• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

To move the ASG

Swatguy

Most minds are set in the thought that the ASG must be removed in order to have a contending team. I'm not sure if they want to sell totally or just most (50% or better). So suppose what are the things neccessary for this team to be sold? I believe ASG will need to eliminate as much debt as possible to have the most attractive product to sell. I would instruct Sund to move Joe and Marvin for expirings and or movable salaries ASAP. A new management may mean moving burdensome assets more than anything else.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I've been trying to dig up information on ASG's combined net worth but can not find anything. For all we know these dudes have billions. Think about it, Ted Turner's little boy probably carries around 100 stacks as strip club money.Seriously though, I think we all should relax with the assumption until we can confirm these guys are truly NBA poor.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I've been trying to dig up information on ASG's combined net worth but can not find anything. For all we know these dudes have billions. Think about it, Ted Turner's little boy probably carries around 100 stacks as strip club money.Seriously though, I think we all should relax with the assumption until we can confirm these guys are truly NBA poor.

My opinion isn't based on their net worth. It is based on their disfunctional management of the Hawks and their historically bad management of the Thrashers.
  • Like 3

Let's not forget that the Hawks have one of the smallest scouting departments in the NBA.The other issue is that the ASG just can't figure how to get out of their own way. Gearron is awful at marketing the team. He comes off as sounding like a spited child instead of a thoughtful and resourceful businessman.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I doubt that they have billions, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in 9 investors, several of whom were from out of town.

Well we know Aurthur Blank is a billionaire and he has investors. Sometimes it's just a matter of spreading the risk. Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

We have all seen they have been willing to spend money (even though in some cases not wisely) on the players (and at least up to the luxury tax).If the owners hire the right management and invest money in front office personnel (scouts, player development coaches, etc), a marketing department and then just be quiet and allow them to do what they hired them to do they will be better off.

• Moderators

Well we know Aurthur Blank is a billionaire and he has investors. Sometimes it's just a matter of spreading the risk.

Lots of ownerships have multiple minority investors. It is unusual to have different voices with decision-making power. Owning 51% of the team with 49% worth of minority investors is very different than owning 33 1/3% of the team with others owning the other 66 2/3%. I think it is fair to assume there is a financial driver behind the rationale to give up majority control to a group of other people.
  • Like 1

Belkin was the majority owner, and these morons weren't doing a good job even when he was part of the ownership.This is the most important thread of the off-season. Hopefully the Hawks have a new solo owner this time next year.I'd even settle for Madea at this point.

Belkin was the majority owner, and these morons weren't doing a good job even when he was part of the ownership.This is the most important thread of the off-season. Hopefully the Hawks have a new solo owner this time next year.I'd even settle for Madea at this point.

Tyler probably got the money too. Back to my premise. We are like a Calipari recruit, one and done. ASG wants to sell, Josh, Sund and LD have one year on thir deals. A move of Marvin and the inevitable amnest of Joe. We seem to be headed for new ownership and a rebuilding team (save Al). Only moving Joe and Marvin Now will prevent rebuiling in 2013-2014.

• Moderators

Bellini never was close to the majority owner. He didn't contribute close to 50% of the capital and had a 1/3 minority voting right.He only thought he should be the equivalent of a majority owner since he was team governor and he lost the litigation to try to get his wishful thinking enforced.
  • Like 1

One of the two biggest reason why ASG cant get the Hawks sold: Their Debts and who wants them.Like Memphis, NO, Charlotte, Philly and Brooklyn (NJ) debts doesnt even compare to what the Hawks have. It is very toxic when you deal with stuff like that. Also, most of the people that is wants to buy the team is the same ones that would move the team in a heartbeat to somewhere else (St. Louis, Anaheim, Las Vegas), We dont have any local billionaire that wants this team, Mr. Blank would be a good choice but he is working a new stadium for the Falcons. At the end of the day, until somebody steps up and buy this team and keep this team here, the team isnt going to be sold.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Most minds are set in the thought that the ASG must be removed in order to have a contending team. I'm not sure if they want to sell totally or just most (50% or better). So suppose what are the things neccessary for this team to be sold? I believe ASG will need to eliminate as much debt as possible to have the most attractive product to sell. I would instruct Sund to move Joe and Marvin for expirings and or movable salaries ASAP. A new management may mean moving burdensome assets more than anything else.

