• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh reportedly involved in 3 team trade? [Min / Atl / Orl - D12 not involved]

Pmeehan

Was listening to 680 the fan and heard there is some buzz of this on twitter right now, but i do not see anything around on the web about it yet to verify its existance.

http://hawksquawk.net/community/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=542409

And awayyyyyyyy we go:

@stevekylerNBA

Howard sources confirm WFTV re[port as legit... he told team this afternoon... word is Magic involved in 3 team deal involving Josh Smith

Smith deal would be with Minnesota... Timberwolves exploring several scenarios... orlando is just one possible deal involving Mike Beasley

Now this alleged deal is not to bring Dwight to ATL, but either to bring Smoove to the Magic Kingdom, or bring pieces of equivalent value while shipping Smoove to Minnesota. The "WFTV report" Kyler references suggests Dwight has agreed to stay in Orlando for at least another season.

http://www.wftv.com/...12-13-se/nLSmb/

Might as well let this have it's own thread since it's pretty big news and I don't want to see it buried in the other thread.

lol, you already know this rumor is false. Orlando has nothing to offer outside of Dwight. Minny is not trading Love or Rubio. Keep it moving.

• Premium Member

nbasuperstar already said but it bears repeating: orlando has zero to offer us (or anyone else) other than Howard. Minny has nothing besides Love and Ruibio besides an expiring in Beasley that a contender may give up a late first rounder for but that's it. The Hawks need a lottery pick or an established center or point guard for Josh.

I honestly think it might be, The word is that Dwight is planning on staying for the final year of his contract. Bringing in players to keep him there is high on their list, and since Atlanta doesn't want any of the guys on Orlando, they would need a third team. I just don't like the idea of trading with a team in our own conference, especially when it makes them better.

Minnesota has a lot of young talent that they could move. We could pick up 2-3 quality players on good contracts and the ASG wouldn't have to worry about giving Josh a raise next year. Not that I hope this happens, but I could absolutely see a deal with Minnesota that doesn't send out Love or Rubio.

My guess is that it would start with Derrick Williams and probably include either Darko or Pekovic along with either Wayne Ellington, Martell Webster or Wesley Johnson.

If it's a 3 team deal then I'd guess Beasley would be going to Orlando and the Magic would send JRich to Minnesota.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7z5gmzs

Williams / Pekovic / Ellington to ATL

Smith / JRich to MINN

Beasley to ORL

For Atlanta it gets us another C who is putting up very solid numbers, plus a PF we supposedly liked in the draft who is putting up decent numbers on a cheap contract and then a filler SG and it trims $2 million off of our payroll to get us under the luxury tax.

• Moderators

Copying from the other thread, Hoopsworld's Kyler clarifies that the 3-team deal would indeed send Smoove to Minny... and NOT to Orlando.

The WFTV report he cited, backed up recently by (Wojnarowski @ Yahoo) indicated Dwight has agreed to "opt-in" on his contract through 2012-13, keeping him in O-town one more season.

http://www.wftv.com/...12-13-se/nLSmb/

Woj's recent tweets suggested D12's met with the team this afternoon to let them know he's "all-in" for this year, and discussed what each player must do for them to make noise in the postseason. Also, if Woj's notes about the Portland-LAL-Minny deal (w/ Crawford) are legit, Beasley would not be part of any ATL-Minny-ORL deal.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

would we take Williams and Beasley for Josh?

As terrible as that sounds, I wouldn't put it past ASG but the issue then is what do Minny get from Orlando which is then another issue. The problem is, in any Orlando deal, the other team loses massively unless D12 is in it.

I like Williams, I think he's a combo forward who can be a very good PnR PF once he gets more comfortble and gets PT at PF since Love was there but the problem is Atlanta doesn't have a PnR PG or a Center. This would be bad as well. Not to mention, he's a movement type like Horf with no PG.

I wouldn't mind landing Rubio at all which isn't going to happen. Rubio is the player we need to make things work. We should just keep Smith till the draft.

Minnesota has a lot of young talent that they could move. We could pick up 2-3 quality players on good contracts and the ASG wouldn't have to worry about giving Josh a raise next year. Not that I hope this happens, but I could absolutely see a deal with Minnesota that doesn't send out Love or Rubio.

My guess is that it would start with Derrick Williams and probably include either Darko or Pekovic along with either Wayne Ellington, Martell Webster or Wesley Johnson.

If it's a 3 team deal then I'd guess Beasley would be going to Orlando and the Magic would send JRich to Minnesota.

http://games.espn.go...tradeId=7z5gmzs

Williams / Pekovic / Ellington to ATL

Smith / JRich to MINN

Beasley to ORL

For Atlanta it gets us another C who is putting up very solid numbers, plus a PF we supposedly liked in the draft who is putting up decent numbers on a cheap contract and then a filler SG and it trims $2 million off of our payroll to get us under the luxury tax.

Okay, where to begin.

In this deal, Atlanta gives up 1, takes back 3 players. In order to do this, we would have to waive 2 players. Our roster is at 15 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Additionally, Orlando is giving up Jason Richardson and getting back Michael Beasley which isn't much of a good fit.

But assuming this is correct and let's assume the players waived are Stack (or Green), Collins since this move effectively replaces them. You are giving up Josh with the intent of starting Pekovic and moving Al to the 4. This is acceptable except Al isn't healthy. So this is a move for next year. The biggest benefit in this trade is the Hawks shed some salary getting them under the Luxury tax threshold and making dealing next year easier.

Okay, where to begin.

In this deal, Atlanta gives up 1, takes back 3 players. In order to do this, we would have to waive 2 players. Our roster is at 15 (correct me if I'm wrong).

Additionally, Orlando is giving up Jason Richardson and getting back Michael Beasley which isn't much of a good fit.

But assuming this is correct and let's assume the players waived are Stack (or Green), Collins since this move effectively replaces them. You are giving up Josh with the intent of starting Pekovic and moving Al to the 4. This is acceptable except Al isn't healthy. So this is a move for next year. The biggest benefit in this trade is the Hawks shed some salary getting them under the Luxury tax threshold and making dealing next year easier.

Also, a viable rumor at this point is a 3 way with LA/Portland/Minny with Crawford and Beasley as the focal points.

Okay, where to begin.

Ellington could very well go to Orlando, this was just an idea from me, but yes we could drop Collins and T-Mac or Stack and it wouldn't be an issue.

Peck would start at the 5 and Williams at the 4, whom I'm guessing you're forgetting. Next year we'd possibly have a decision to make but we could cross that bridge when we get there.

Orlando has been said to be looking to move JRich and it's rumored that they're interested in Beasley.