• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Houston will pursue Josh Smith if they fail to get Dwight Howard

Joker

This is like trading Dwight for Joe and Ivan. You want fair value. You aren't asking for the world, just fair value. Asking for Griffin is asking for the world. Orlando fans want a legit all star and another stud like Harden and Ibaka. They don't want Joe and Ivan for Dwight.

You still don't get it. Unless Houston desperately wants Josh and Josh wants to stay in Atlanta and Atlanta wants Josh to stay then WE DO NOT have the power here, Houston does. And they're wanting Josh AND Dwight and Dwight is going to consume the better assets that they have, including from the draft. So we can sit here and say that we want their best player and all of their 1st round picks but all Houston are going to do is to laugh and say good luck with losing Josh for nothing next year.

• Premium Member

When did this idea of "you can't let him walk for nothing" invade HS? You will never get a fair deal for him so sign him (which will never happen) or let him go so Ferry can get an early jump on rebuilding.If he is traded it will probably be to a good team with no assets to give in return, and why would a bad team take the risk when Josh is not sure to re-up? Looks like Ferry will be a busy man.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

When did this idea of "you can't let him walk for nothing" invade HS? You will never get a fair deal for him so sign him (which will never happen) or let him go so Ferry can get an early jump on rebuilding.If he is traded it will probably be to a good team with no assets to give in return, and why would a bad team take the risk when Josh is not sure to re-up? Looks like Ferry will be a busy man.

Losing Josh for nothing just makes us a more mediocre playoff team. And we will still be in the luxury. Nothing about that says we can jump start a rebuild.No lottery picks + no cap space = no chance of a rebuild.

Losing Josh for nothing just makes us a more mediocre playoff team. And we will still be in the luxury. Nothing about that says we can jump start a rebuild.No lottery picks + no cap space = no chance of a rebuild.

This is bad logic. We have a shot to be #2 #3 seed and get the ECF and maybe shock the world. With a crap deal, that's not possible.

• Moderators
Some team can offer him 8mil a year and cut our losses. It's not like he's Rashard Lewis. Teams are more than willing to pay Joe 8-10 mil without losing sleep.
The $25M cost for Joe's replacement includes an $8M offset so you are still paying $25M to sign a $13M replacement of Joe next year and that $25M number goes up for the remainder of his contract even if the $13M FA(s) stay the same.

• Premium Member

Sign Josh, keep Josh, this team will still be mediocre. I'm prepared to take a step back in order to take 2 steps forward. Now there is no guarantee that works. One thing I can guarantee: This collection of talent (and coach) will NEVER EVER EVER compete for a EC title more so a NBA championship. Edited by NineOhTheRino

Trading Josh for mediocrity isn't a possibility. So you can come up with whatever but if it's trash. Pass.

• Like 1

Guest Walter

Let me jump in the fray1) If Houston trades for JS then they would likely want to trade Scola (unless they see JS at the 3 next to a smaller Pf)2) Getting Scola without getting rid of MW is a no go for me3) Martin and Lowry have value for the Hawks as we can move JJ to the 3 AND their deals are either reasonable or a reasonable length. Scola/Martin/Lowry/14 for JS/MW/JT is the only deal I think makes sense for both and it's to big.However, if it went through AND 14 got us Leonard or ZellerZaZa/LeonardHorford/Scola/IvanJJ/Harkless, White, or Miller at 23Martin/2nd rderLowryI feel we 2-deep upgrade every position and scoring might actually be better, but...I hope there is a better fit out there for us. W

This is bad logic. We have a shot to be #2 #3 seed and get the ECF and maybe shock the world. With a crap deal, that's not possible.

How many more 1st and 2nd round exits does it take for you to see before they become a fact of life?

Let me jump in the fray1) If Houston trades for JS then they would likely want to trade Scola (unless they see JS at the 3 next to a smaller Pf)2) Getting Scola without getting rid of MW is a no go for me3) Martin and Lowry have value for the Hawks as we can move JJ to the 3 AND their deals are either reasonable or a reasonable length. Scola/Martin/Lowry/14 for JS/MW/JT is the only deal I think makes sense for both and it's to big.However, if it went through AND 14 got us Leonard or ZellerZaZa/LeonardHorford/Scola/IvanJJ/Harkless, White, or Miller at 23Martin/2nd rderLowryI feel we 2-deep upgrade every position and scoring might actually be better, but...I hope there is a better fit out there for us. W

Is that team really any better than what we have? I don't think so. That teams loses in the second round just like now.

Is that team really any better than what we have? I don't think so. That teams loses in the second round just like now.

Right now, with or without Josh, in order to compete at the next level we need a center and a better 2nd scoring option than Josh. If Josh walks for nothing, we will still have those two glaring weaknesses. If we can at least fill one of them while we lose Josh anyway, how is that not better, and also easier, for our new GM to try and fill only one hole instead of two?

Right now, with or without Josh, in order to compete at the next level we need a center and a better 2nd scoring option than Josh. If Josh walks for nothing, we will still have those two glaring weaknesses. If we can at least fill one of them while we lose Josh anyway, how is that not better, and also easier, for our new GM to try and fill only one hole instead of two?

I'm 2 feet planted in the trade Josh camp.......i just hate these Houston deals. I think we can do better, and if we can't then I think we could get a similar deal around the trade deadline......no need to jump the gun for C+ deal.....you can always find a C+ deal.
  • Like 1

Great Deal:Noah for SmithFair Deal:14, 16,18 and Scola for Smith and 23Horrible deal:Most of the ones in this thread. Just C-, D+, D, D- deals.

I'm 2 feet planted in the trade Josh camp.......i just hate these Houston deals. I think we can do better, and if we can't then I think we could get a similar deal around the trade deadline......no need to jump the gun for C+ deal.....you can always find a C+ deal.

For me I'd rather trade Josh now. It allows us to have an extra pick(s) in what's considered one the deepest drafts in ages and it allows us to get that player(s) some time on the court right away through summer league and camps. It also allows us to clear the elephant in the room that is Josh Smith's contract situation which is sure to be a big distraction this season. I don't want to deal him for crap but if we can get a legit starter and a top 15 pick I'd absolutely pull the trigger on the deal unless I was certain beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a better deal out there.
  • Like 1

But Trade Deadline deals is worst in my opinion because you dont know the value of the next draft class and the team isnt going to give u a decent deal for him. Better do it before the draft not during the season.

But Trade Deadline deals is worst in my opinion because you dont know the value of the next draft class and the team isnt going to give u a decent deal for him. Better do it before the draft not during the season.

If they don't know the value of the next draft class then they should be fired. That said, it wouldn't surprise me with our lack of scouting (pre-Ferry) if we don't have a firm grasp on next years draft class.

Guest Walter

I don't disagree. That's why I stated "I hope there is a better fit out there". I was just trying to break down everything as I was seeing it.One thing I agree with Joker on to a degree. I believe Kendall Marshall may be a player that makes the sum greater than its parts. Scola/Martin/14/16 for JS/MW sounds good to me but I don't think Houston does it and I'm skeptical it gets us both Marshall and a center prospect.W