• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA Officials Speak Out On Foul

APE

Guest Walter

Let me just say, I was extremely disappointed in Larry Drew's response. This was a playoff deciding moment and he wasn't all over those refs?!? I don't get it. I understand that the Hawks may not get the "respect" that certain other teams get. Therefore the coach has to at least TRY and demand it. I don't think Larry is good or bad, but I do think he is a bad fit for this team and city. We needed a hell of a lot more from him at that moment and he gave nothing. W

• Like 2

I will not respect this organization if they do not protest this. I would make this public as much as I could. Where is Gearon at? Here is time to run your mouth.I dont believe they are going to let this slide. This is terrible if they do.This is the type of stuff you get fined for right here. I would be on never outlet putting this out to the masses.

Edited by tonegully
  • Like 1

I will not respect this organization if they do not protest this. I would make this public as much as I could. Where is Gearon at? Here is time to run your mouth.I dont believe they are going to let this slide. This is terrible if they do.This is the type of stuff you get fined for right here. I would be on never outlet putting this out to the masses.

Yeah, I think we need to be screaming about this. Not that it will change anything, but to at least be vocal about it. What do you think would happen if this had happened to the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, or Heat? You think they would rollover. What about Dallas? You think Cuban would shrug this off? Exactly. I guarantee that 80-90% of fans out there have no idea how bad we got robbed at the end of that game. If we scream loud enough then at least they will know.

• Moderators

It's not ESPN I should but shaking my fist at, but good on them to at least try to hide their favoritism. The original article had a headline and a lead-in link that read: "NBA says foul called incorrectly against Celtics."

While technically correct, somebody gave them the hint that the issue wasn't really the Celtics'. Now it says, "Foul cost Hawks a free throw."

Had they done that the first time, it would be on a plain-jane ESPN page, and not ESPNBoston, where our Sam Adams-laden friends would stand like minutemen ready to dominate the fan reaction, and where the article could be previewed with rotating video of all-things Celtics.

Also, the new read still minimizes the screwjob that topped all the others the refs offered up in that game, but whatevs.

~lw3

• Moderators

Let me just say, I was extremely disappointed in Larry Drew's response. This was a playoff deciding moment and he wasn't all over those refs?!? I don't get it. I understand that the Hawks may not get the "respect" that certain other teams get. Therefore the coach has to at least TRY and demand it. I don't think Larry is good or bad, but I do think he is a bad fit for this team and city. We needed a hell of a lot more from him at that moment and he gave nothing. W

Walter (and others) saved me the trouble. LD's passive approach allowed the refs to come to the conclusion they reached without much deliberation at all.~lw3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

LD should have got a tech EARLY in this game, to let the refs know that he wasn't putting up with the BS. How many moving screens by Garnett did LD just sit there and watch? How many hacks going against the Hawks for Celtics flailing arms drives to the hoops vs Teague or JJ getting mugged? LD just sits there and watches it. That isn't the only reason I want LD gone, I think his rotations suck. No more all bench players coming in, always leave a key guy in with the subs! thats what Doc and all the good coaches do. He needs to go and this team needs a coach that has taken a team to at least a Conference Final as well as a GM who has led a franchise to do the same!!!

• Like 1

Why would they announce this now? I was yelling at my tv the entire time. HORFORD IS BEING HELD. They stop the game for an obvious penalty but they don't call it? Are you kidding me. Is this pee wee league. The refs, the commish are a joke. Drew should have raised hell, done something. He just accepted it. This has my blood boiling and will for a while. Wow, just wow.

• Premium Member

I'm pretty sure a coach like JVG would have had a ton more than just one. That is a major problem for a coach to be passive, all the good ones are actively working the officials.

Before you finished that thought I was thinking jeez maybe we outta just make Josh the coach LOL

That would be something worth paying for. Josh running the point and throwing alley oops to Al from half court. It would put the Generals out of business.

So what can we do about it? Anyone knows how to get one of those Facebook petitions going? If so, do it. I would love to prove that there are real fans of an Atlanta sports team.

Guest Walter

LD should have got a tech EARLY in this game, to let the refs know that he wasn't putting up with the BS. How many moving screens by Garnett did LD just sit there and watch? How many hacks going against the Hawks for Celtics flailing arms drives to the hoops vs Teague or JJ getting mugged? LD just sits there and watches it.

If ever there was a game when the coach has to step in for his players early it was this one. After Gearon showed his ass and lit a fire under KG's, Drew HAD to be a fighter for his players! I agree, he should have brought another level of intensity, both toward's the refs and players. The lack of fight shown on the last call was pitiful and IMO unforgivable. W

• Moderators

I will say in Drew's defense that he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't there. If he screams and has a fit over the bad call what will happen? The officials will give him one or two T's and send the Celtics to the line for free throws and they won't change the bad call anyway. The story will be about him pitching a fit when the Hawks still had a chance to win or tie the game and they just threw it away.Earlier in the game I get, but I wouldn't have gone over the top when we still had a chance to win and the refs were giving us the screw job on suspect T's all game long.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

LD doesn't get techs because he can't afford any associated fines with it. He's literally the lowest paid coach in the NBA which is the only reason why he got the job. Our glorious ownership at its finest.

• Premium Member

I just watched the clip again, but I advise you to watch video with caution because viewing this will lead to increased blood pressure for Hawks fans:And I must say the whistle is blown well before Marvin makes a move to pass the ball in (unless the guy edited the video). It is also very evident Horford was held immediately. It is also annoying because I forgot how wide open Smoove was for a lay in (and probably a foul on KG) as Marv passed him the ball.

The foul was called because Smoove was about to score easily... This is the worst part of the play... Horf cleared out the lane for Josh and Josh was about to finish and Josh would have finished strong...possible AND 1