• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2012 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft

AHF

post-5-0-62767500-1343249381_thumb.jpgThis is what the Dolfan Dynasty are looking at salary wise. Note that I'm guessing on the salaries for Austin Rivers as neither Hoopshype nor Sham has them listed, so I'm using the salary for John Henson, which Hoopshype does list, for his salaries and expect that they'll be fairly close since they were only 4 picks apart. I'm also guessing on the Jeremy Lin amount but it should be very close to accurate.We're actually in pretty good shape this year and have an early termination option on Marion for 2013-2014, which would get us down to $55 million. Assuming that we'd have a higher cap and tax amount due to a more star oriented team, that would mean we'd possibly have enough room to add a max player to our roster in 2013-2014.

• Moderators

@ AHF . . . even you have to admit that if you did have salary constraints in this process, that this would be a little more of a challenge to construct the type of team that you want. It would create more realistic teams as well.

It doesn't make it any easier or harder. It does change the parameters from "put together the best team on the floor" to "manage the cap and get the best team on the floor." I didn't come into the draft intending to get stud veterans but that is were the basketball value lay. Of course, it would be different if you were taking salaries into account. In that case, all the guys on rookie deals would have gone earlier. The teams wouldn't have been any more realistic, though. The reason the teams are stacked is because we don't have as many people drafting as teams in the NBA.

Let's say you had a "Soft" Salary Cap, triggered @ 60 million . . . meaning that once a player obtains someone that puts them over the 60 million mark, the following occurs: a) a player can only choose one MLE player ( making between 5 - 6 million ), then b) a player can only choose one player making the Bi-Level ( making between 2 - 3 million ), then c) only rookie minimum and vet minimum guys can be added.

Call me crazy, but I thought it was more interesting for guys to take viable players in the late rounds of the draft than to pass on Chris Kaman in order to draft Jason Collins because Collins come cheaper. Again, the focus of this exercise was on basketball. That is both because I thought it was more fun and because it simplifies the evaluation of teams and you don't have to spend time arguing: Team A: "Team B, your team drafted James Harden but that is a bad pick because he is going to be too expensive for you to resign so all you are getting is a one year rental." Team B: "No, he is a good pick because I am going to sign and trade him for someone else's lottery pick next year or I will dump another high priced player to clear cap room to resign him so he is a good pick." Team C: "You are wrong, Team B. In this league, no one is going to trade you a low salary player for that high priced player you think you will move so you really just got a rental with Harden both because the high priced player isn't worth cheap talent and because no other team is far enough under the cap next year that they can absorb the extra salary. Since you can't trade him and get a salary close enough to match his new deal, you are stuck losing him in a year." Team D: "I would consider dealing some cheaper talent after next season in a S&T for Harden but it depends on what else is offered and what I'd have to give up." ... etc. Then you can get even farther removed if someone drafts along the lines of a Miami Heat / Atlanta Hawks, etc. philosophy where draft Dwayne Wade or some other attractive player and a bunch of expiring contract guys so Wade can recruit stud FAs away from other teams. That could work in a world with salary constraints and real life influences, but seems impossible to evaluate here. Etc. Now, there is nothing wrong with doing a draft with salary constraints and I would definitely participate if someone wanted to do that. I just think it adds too much ambiguity to the debate for this type of exercise. It is similar to ranking the best players in the NBA based on their age and basketball skills rather than ranking them based on their contracts. I find the discussion about Joe Johnson's basketball skills to be more fun than the conversation about his contract, but there is certainly a place for both. Edited by AHF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My top pick, Blake Griffin is averaging 19/9 with a PER of 23.3 while my 2nd pick, Greg Monroe is averaging 16/10 with a PER of 19.8. My 3rd round pick Danny Granger has not played this year, costing me an average of 19/5 with a PER of 18.7 from last year. My best value pick so far has been either Tiago Splitter in the 8th with 11/6 and a PER of 20 or Shawn Marion in the 11th with a 12/8 and a PER of 17.2.

Using EWA (46) * .7 my team came out to 32.2 wins in 52 games and that's with a 0 from Granger and a -3.1 from Austin Rivers, so I'm feeling pretty good about my team overall.

Re-shuffling my lineup based on EWA here's my roster:

PG - Brandon Jennings (5.3) / Jeremy Lin (3.4)

SG - Danny Green (2.4) / Tony Allen (1.2) / Brandon Roy (-0.1) / Austin Rivers (-3.1)

SF - Shawn Marion (4.5) / Danny Granger (0 - Injured)

PF - Blake Griffin (10.1) / Kenneth Faried (6.7) / John Henson (1.3)

C - Greg Monroe (8.2) / Tiago Splitter (6.1)

The vast majority of my success has come from my front court, with a fairly disappointing back court. Once Granger comes back he should be a tremendous boost, but I'm going to need a lot more production from my sad SG group and either Lin or Jennings to really step it up.

Coach - Doc Rivers