I don't think you need a firesale to sell the team. A prospective owner has to see the profitability of the Hawks. It's very simple. We have a potentially large Market, we have a team that has been in the playoffs for the last six years. We are not in the LT and we have a 1 paper town. IF the new owner can influence the news paper and the radio people... and then make some good moves, he can make this team over and not have to do a firesale.

we are worst financially ran team in the league statistically . According to forbes we have a 90 percent debt to value ratio :rofl: and lost 14.7 million dollars last year :rofl: My god that is horrible.Looking at those numbers anyone else thinking we wont even offer smoove an extension??

I don't think you need a firesale to sell the team. A prospective owner has to see the profitability of the Hawks. It's very simple. We have a potentially large Market, we have a team that has been in the playoffs for the last six years. We are not in the LT and we have a 1 paper town. IF the new owner can influence the news paper and the radio people... and then make some good moves, he can make this team over and not have to do a firesale.

Firesale, hmm maybe. I know that they need a clean sweep from the top but from the bottom (players), it determine if those moves would keep the Hawks out of the playoffs.But let me added this on, and this is important. Now that Memphis is off the table and any team wont be moved to Anahaim(Good News, Sacto fans but Seattle is lurking), there isnt too many other teams that is for sell, so that means that potential buyers is going to try to pay more to get it done and that is bad news. Edited by NekiEcko

Atlanta needs to know their personnel. They have talent but being as dumb as some blog posters is the reason why we are the Hawks. I like what Sund says but he needs to get what we need. If you trade Josh. You have to get a PnR playmaking PG and a true center. No other way around it.

we are worst financially ran team in the league statistically . According to forbes we have a 90 percent debt to value ratio Posted Image and lost 14.7 million dollars last year Posted Image My god that is horrible.

Looking at those numbers anyone else thinking we wont even offer smoove an extension??

I don't believe that report is 100% truthful. I don't think that a single owner actually loses money on a team. What I think is that they "lose" money compared to projected earnings/profits. This is the reason that owners will not open their books up to the NBAPA.

The bottom line is that ASG should've never owned the team,.The NBA allowed for backdoor dealings, and this City is paying for it. If anyone should be happy, it's David McDavid. He made millions through lawsuits after the fact.

• Moderators

I don't believe that report is 100% truthful. I don't think that a single owner actually loses money on a team. What I think is that they "lose" money compared to projected earnings/profits. This is the reason that owners will not open their books up to the NBAPA.

I absolutely believe that teams have operating and net income losses and, in fact, those losses are reported to the government and have been reported publicly.

During the last negotiations, the NBA gave the NBAPA the audited financial reports for all thirty teams. The NFL offered to turn them over to a third party on a team-by-team basis and to the union on a consolidated basis:

In NFL negotiations, NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Pash outlined what the NFL offered the union before it decertified on March 11.

“We did offer to release five years of individual club-by-club financial documents to a mutually acceptable third party to review, analyze and report on those documents,” Pash said. “We also offered to give the union aggregate profit data for the 32 clubs as a whole so they could see how the profitability has changed over the years. We offered substantial financial disclosures and the union chose not to take it.”

Bellini never was close to the majority owner. He didn't contribute close to 50% of the capital and had a 1/3 minority voting right.

He only thought he should be the equivalent of a majority owner since he was team governor and he lost the litigation to try to get his wishful thinking enforced.

It's too bad he wasn't the majority owner when they were voting on the Joe Johnson trade Posted Image