• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith tells Hawks he wants trade [according to people with knowledge of Smith's thinking]

GameTime

Only way I would do that is if they gave us picks (1sts and 2nds) as well. Josh Smith is a freak of nature in terms of ability. David Lee is not even close to Smoove defensively. We have no other shotblockers.

MoBetta must be doing backflips now.

Defense and shot blocking are two completely different things. Dennis Rodman was never much of a shot blocker but he was one of the best defensive PF's in the history of the league. Josh is a tremendous weak-side help defender and shot blocker but he's an average positional defender who lacks quickness to guard SF's on the perimeter and the size to defend physical PF's in the paint.

Joe???

Deng and Iggy ... Josh has a lot of respect for Joe from what I recall reading and hearing from him.

This team will get worse without Smith. He's been the best defensive and exciting player since he's been here. I don't blame Josh for wanting out I remember they had a Big campaign get AL to the all-star but nothing for Smith. I can only imagine if Josh Smith played with a PG like Deron Williams or Paul how could he would really be.

Only way I would do that is if they gave us picks (1sts and 2nds) as well. Josh Smith is a freak of nature in terms of ability. David Lee is not even close to Smoove defensively. We have no other shotblockers.

MoBetta must be doing backflips now.

No Im not doing backflips. I would rather Josh play to his strengths than trade him but if he doesn't wanna do that then we have no choice but to trade him.

Edited by MoBetta

Josh does have a point that the franchise should have done more to promote him as an All-Star the past 3 years. They made a pretty strong push for Al to be an All-Star 3 years ago and I think even created a website for him and some YouTube videos.

Ah so he does have some credence about that subject. Again Sund and the ASG chose their man long ago with Joe.

Maybe this is why Josh has been playing so geat lately. Trying to "showcase" his talent so another team will want him. Sure are a lot of rumors lately. Josh wants a trade. Marvin wants a trade. Hawks will waive McGrady. GS wants Joe for Monta. Marvin for Sessions. Kirk to LA. I say, these are the best of times.

Edited by Randy

Defense and shot blocking are two completely different things.

I disagree. Positional defense and forcing teams to change their shots because Josh is gonna block it are two different things. They are both defense. I also think Josh is a lot better positionally than people give him credit. His perimeter D is much improved from last year.

• Like 1

what does Josh want?!! I think the truth is he is enjoying being the man. He realizes however that when Al and Joe come back that goes away. Josh wants freedom to do whatever he wants.

Take that statement away and agree with you. I think Josh enjoys being the man but he knows when Joe and Horford comes back the offense will go thru them and I think he desperately wants to show he can be "the man" so far when joe been out it hasn't been bad.

• Premium Member

I disagree. Positional defense and forcing teams to change their shots because Josh is gonna block it are two different things. They are both defense. I also think Josh is a lot better positionally than people give him credit. His perimeter D is much improved from last year.

I agree with both points. Josh is a great shot blocker but OK as an overall defender. Still that shot blocking threat is a huge advantage for the Hawks team defense.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Hello,

Coupled with the most absurd officiating I have watched perhaps ever last night when the Ref's were truly a 6th Man on the Court and huge reason for the Heat winning, this is terrible news.

I realize that many here have wanted him gone for some time, but I really think his absence is going to make us a Lottery Team.

I can somewhat understand, when he was a RFA, ASG waited for another Team to dictate his value before signing him, he damn well deserved to be an All Star, and gets crushed for any mistake he makes.

His is a talent that is exceedingly rare in the NBA. Even worse, he is an Atlanta Native that wanted to be here until the level of disrespect reached a critical mass.

I know the perception here is that many Smoove fans only post here when he is doing well or so forth. However, I am a Moderator on 2 AV Forums and rarely have the time to Post here. Regardless, I am truly saddened to read this and agree that MC does not Report things like this unless there is validity to the rumor.

Cheers,

J

Well if Josh doesn't want to play for the Hawks get rid of him. Either you are down with the team or your not. So trade him. Yes I would like him to stay but if you don't be here then we will get someone who does want to be here.

• Premium Member

This is the A$G striking again. A feeble ownership that already betrayed its fans and now has lied to the players about bringing in more players and paying the luxury tax to compete for a title. This is the best time to trade Josh while he still has a year left on his deal on a reasonable salary. We need lottery picks and hopefully get someone to swallow a poison pill in Marvin's contract.

Yeah Josh's positional D looked terrific against David West the other night...

• Like 1

Yeah Josh's positional D looked terrific against David West the other night...

Not fair, he wasn't ever spectacular at it but the lost weight does make him more easily overpowered by certain players. Where he's improved tremendously over the years is that he doesn't gamble on reacharound steals which just ushered guys to a layup and he doesn't bite on pumps. He even added the wrinkle where he'll try to flop for a charge. No Chuck Hayes but he's decent if he can deny position to past 10 feet because of his recovery speed.

What does that say about this franchise, if a guy that was born and raised here doesn't wanna stay with the home town team. Can't say I blame him mediocre crowd support, bad owners, team handicapped by Joe's contract. Lets just trade him before the deadline and get it over with, don't let this linger on.

Not fair, he wasn't ever spectacular at it but the lost weight does make him more easily overpowered by certain players. Where he's improved tremendously over the years is that he doesn't gamble on reacharound steals which just ushered guys to a layup and he doesn't bite on pumps. He even added the wrinkle where he'll try to flop for a charge. No Chuck Hayes but he's decent if he can deny position to past 10 feet because of his recovery speed.

He lost weight so people couldn't blow past him anymore but now he doesn't have enough in the pants to keep from being pushed under the rim. I know he's a much better positional defender than he used to be, but he's a far cry from being a good one.

Still though, I would absolutely miss Josh Smith if he were traded and I do hope that we can hang onto him.

What does that say about this franchise, if a guy that was born and raised here doesn't wanna stay with the home town team. Can't say I blame him mediocre crowd support, bad owners, team handicapped by Joe's contract. Lets just trade him before the deadline and get it over with, don't let this linger on.

Honestly I think this is another of those things where we need to hear it come from Josh to give it any real credibility. Either that or a complete lack of denial from Josh on the matter would probably give it enough credibility.

*cough* Lebron *cough* *cough*