• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Philips Arena

arenafanatic

I was at the game last night to review Philips Arena for my site. I was all around very impressed with the venue. Only one thing I would change that stuck out to me. I wanted to post yesterday, but i hadn't been approved yet. I have an idea of what to put in my things to do around Philips arena and places to eat, but its always good to get a locals point of view. Feel free to post any suggestion. Thanks!

Phillips is nice, and the seats are all good (least all the ones I've been in.) The food available sucks and is very pricey. However, for eating before the game the nearby food court is great. I actually like Gwinnett Arena much better. The parking is much better (and free) and the food selection is way better and lots cheaper. However, getting to a game (I go to see the Gladiators once in a while) takes forever going on 285 and 85 N. I can get to Phillips much faster on a weeknight.

• Moderators

For gameday grub, I usually enjoy Max's Pizzeria on Marietta (next door to Stats). For those with more time to kill and a can do a short drive, No Mas! Cantina in Castleberry Hill works well too. Back downtown, Slice Pizza and Sidebar in Fairlie-Poplar are decent for quick bites as well. I'm too used to the restaurants within "CNNlandia" as workday lunch options to be fair to them at all (Prime Meridian upstairs is pretty cool if you're attired appropriately).~lw3

Phillips is nice, and the seats are all good (least all the ones I've been in.) The food available sucks and is very pricey. However, for eating before the game the nearby food court is great.I actually like Gwinnett Arena much better. The parking is much better (and free) and the food selection is way better and lots cheaper. However, getting to a game (I go to see the Gladiators once in a while) takes forever going on 285 and 85 N. I can get to Phillips much faster on a weeknight.

I'm 15 minutes away from the GA, so going there for events is significantly easier than going to Phillips.I can go down 400 to N. Point. The problem with N Point is that you have to transfer off the train at Lindbergh. On winter nights this really sucks. Or when you are coming home from the airport and have to move the bags an extra time. But that is a MARTA issue and not an arena one. Point is, getting downtown for a game is a real chore in Atlanta. That goes for Braves, Hawks, and Falcons.

Thanks for all the responses. I ate at Grindhouse Burgers and it was delicious. I didn't park i just walked from the hotel. Thanks for all the parking suggestions. From what I saw parking prices weren't to bad compared to other places I've been.

I'm 15 minutes away from the GA, so going there for events is significantly easier than going to Phillips.I can go down 400 to N. Point. The problem with N Point is that you have to transfer off the train at Lindbergh. On winter nights this really sucks. Or when you are coming home from the airport and have to move the bags an extra time. But that is a MARTA issue and not an arena one.Point is, getting downtown for a game is a real chore in Atlanta. That goes for Braves, Hawks, and Falcons.

I live directly west of Atlanta so it's pretty easy for me. Just hop on I-20, get off at Spring St, turn left on Marietta St, and I'm there.

I would suggest marta for the experience. Before and after the game you hear nothing but hawks talk from little old ladies to white guys with purple hair. its a unique experience to say the least and they know their stuff. Kinda of like Hawksquawk on a train track. We are not alone brothers there are other fans out there.

• Premium Member

The experience would be 10 times better if they had smoking and BYOB sections.

Everytime I hear people discussing the hawks I just automatically assume they are members of the squawk and I try to figure out who they are by what player they happen to be talking about....lol nobody else does this? No? Posted Image ...ok

I do a little work in Phillips and the surrounding area. There are actually a lot of great food options. Between CNN Center, Stats/Rise/Max's/Beer Garden and some hotel based restaurants there's actually plenty of places to eat. There's even the Johnny Rockets that few people realize is over there.If I were to change anything it would be structural and add a couple more escalators to the upper levels.