• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A real honest Joe Johnson question

thecampster

I am guessing he was disagreeing with your statement thatunder the notion that passing the ball to Smoove ended up with Smoove generating about 5 assists per game.sI think you guys may be talking about two different things (JJ not getting assists because Josh doesn't drill the passes he receives from Joe and Josh doing a good job generating assists after he gets the ball).

I think you are right. My point is simple, our leading scorer, Josh, shooting almost .80 below his season average could not help anyones assist stats. I don't see how anyone could argue against that point. And I do think this is what Doc game planned for. If Smoove would have shot at least .450 during this series, Doc probably would have doubled JJ less.... Edited by Buzzard

JJ weighs about 235. That is a PF for us but most teams its a SF at best...

Joe is listed at 240 and he looks every bit of it. Its obvious he's alot bigger and slower then he was when he first came here, and for somebody that is supposed to be a 2 guard thats huge. He's gonna have the height advantage regardless, but when he already lacks elite athleticism he doesn't need to take away any of the little speed he has.

Joe is listed at 240 and he looks every bit of it. Its obvious he's alot bigger and slower then he was when he first came here, and for somebody that is supposed to be a 2 guard thats huge. He's gonna have the height advantage regardless, but when he already lacks elite athleticism he doesn't need to take away any of the little speed he has.

Joe is more skilled now then he used to be.

Joe is more skilled now then he used to be.

then why is his numbers on a steady decline and his game is so inconsistent now? He used to be a consistent 3 point shooter, now we're lucky if he can make 3 out of 10 wide open shots. Joe is a SG that has 15-20 pounds on most SF in the league while not being as tall as many of them Edited by Cwell

Joe's numbers have been in steady decline for years now. The celtics don't comprise the whole league. Joe's overall ability, especially his tenacity and toughness have left him. Sure he's going to receive the most doubles but it's up to Joe to at least move the ball quickly to make them pay for doubling. It's sad but Joe just doesn't have the heart anymore to grind out a consistent and respectable offensive threat.

His numbers have been in decline ONLY because he's not getting as many shots. This past year was actually his 2nd most efficient year offensively as a Hawk. But when you only take 15.5 shots a game, your production will decline.Now his playoff production is a different story. Dude simply isn't getting it done on a nightly basis in the playoffs. Can't shoot sub 40% FG and expect people to pat him on the bat, or feel sorry for him.
  • Like 1

Joe not a #1 option, we took away the a #2 option in Jamal away as well as Al being hurt. Joe needs another running mate in the back-court.

then why is his numbers on a steady decline and his game is so inconsistent now? He used to be a consistent 3 point shooter, now we're lucky if he can make 3 out of 10 wide open shots. Joe is a SG that has 15-20 pounds on most SF in the league while not being as tall as many of them

39% 3 point shooting is real good

The bottom line to me is that in the playoffs the game slows down tremendously. Teams are forced to play in the halfcourt more. We are not built well as a halfcourt team because we don't have a playmaker at the PG position. If Teague was a deadeye shooter that would help a ton but he isn't. There were a ton of times Joe passed out of a double team toa wiiiiiiide open Teague and Teague was scared to take the shot or hesitated and threw himself out of rhythm. Josh was the other option and he just isn't very efficient shooting from 16-23ft. If Joe was passing to say a wide open Chalmers are some PG who would consistently knock down that wide open 3. The doubles. Wouldn't come so quick. Either that or Smoove playing in the Hipost or Lowpost as opposed to spotting him.

His numbers have been in decline ONLY because he's not getting as many shots. This past year was actually his 2nd most efficient year offensively as a Hawk. But when you only take 15.5 shots a game, your production will decline.Now his playoff production is a different story. Dude simply isn't getting it done on a nightly basis in the playoffs. Can't shoot sub 40% FG and expect people to pat him on the bat, or feel sorry for him.

Where the hell you been at, North! Always enjoyed the spirited Joe debates.

I don't know what to say about Joe. He's become increasingly streaky and has played pretty bad in his last 2 playoff appearances. He had some real good looks in that last game and they weren't falling for him. I've been saying this for a while, but I agree with cwell. He needs to lose about 10-15 lbs. He's gotten too big and that size is not going to help him as much as losing it will.

I like Joe but his weight is not the problem, it's his heart. Then again Tim Duncam lost about 25 lbs for this season to combat his knee problem and he does look spry so losing some pounds can't hurt Joe.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I like Joe at his weight. It's not in his mindset to be a light, agile, fast player. His weight allows him to take smaller guards in the post. He is very selective when he does this, but when he does, he makes the other team adjust because he does repeat it until it's stopped. On the flip side, if your name isn't Melo, there are no guards or smaller forwards who can post him successfully. As much as I bash the dude, I do admire the way he uses his weight and leverage defensively. And aside from the tendinitis, he's been very durable. I always say if I was an NBA player and could choose a body type, it'll be a combo of the three 6'7ish, 240ish guys: Joe's body type, Melo's athleticism and strength, and Pierces' endurance in the clutch.

I like Joe at his weight. It's not in his mindset to be a light, agile, fast player. His weight allows him to take smaller guards in the post. He is very selective when he does this, but when he does, he makes the other team adjust because he does repeat it until it's stopped. On the flip side, if your name isn't Melo, there are no guards or smaller forwards who can post him successfully. As much as I bash the dude, I do admire the way he uses his weight and leverage defensively. And aside from the tendinitis, he's been very durable. I always say if I was an NBA player and could choose a body type, it'll be a combo of the three 6'7ish, 240ish guys: Joe's body type, Melo's athleticism and strength, and Pierces' endurance in the clutch.

u don't need to be frickin 240 to back down smallers guards. Most 2 guards dont even weigh over 215. Melo is 230 himself. Joe is too slow, he can't even run a break as a guard. Joe is a 6'8 SG. He would be able to do the same thing at 225-230 while being quicker doing it

• Premium Member

Joe is at the point now where he needs to be converted full time to small forward like the Celtics did with Pierce. He's always been selective to a fault in the past about driving to the rim and this year he regressed even more in that category. Let him take his jumpers and post up and go for that floater that is usually money in the paint.

• Like 1

Joe is at the point now where he needs to be converted full time to small forward like the Celtics did with Pierce. He's always been selective to a fault in the past about driving to the rim and this year he regressed even more in that category. Let him take his jumpers and post up and go for that floater that is usually money in the paint.

I like what JJ did at SF this season.