• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Know Your Role

Jody23

• Premium Member

Last nights game was definitely a disappointing loss and hopefully this team can regroup for Friday and hopefully Josh will be okay. However, there's a negative trend that continues from the regular season that's costing this team opportunities. The trend of not giving the ball to the point guard. We've seen it out of the teams' top two players (Joe and Josh to a greater extent) and it needs to stop, but I'm sure it won't. In general, when Teague gets the ball in transition, he usually causes good things to happen and the Celtics really can't defend him in transition. All season long, I thought Teague was deprived of multiple opportunites to improve and become more comfortable and accurate in running the team in transition because Joe and Josh seem fixated many times on trying to do it themselves which many times resulted in poor outcomes. What seems strange to me is that when Teague gets the ball and makes a few good plays in transition, they stop giving him the ball to push the tempo even though that works to the teams advantage. It's almost like Joe and Josh say "okay that's enough, I've got to get mine. I've got to be the leader of this". Longterm, they have got to let Teague run the team and get out of his way. Yes, he's got some work to do and improvements to make (he's two years behind). But, he'll never get where he could be if his teammates, namely Joe and Josh, don't get out of his way and know their role.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I'm not critiquing Jeff for whatever few assists he had yesterday. You can't make the passes when you don't get the ball. Even when Teague has the ball and gets it to a teammate, it's as if getting the ball back out to Teague is one of the seven deadly sins or something.~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah - makes you think that adding an "elite point guard" may not be that useful - those guys want the ball. Josh seems to have a problem with that, and Joe seems to want to handle the ball a lot too.

Exactly. When Teague pushes the ball in transition, good things happen for the team, not just him. He's been doing a solid job of finding Joe and Josh for high percentage looks when he pushes the ball. Why Joe and Josh can't see this is beyond me.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm not critiquing Jeff for whatever few assists he had yesterday. You can't make the passes when you don't get the ball. Even when Teague has the ball and gets it to a teammate, it's as if getting the ball back out to Teague is one of the seven deadly sins or something.~lw3

From what I see, his lower assist numbers are partly related to the fact that he doesn't get the ball any where near as much as he needs to. Joe and Josh see to that. But even with that being the case all year, he still led the team in assists. That tells me something about his potential to be a productive point guard in th NBA.
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Know your role and shut your hole!http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETShkg-65fY

Lol, yeah I did think Rock when I started this thread. Maybe if we got him to talk to Joe and Josh, it would straighten them out. Lol.

Lol, yeah I did think Rock when I started this thread. Maybe if we got him to talk to Joe and Josh, it would straighten them out. Lol.

I haven't thought much about the WWE/F in probably 10 years or more since I stopped watching it but your title immediately brought me back. And YES lets bring in the Rock as a personal motivator for these guys, I like it!

Add Kirk to the list of guys who have the ball too much instead of Teague. One play in the 4th Q, nobody but Kirk touched the ball and all it resulted in was a badly missed shot attempt.

They are coached to initiate the break themsleves.I like Drew but I do not buy into this theory......especially considering our lack of finishers on the break. When Josh bring the ball up on the break he is essentially eliminating our only finisher from the play....that being himself.Hinrich and JJ immediately run to spot up, most of the time, since they struggle filling the lane and finishing.It worked much better when we had Horford since both Horford and Smith have the ability to initiate the break, while the other can fill the lane and finish.

Edited by coachx

Add Kirk to the list of guys who have the ball too much instead of Teague. One play in the 4th Q, nobody but Kirk touched the ball and all it resulted in was a badly missed shot attempt.

The whole 4th quarter went like that, no matter who had the ball for us. Their perimeter defense was suffocating and we had no one to throw the ball to down low.

• Premium Member

Anybody notice late in the 4th Teague was just bringing it up and then stopping outside of the arc just to hand it off to Joe for an iso? The offense was painful to watch at that point since that played right into Boston's hands. Boston knows JJ pounds the ball too much at times and they just hound him until he hoists up a bad shot or passes it to a teammate with a few seconds on the clock. Why not let Teague create like was doing in the 1st half? He kept Boston's defense off balance when he was penetrating.

I haven't thought much about the WWE/F in probably 10 years or more since I stopped watching it but your title immediately brought me back. And YES lets bring in the Rock as a personal motivator for these guys, I like it!

You probably miss the Rock coming back last year then. I started watching it again when he came back and disses John Cena. Pretty funny exchanges between the two of them.