG won't even fire their coaches because they don't want to pay their coaches not to work and those guys are the cheapest in the entire league while JJ makes 12x what Woodon and Drew have.

Edited by AHF

Actually, he would go to whichever of the teams that are under the cap bid the most money on him. That means we are best served to amnesty him early in the offseason when people have money and we can get the most competitive bid for him. He would never pass the bidding process without someone taking him so teams like LA, NY, etc. that are over the cap wouldn't have a chance for him at all.

Since that team would still get him a a relatively small salary and the ASG would be stuck paying him to play for someone else, I think it is a fantasy to talk about JJ being amnestied. Remember that the ASG won't even fire their coaches because they don't want to pay their coaches not to work and those guys are the cheapest in the entire league while JJ makes 12x what Woodon and Drew have.

I forgot it is a little like waivers. Should have remembered from the Chauncey signing but had a brain fart.

I don't think it is fantasy, it's logic and chance. Joe would without a doubt attract 10 mil. on the open bid if amnested. with the hawks on the hook with ten is akin to perhaps 5 as tax (luxury tax tag). Freeing the 19.7 mil on cap to be used is the chip. So by this and filling the cap the hawks do spend ten mil for the ability to fortify the roster and fill the Philips. Filling the Philips, contending and strengthening the brand while more exposure globally. A narrow scope see's this as fantasy.

Edited by Swatguy

I don't think it is fantasy, it's logic and chance. Joe would without a doubt attract 10 mil. on the open bid if amnested. with the hawks on the hook with ten is akin to perhaps 5 as tax (luxury tax tag). Freeing the 19.7 mil on cap to be used is the chip. So by this and filling the cap the hawks do spend ten mil for the ability to fortify the roster and fill the Philips. Filling the Philips, contending and strengthening the brand while more exposure globally. A narrow scope see's this as fantasy.

It is fantasy if you think Howard is going to play here after we release our best player and best guard. It is fantasy if you think this ownership group is going to pay 30 mill a season to get one player ( Howard 20 and JJ 10 so we can get Howard ). Furthermore we would be over 55 million and still need to sign like 8 players lmao. I think you have the ASG confused with Mark Cuban. You should take something for that...

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

I agree with AHF entirely on this talk about amensty clausing Joe. It just won't happen. There is no chance this ownership would pay Joe's salary to any degree for nothing and then be under pressure to fill up his salary cap space on the roster with other players. These guys wouldn't even fire Woody twice when BK went to them to fire him because they refused to pay his contract plus pay for another head coach.

I agree with AHF entirely on this talk about amensty clausing Joe. It just won't happen. There is no chance this ownership would pay Joe's salary to any degree for nothing and then be under pressure to fill up his salary cap space on the roster with other players. These guys wouldn't even fire Woody twice when BK went to them to fire him because they refused to pay his contract plus pay for another head coach.

No doubt. As long as ASG has this team they will stay under the luxury and like you and AHF say they are way to strapped for cash to pay anyone, coach, trainer, player etc to not come to work.

• Premium Member

The thing you have to look at too is even if the Hawks trade Kirk for the TPE AND Marvin for Sessions, that still gives the Hawks $57,186,097 committed towards salaries for next season and only Ramon Sessions,

That's one of my points. Which makes me say, they should probably look at moving Marvin and Kirk for a guy like Kaman. It would help in the short run and in the long run, he comes off the books next year with a savings of about 14 Million. I'd try to trade for him and Bellinelli. Then we have negotiation room with Josh.